ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Annual Leave

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Annual Leave

Post by stephen.cal87 »

I've booked the second week off in February to go skiing but I also need the Saturday before off as that's the day we fly out. I handed in a leave sheet in November for it, but I herd that they cannot decline this request? Is this true? I hate the way it's weeks of thinking will they won't they.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Annual Leave

Post by yellowbelly »

stephen.cal87 wrote:...but I herd that they cannot decline this request?...............
They can decline a leave request whenever they want I would imagine, but they would have to be playing
mind twisted games of the highest order if they are aware of the circumstances of your request and refuse to give you it.

The question is has it been granted/declined or are management playing mind games keeping it in the pending tray?

Govt. advice (it might be law, I'm not sure) is that they can cancel a leave request that has already been granted
(and if I remember rightly from other threads) as long as they give an amount of notice that is as long as the leave requested.
So to cancel a weeks leave they have to tell you a week in advance.

To book a weeks leave I think the same rule is you would have to give RM two weeks notice - twice the amount of leave requested - good luck trying those timescales
with RM!!

I'd pin your management down and check to see if you got both the week and the single day, then take it from there - which might
be swapping day off that week, unpaid days leave etc. but my opinion is that any manager worthy of the title should be able to
manage leave requests three months in advance, but it is RM we're working for.......
stephen.cal87
Posts: 72
Joined: 19 May 2016, 12:59
Gender: Male

Annual Leave

Post by stephen.cal87 »

I would have to say it's in the 'pending' tray as I've not had it confirmed nor denied. As for the full week off I've already signed for that week on our leave sheet passed around months ago. I've herd of people being denied days off like this before, but I was also told in these circumstances they cannot refuse you if it ties into your weeks holidays. Thanks for the feedback