ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Hernia op
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
First off all enjoy the time offtopcat76 wrote:Morning all. I've got a hernia (inguinal) coming up in a month's time. I work in delivery. I just wondered if anyone had experience of this and what was the recovery time. Did you have a period of light duties on your return?
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
Depends what type of op you have, if its keyhole it will be shorter but i had 16 staples and could barely move for two weeks. I couldn't even stand up straight because it felt like it was going to tear lol. Like you said see what you consultant says and take it easy. If you go back too early you can do yourself some damage and i was still getting little bit of pain 6 months after.topcat76 wrote:Cheers for the reply, as long as that? In truth I don't really know how it's going to be. Whilst it's nice to have a break albeit a recovery , I don't wish to be off that long but I shall do as the consultant says.
-
saddlerposty
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 248
- Joined: 08 Mar 2010, 18:20
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
I had a triple hernia done with key hole surgery, blamed on the old days when I used to do bag drops for the non drivers, some of them bags where 25kg+.
6-8 weeks of total rest and light duties for 2 weeks on return, one tip dude stock up on the pain killers for a couple of weeks.
6-8 weeks of total rest and light duties for 2 weeks on return, one tip dude stock up on the pain killers for a couple of weeks.
-
gone postal
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
6 to 8 weeks is the standard recovery time for these procedures.
Mine was 6 weeks off work then 3 weeks on light duties in the locker.
Usually we only have one person in our locker but i was told not to lift
anything over 10kg so i had a buddy working with me.
Mine was 6 weeks off work then 3 weeks on light duties in the locker.
Usually we only have one person in our locker but i was told not to lift
anything over 10kg so i had a buddy working with me.
-
streetwalker
- Posts: 32
- Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 14:02
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
Had mine just over a year ago . Had keyhole but the surgeon said mine was quite severe as it was attached to bowel so a lot of tugging and pulling.. 6 weeks off no light duties . I thought I be back after 2 weeks.. not a chance!
-
postiewhite
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 619
- Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
I had my inguinal op in August. I was given a 3 week sick note from the surgeon then a 2 week and 1 week sick note by the doctor. You are probably expected to be ok and back on phase return within 6 weeks of the op. Royal Mail have a recovery guideline for operations which state 4 to 6 weeks. Even when you go back to work you will feel the odd bit of pain but the doctor says its jusy the healing process and moving around in my job will help it heal which in fairness it did. I think anything over 7 weeks off then RM will presume you are taking the pee. I had open surgery but keyhole the recovery is 3 weeks
-
Godric
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 855
- Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Kingdom of Alba
Hernia op
i had a hernia op 2 days before chrimbo 2010 ... mine was complicated mine was tangled with blood vessels in my right testicle (it was the size of a grapefruit) was told i could lose it ... first thing i did when i woke up was check if both were their ... didn't want to be called Hitler at work
... i was off for 9 weeks
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."
-
CPTNemoUK
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 707
- Joined: 03 Oct 2013, 10:13
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
That made me cross my legs reading that ouchGodric wrote:i had a hernia op 2 days before chrimbo 2010 ... mine was complicated mine was tangled with blood vessels in my right testicle (it was the size of a grapefruit) was told i could lose it ... first thing i did when i woke up was check if both were their ... didn't want to be called Hitler at work... i was off for 9 weeks
-
topcat76
- Posts: 4
- Joined: 04 Mar 2013, 21:18
- Gender: Male
Hernia op
Was hoping would be a breeze but judging by your responses it sounds a bigger. To be honest with you I've put up with it a long time. I just put it down to an on and off groin strain. But of course, getting in and out of a van countless times, twisting, bending etc it just catches up on you.
-
Godric
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 855
- Joined: 17 Oct 2009, 12:08
- Gender: Male
- Location: The Kingdom of Alba
Hernia op
trust me it is .... i thought i would be back working in no time, my recovery was delayed because we had a bad spell of weather after my op the streets were covered in thick snow/ice for the first 6 weeks after my op .. i was like frankenstein when i went back to work i was so stifftopcat76 wrote:It sounds a bigger issue I meant to say. When I have it done I'll take it easy and above all, give it time to recover.
the best advice i can give you is take it easy and don't do anything silly like overstretch or lift any weights ie shopping etc
i had all sort of weird things after my op
"Vi har haft århundraden av kärlek och tillit till varandra."