ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

told to bring passport in.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by daveyeff »

my mate just phoned me. he says the lino's just been on the phone to him and says there's an email just come in from hq to ask him to take his passport in.??? anyone ever had this before? lino says he has no idea why they need to see it....he's not an illegal immigrant. he's from darkest Dunston. :Very Happy
slinder123
Posts: 261
Joined: 25 Oct 2014, 14:44
Gender: Female

told to bring passport in.

Post by slinder123 »

there looking for workers to lapse abroad if they finish too early lol :cuppa
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by postslippete »

Could be used to verify age?? Our employers don't know everything about us, just what we tell them...
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by South_London_Postie »

slinder123 wrote:there looking for workers to lapse abroad if they finish too early lol :cuppa

Hahahaha
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by rubberbond »

daveyeff wrote:my mate just phoned me. he says the lino's just been on the phone to him and says there's an email just come in from hq to ask him to take his passport in.??? anyone ever had this before? lino says he has no idea why they need to see it....he's not an illegal immigrant. he's from darkest Dunston. :Very Happy
I have seen this ,but can't remember what it was about,specifically,as it was about 5 or more years ago,although I think it was just a random thing about proving your citizenship. Nothing to,worry about,just a straightforward process.
teesdale
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 430
Joined: 24 Nov 2007, 16:31

told to bring passport in.

Post by teesdale »

It was about right to work in the uk. I think it is the law to provide evidence of identity for anyone getting a new job. You can bring in your passport or, a birth certificate and national insurance number letter from HM Revenue and Customs. After seeing the manager with a pile of passports in his ink and grease covered hands I applied for new birth certificate £7 and free NI letter which I handed in. As a postman he was a liar and a cheat and seeing some people not get their passports back for three days there was no way I was going to let this low life get his hands on a passport worth £72. I was stunned at the time that I had to prove I was British, never having heard about this before. As we get our country back again, identifying ourselves will probably become even more important.
ysbrydtawel
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 111
Joined: 03 Feb 2013, 20:57
Gender: Male
Location: South West

told to bring passport in.

Post by ysbrydtawel »

teesdale wrote:As we get our country back again
:arrrghhh :arrrghhh :arrrghhh
We have a perfect record in aviation: we never left one up there.
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by wacko74 »

I had to go through all this BS when returning from a career break, HR basically treated me like a new employee.
kookoo32
Posts: 187
Joined: 10 Oct 2008, 20:34
Gender: Male
Location: scotland

told to bring passport in.

Post by kookoo32 »

I think I had done around 15 years service when I was asked to bring mine in to prove I was a citizen and had the right to work in the UK :roll:
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by Mobey »

I think it's proof to work in this country, it happened to me. Apparently I hadn't photocopied it properly and half of it was missing. (Which it wasn't) it was only picked up when I had done two months. They said I shouldn't have been allowed to work. I asked my dom about it and asked if they messed up and he agreed. Once they photocopied it, they sent it special delivery and I didn't hear anything more about it.
theargyspy
Posts: 252
Joined: 23 Apr 2007, 17:02
Gender: Male
Location: UK

told to bring passport in.

Post by theargyspy »

daveyeff wrote:my mate just phoned me. he says the lino's just been on the phone to him and says there's an email just come in from hq to ask him to take his passport in.??? anyone ever had this before? lino says he has no idea why they need to see it....he's not an illegal immigrant. he's from darkest Dunston. :Very Happy
So what happens if you don't have a passport? or you refused to bring it in? could be interesting if you say "sorry I don't have a passport" maybe they will ask for some other form of identity...I would show them my Royal Mail i.d card :crazy:

so no passport, bring in your driving licence, sorry don't have a driving licence. bring in your birth certificate, having a copy of a birth certificate doesn't prove the person presenting the birth certificate is the person on the certificate, after all they don't have your photo on, and if they did it would be of a baby ffs
"Never have I known an employee so keen to employ you, then so eager to get rid of you!"
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by PHARRY »

:cool
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by eastie »

and what if you haven't got a passport?
therailway
Posts: 100
Joined: 20 Feb 2009, 11:37
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by therailway »

Apply for one, when it arrives give it to DOM with receipt for reimbursement. You were following a reasonable request, priceless :nana
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

told to bring passport in.

Post by daveyeff »

it was exactly what someone said previously, he has to prove his citizenship. ha, what a farce. he,s only been working for them for 20 years. :crazy: