ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Hello everyone, I've been a postie 3 months, I've been on a duty for the last week as a walker but tomorrow the driver is off and the manager has put me down as the driver as the other postie who is normally the walker cant drive, I've never done that part of the duty tomorrow and I've never been a driver before, what should I do?
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Have you had the RM driver assessment yet? If not, then you shouldn't be getting asked to drive.
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Yeh I've had the assessment but never drove for them before, except to deliver a couple of parcels during Christmas time, no idea how the driver side of things on a duty works, where to park the van don't even no the walksgreengiant wrote:Have you had the RM driver assessment yet? If not, then you shouldn't be getting asked to drive.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Have you had a change-over, which is an assessment of your driving and have Royal Mail checked your licence? If the answer to either or both of these is no then you shouldn't be driving a RM vehicle. Also have you been trained to do vehicle checks etc and how to record them? I'd be very careful about agrreeing to drive. What normally happens at our place in this situation is that they get a driver to drop the two posties off using a bigger van with three seats, like a transit.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Yes I have done all of the above, apart from the licence check, it's been checked but not by the depot they couldn't do it and kept failing.Pompey Boy wrote:Have you had a change-over, which is an assessment of your driving and have Royal Mail checked your licence? If the answer to either or both of these is no then you shouldn't be driving a RM vehicle. Also have you been trained to do vehicle checks etc and how to record them? I'd be very careful about agrreeing to drive. What normally happens at our place in this situation is that they get a driver to drop the two posties off using a bigger van with three seats, like a transit.
-
Pompey Boy
- Posts: 428
- Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Sorry just seen that you have been assessed. You can't relly refuse to drive then. The non-driver should know where to park for each loop. Just tell your guvnor that you've never driven for RM before and so will be slow. So either cut-off or agree docket before you go out. Good luck!
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Thanks, I'll take my time to be shown it correctly, so I'll try and arrange to get the last loop droppedPompey Boy wrote:Sorry just seen that you have been assessed. You can't relly refuse to drive then. The non-driver should know where to park for each loop. Just tell your guvnor that you've never driven for RM before and so will be slow. So either cut-off or agree docket before you go out. Good luck!
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
If your passenger knows the walk you have nothing to worry about. Chill out driving is easy, it's the same job you just move the van a few times. Every driver has had a first day too. Your passenger should be taking up the slack to help you out and don't forget to ask them to run you through what you need to do when you get in. Obviously that's the managers job but....this is Royal Mail and the managers are 'sub-par'.

-
salomon2
- Posts: 103
- Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
- Gender: Female
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Be organised, I presume you roughly know the area. Download a few street maps of the area or make sure google maps on your phone is up to date. When bundling up your round keep the packets in the same trays and number the front of each tray so it should take you on the route and save you missing any packets. Try not to walk too far without moving the van. If your unsure of some odd houses then even ask before going out or ask if someone else can take them. Find out who else knows the round and get their number so you can ring if needed. But you'll be fine just be organised I've even taken photos of the frame so I can look at them if I get lost. Done plenty blind and only brought back a few random addressed. Make sure you know where the specials are and write them down so you can drive to them early if needed and save you panicking.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
salomon2 wrote:Be organised, I presume you roughly know the area. Download a few street maps of the area or make sure google maps on your phone is up to date. When bundling up your round keep the packets in the same trays and number the front of each tray so it should take you on the route and save you missing any packets. Try not to walk too far without moving the van. If your unsure of some odd houses then even ask before going out or ask if someone else can take them. Find out who else knows the round and get their number so you can ring if needed. But you'll be fine just be organised I've even taken photos of the frame so I can look at them if I get lost. Done plenty blind and only brought back a few random addressed. Make sure you know where the specials are and write them down so you can drive to them early if needed and save you panicking.
I find open streetmap tends to get map updates for new areas quicker than google maps.
-
ripio
- Posts: 233
- Joined: 06 Sep 2008, 23:32
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Get the managers to print out a map for you, they should have maps of all duties with the loops marked on them in different colours.
Get someone who knows the walks to mark your parking spots for each loop on the map. (passenger won't necessarily know all of these if you don't both start loops at the same location).
Specials and large packets will probably be the only nuisances, allow for extra time to find addresses.
Get someone who knows the walks to mark your parking spots for each loop on the map. (passenger won't necessarily know all of these if you don't both start loops at the same location).
Specials and large packets will probably be the only nuisances, allow for extra time to find addresses.
-
gone postal
- Posts: 98
- Joined: 16 May 2012, 19:30
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Don't forget your van checks bud, 
-
madmax1
- Posts: 72
- Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Definitely get all the parking spots and order of the loops. I'll never forget the time I went out on a van-share as the driver on a walk I'd not done before. DOM said 'dont worry, Fred knows it.' Off we went, and the conversation with Fred went something like: 'You drop me here and pick me up at the end of the road when you've done your loop'. 'OK, no worries, where's my first loop?'. 'No idea mate, the driver drops me here and drives off in that directionripio wrote:Get the managers to print out a map for you, they should have maps of all duties with the loops marked on them in different colours.
Get someone who knows the walks to mark your parking spots for each loop on the map. (passenger won't necessarily know all of these if you don't both start loops at the same location).
Specials and large packets will probably be the only nuisances, allow for extra time to find addresses.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
was going to say the same ! just like everyone else doesnt ! lolgone postal wrote:Don't forget your van checks bud, :thumbup
But yeah would be a good habit to get into to actually do the checks.
-
Decpassat06
- Posts: 65
- Joined: 29 Aug 2016, 22:16
- Gender: Male
Worried about tomorrow, advice needed
Just got home, went ok even though I hadn't the foggiest clue as to where i was going, one loop I just couldn't understand even where to start and my partner didn't know either so I left it, don't think the manager was happy at all but apart from that one bag we got the rest done and finished on our time, I've been told I should have training on a new duty is this true ?Postie45 wrote:was going to say the same ! just like everyone else doesnt ! lolgone postal wrote:Don't forget your van checks bud,
But yeah would be a good habit to get into to actually do the checks.