ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Time to leave
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
After nearly 3 years I've decided I've had enough of royal mail and I'm hopefully starting a new job in the next few weeks.
Sick of being a 2nd class citizen as a 'part timer' , every Tuesday off, only consecutive days off about twice in the last year, getting moved all over the place with no notice during 'summer time' working, less holidays than full timers regardless of how much overtime I do etc etc.
The last 18 months or so have been better as I've been at a different office doing rurals about half the time. The first year or so was a joke, supposed to be based at an office about 10 miles away but never saw it once, every day at an office 45 mins away doing the longest round there, staying on Saturdays to prep d2d's for the following week after all the full timers had gone home (there were about 200 more on my round than any others there, obviously I only got paid half as much for delivering these ).
I think the only reason I stuck it out at first was the thought I might get my own easy round one day. The trouble is now things are a little easier in respect to the actual delivery - most of the time, i'm still treated like s**t as a part timer and only now I've realised mostly through this forum how much I was shafted to begin with it just makes me resent the job and royal mail.
My notice period is 4 weeks I might tell my manager i'm happy to work a week or so, or I might just walk out.
Good luck everyone
Sick of being a 2nd class citizen as a 'part timer' , every Tuesday off, only consecutive days off about twice in the last year, getting moved all over the place with no notice during 'summer time' working, less holidays than full timers regardless of how much overtime I do etc etc.
The last 18 months or so have been better as I've been at a different office doing rurals about half the time. The first year or so was a joke, supposed to be based at an office about 10 miles away but never saw it once, every day at an office 45 mins away doing the longest round there, staying on Saturdays to prep d2d's for the following week after all the full timers had gone home (there were about 200 more on my round than any others there, obviously I only got paid half as much for delivering these ).
I think the only reason I stuck it out at first was the thought I might get my own easy round one day. The trouble is now things are a little easier in respect to the actual delivery - most of the time, i'm still treated like s**t as a part timer and only now I've realised mostly through this forum how much I was shafted to begin with it just makes me resent the job and royal mail.
My notice period is 4 weeks I might tell my manager i'm happy to work a week or so, or I might just walk out.
Good luck everyone
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
What's your new job?
Btw, D2D money (delivery supplement) is incorporated into PTers OT rate up until 39 hours, it's called SSPR, so you didn't lose out there.
Btw, D2D money (delivery supplement) is incorporated into PTers OT rate up until 39 hours, it's called SSPR, so you didn't lose out there.
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
It's mostly till work with a bit of bar work and prepping/cooking etc at a holiday place. Like I said not been officially offered it yet, But I really am ready to leave anyway. Have an interview at another place Monday.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Time to leave
4 Weeks Notice?!
you get paid weekly so only have to give a weeks notice, was it your DOM who told you otherwise?
you get paid weekly so only have to give a weeks notice, was it your DOM who told you otherwise?
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
My first contract was a week I checked my newest one from 2015 tonight it says 4 weeks.
Seems they slipped that in to a lot of new contracts reading similar recent posts.
Seems they slipped that in to a lot of new contracts reading similar recent posts.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Time to leave
you still get paid weekly though?
and you get paid for the week your are working, not a week in hand.
get the other job, work out that week and just either go sick or just not turn up.
don't let them hold you to ransom over the 4 week notice.
whats the worse that can happen if you don't go in on a Monday? they sack you ;)
and you get paid for the week your are working, not a week in hand.
get the other job, work out that week and just either go sick or just not turn up.
don't let them hold you to ransom over the 4 week notice.
whats the worse that can happen if you don't go in on a Monday? they sack you ;)
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
I get paid a week in hand so
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Overtime is paid a week in hand. Contract pay is paid for that week.indurain wrote:I get paid a week in hand so
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Unfortunately a lot of New Posties learn the hard way, and because they're eager to please, and create a good impression, the DOMs always take advantage.
Good Luck in your new job. 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
walkthewalk
- Posts: 220
- Joined: 29 Mar 2011, 12:37
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
How sad how very sad so I would like to say on my employers behalf good luck for the future, furthermore you are not the first and will be by no means the last to condemn our Moyà Green strict inhalation of Royal Mail staff. "Good Luck"indurain wrote:After nearly 3 years I've decided I've had enough of royal mail and I'm hopefully starting a new job in the next few weeks.
Sick of being a 2nd class citizen as a 'part timer' , every Tuesday off, only consecutive days off about twice in the last year, getting moved all over the place with no notice during 'summer time' working, less holidays than full timers regardless of how much overtime I do etc etc.
The last 18 months or so have been better as I've been at a different office doing rurals about half the time. The first year or so was a joke, supposed to be based at an office about 10 miles away but never saw it once, every day at an office 45 mins away doing the longest round there, staying on Saturdays to prep d2d's for the following week after all the full timers had gone home (there were about 200 more on my round than any others there, obviously I only got paid half as much for delivering these ).
I think the only reason I stuck it out at first was the thought I might get my own easy round one day. The trouble is now things are a little easier in respect to the actual delivery - most of the time, i'm still treated like s**t as a part timer and only now I've realised mostly through this forum how much I was shafted to begin with it just makes me resent the job and royal mail.
My notice period is 4 weeks I might tell my manager i'm happy to work a week or so, or I might just walk out.
Good luck everyone
-
iHateD2Ds
- Posts: 548
- Joined: 16 Apr 2008, 16:33
Time to leave
GOod Luck Buddy
WOrking for Royal Mail is a MInd Game the workplace is full of unfairness ,inequality and dick heads.
You where thrown in at the deep end and deserve a pat on the back ,many people would have walk out within two weeks!
Sounds like you are over the worse and should you end up staying, I would just try switching off, do your hours and go home.
In regards to your travelling time if RM employed you to work at an office nearer your home then you should get paid excess travelling time but this depends whats written on your contract when you accepted the offer.
Have a word with your union rep.
WOrking for Royal Mail is a MInd Game the workplace is full of unfairness ,inequality and dick heads.
You where thrown in at the deep end and deserve a pat on the back ,many people would have walk out within two weeks!
Sounds like you are over the worse and should you end up staying, I would just try switching off, do your hours and go home.
In regards to your travelling time if RM employed you to work at an office nearer your home then you should get paid excess travelling time but this depends whats written on your contract when you accepted the offer.
Have a word with your union rep.
-
lightningpostman
- Posts: 271
- Joined: 22 Apr 2015, 20:54
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
yea so what , if the pt does no overtime and still does 5 days worth of d2d, they do not get a single penny but do the same amount of d2d's as a ft.norm wrote:What's your new job?
Btw, D2D money (delivery supplement) is incorporated into PTers OT rate up until 39 hours, it's called SSPR, so you didn't lose out there.
this needs to get changed as its a completely unfair system.
-
mbavelja
- Posts: 60
- Joined: 19 Sep 2009, 12:55
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
Full time staff and part time staff get paid exactly the same amount for delivering D2D - precisely nothing.lightningpostman wrote:yea so what , if the pt does no overtime and still does 5 days worth of d2d, they do not get a single penny but do the same amount of d2d's as a ft.norm wrote:What's your new job?
Btw, D2D money (delivery supplement) is incorporated into PTers OT rate up until 39 hours, it's called SSPR, so you didn't lose out there.
this needs to get changed as its a completely unfair system.
There is no payment for delivering D2D.
Full time staff and part time staff get paid exactly the same hourly rate for receiving a delivery supplement.
Round up the usual suspects.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Time to leave
I think you've been your own worst enemy, sorry. There was no need to stay behind ever, if you didn't want the overtime.indurain wrote: staying on Saturdays to prep d2d's for the following week after all the full timers had gone home
If you went to an office 45 mins away, thats 1.5 hrs travelling everyday. If your contract was 5 hrs a day, that's THREE hrs a day you need to work (30 mins break).
I'd love that, love it!
Your notice is one week.
You have my sympathies, and I understand why you are so bitter, but I think you've been naive.
Good luck.
-
indurain
- Posts: 26
- Joined: 10 Jan 2014, 00:21
- Gender: Male
Time to leave
I would have to agree you for being naïve, but also I was never told until a year or so later you can claim travel time I was only ever told to claim mileage. When you're new how are you supposed to know when it's a small office and no one else is in the same situation or tells you?
Again, I was on the worst round but there were one or two posties there who would say thing like ' oh it's really not much harder than this round' etc.
How do you know when you're new and you've only done the one round?
Again, I was on the worst round but there were one or two posties there who would say thing like ' oh it's really not much harder than this round' etc.
How do you know when you're new and you've only done the one round?