ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Archimedes1989
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Jan 2017, 09:45
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Archimedes1989 »

For those who have bothered to check by using a step counter app on your phone ?

Dont want this to turn into dick measuring contest of look how far i walk i walk further than you type thing lol, just legit how far your round is in steps or distance and also time taken to complete
Justanotherstar
Posts: 351
Joined: 28 Dec 2012, 10:43
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Justanotherstar »

Archimedes1989 wrote:For those who have bothered to check by using a step counter app on your phone ?

Dont want this to turn into dick measuring contest of look how far i walk i walk further than you type thing lol, just legit how far your round is in steps or distance and also time taken to complete
8 & and half on a cold day...
RobertT
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 6694
Joined: 09 Sep 2007, 14:26
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by RobertT »

I've got a GPS watch that I use for running, but it also has an 'activity tracker' which tells me I walk between 9 & 10 miles a day while working.
Links to all RM pension related websites are here
electronica500
Posts: 14
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 17:43
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by electronica500 »

Gps says i do 13 miles a day, hct duty, from the signing out book, and back to the signing in book
Anyone beat that
Oh and 31000 steps, and 1500 calories, 4hours 30 mins roughly
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by ewancurze »

Anything from 21,000 steps on an "Easy" day up to as much as 35,000 if I do a Night before delivery.That includes indoor walking while sorting etc.
Today about 25000 which is about 18Km.
I use the Fitbit app on my phone which seems to be a good one.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Spedley »

About 7 miles. I used my GPS tracker but on the wrong setting (doh) when I had a 100% drop day. I clocked almost exactly 4mph and averaged 2mph for 3.5 hours.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by enskied »

Can't get mine under 18 km and it's not the biggest duty. that's just the delivery. Told a revision is happening... but there seems to be nothing happening.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Clared »

Depends on which days Mon Tuesday around 27,000 steps Wed onwards 35,000. Most I've ever done in a day was about 40,000 but that was with OT
Archimedes1989
Posts: 8
Joined: 15 Jan 2017, 09:45
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Archimedes1989 »

Jesus lol

I have been applying for a few postman jobs recently, no interviews as of yet

I took my dog out yesterday and thought right ill do a big walk to see how it feels

I done 14.47km or 8.5 miles or 21000 steps roughly, in 3 and a bit hours. I wasnt walking at speed or anything, but just a comfortable walk, and occasionally stopping for a minute of two while my dog said hello to other dogs

Seems some of you lot are going much further and also faster, on a daily basis and with added weight

When i got home from that walk my feet were killing me, it felt amazing to get in bed

Ill have another go tomorrow, ill aim for 25000 steps this time in about 4 hours
Acca Dacca
Posts: 3220
Joined: 16 Aug 2009, 17:13
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Acca Dacca »

average about 20,000 but have long stride
If you tolerate this, then your paid break will be next
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by ewancurze »

So,I suppose when/If 6hr deliverys come in we will be doing between 30000 to about 45000 steps a day.
Should be easy though as you will get a 20min break half way round :crazy:
yubin282
Posts: 993
Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
Gender: Male

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by yubin282 »

anywhere between 18k - 23k is normal for me thats just on delivery not including indoor work
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by nickbsmooth »

About 8.5miles on the delivery ,it's 20000+ steps and maybe 4000 or so going up and down stairs and steep sets of steps.
fb1969
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1693
Joined: 29 Aug 2012, 08:38
Gender: Male
Location: hiding on the backstreets

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by fb1969 »

Averaging 8 to 10 miles on delivery, plus at least 1 mile in the DO beforehand sorting the packets.

Good idea with the "practising" Archimedes1989.
Royal Mail
failing the workforce, failing the public and deliberately failing mail on a daily basis for too many years.
Clared
Posts: 122
Joined: 08 Jul 2016, 12:18
Gender: Female

How far do you walk on your rounds ?

Post by Clared »

Archimedes1989 wrote:Jesus lol

I have been applying for a few postman jobs recently, no interviews as of yet

I took my dog out yesterday and thought right ill do a big walk to see how it feels

I done 14.47km or 8.5 miles or 21000 steps roughly, in 3 and a bit hours. I wasnt walking at speed or anything, but just a comfortable walk, and occasionally stopping for a minute of two while my dog said hello to other dogs

Seems some of you lot are going much further and also faster, on a daily basis and with added weight

When i got home from that walk my feet were killing me, it felt amazing to get in bed

Ill have another go tomorrow, ill aim for 25000 steps this time in about 4 hours
Suppose it depends on the length of your walk. I currently have been on a medium walk today & I did 28,000