Hi. Has anyone successfully returned to royal mail after leaving?
Basically I was a postman for a year until a few months ago. I started college but not enjoying it and kind of miss the job even though there are plenty of tough days.
Only problem is that I didn't give notice as there was a mix up with college sending me a letter and then calling 2 days before the start asking if I'm still enrolling.i did feel bad not being able to as our depot boss was actually a good one
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Returning to job
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
Roadie82 wrote:Hi. Has anyone successfully returned to royal mail after leaving?
Basically I was a postman for a year until a few months ago. I started college but not enjoying it and kind of miss the job even though there are plenty of tough days.
Only problem is that I didn't give notice as there was a mix up with college sending me a letter and then calling 2 days before the start asking if I'm still enrolling.i did feel bad not being able to as our depot boss was actually a good one
The question I would have thought is:
"Has anyone wanted to return to RM after leaving?"
To be honest if the manager was OK I'd speak to him, call him and see. It's not usual that I've seen on here for people to come back, but you never know!
-
nuisance
- Posts: 215
- Joined: 06 Oct 2016, 12:57
- Gender: Female
Returning to job
I worked as a delivery postwoman for two and a half years, eighteen to fifteen years ago. I enjoyed it a lot then though found it hard going when I went up from part time to full time. I left because I managed to get a great job in the industry I trained in. Stayed there fifteen years through many changes there, recently moved for my husband's job and have returned to being a postie. I love it again so far! The walks are longer and the pressure of being in a pair rather than on your own makes it harder in a way, but now you get vans, trolleys, days off, training on unfamiliar walks.... And you're still getting paid to exercise outdoors all day. Its really not changed much. 
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
Karen 12345 wrote:I worked as a delivery postwoman for two and a half years, eighteen to fifteen years ago. I enjoyed it a lot then though found it hard going when I went up from part time to full time. I left because I managed to get a great job in the industry I trained in. Stayed there fifteen years through many changes there, recently moved for my husband's job and have returned to being a postie. I love it again so far! The walks are longer and the pressure of being in a pair rather than on your own makes it harder in a way, but now you get vans, trolleys, days off, training on unfamiliar walks.... And you're still getting paid to exercise outdoors all day. Its really not changed much.
Crikey! Is there a DO in 'Paradise City' we don't know about??
-
Roadie82
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 15:54
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
Yeah to be fair my office was good compared to what I've heard on here, had training and support if on a new route etc.managers door was always open if had a problem. All equipment was provided. Just a shame I was unable to give proper notice
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
Come on, if you'd explained your circumstances to your college they would have let you start a week later. Sounds like you walked off the job because you thought you wouldn't be back and knew you could. Why should RM have you back, when they could give somebody more willing a chance.Roadie82 wrote:I was unable to give proper notice
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
Provided you weren't sacked I shouldn't think there would be a problem.
I'd have thought Royal mail would be keen to recruit ANYONE that has previous experience, means they have to spend less on training! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Roadie82
- Posts: 9
- Joined: 14 Oct 2015, 15:54
- Gender: Male
Returning to job
I left to start college and didn't receive an acceptance letter, got a phone call a couple of days before the start asking if I'm still interested as I didn't enrol.