ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Overtime not being paid

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
mattandbenny
Posts: 69
Joined: 14 Jan 2015, 13:44
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by mattandbenny »

So i started on a permanent 24 hour week contract in the middle of November. Been doing anything from 30 - 38 hour weeks and the first few weeks it was paid fine, however last week i was underpaid 2 hours. I told my manager and game him a list of the hours i worked (i always put my o/t on the o/t sheet) and he said to leave it with him. Lo and behold i look at my payslip this week and not only have i not been paid the 2 hours, but they underpaid me by 5 hours for last week. So now i am owed 7 hours.

Just wanted to check that by law etc i have to be paid this overtime - they asked me to come in early and/or stay out and finish the round off without cutting off. As when i approach my manager saying i am now owed 7 hours i am half expecting him to fog me off with an excuse like 'theres no overtime available' or some other reason not to pay me. Any advice?
South_London_Postie
Posts: 306
Joined: 18 Nov 2016, 19:58
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by South_London_Postie »

Believe me you are not alone this is happening nationally . Royal Mail will pay you for any "Agreed" overtime you do. The key word here is agreed, make sure you speak to your manager and let him know you will be doing the overtime, never just do it and expect to be paid. How you go about getting it is another story. Me personally I would go in tomorrow morning and have a firm word explaining I want my overtime paid at the soonest possible opportunity and if this scenario happens again tell him you will be putting in a grievance and getting the union involved. Make it be clear you will be doing no more overtime until the situation is resolved. Once you start cutting off maybe he might realise how important it is to pay his staff on time. you can bet your bottom dollar his golden boys (Runners) got Their pay on time.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

This has happened to everyone at Royal Mail at some time or another. Sometimes there is a genuine mistake mostly though, in my experience they are trying to get away with not paying. Not all staff kick up a fuss, especially if they are on probation etc. The standard (unofficial) way to deal with this is to tell the manager you are only working your hours until the overtime is paid. Don't take their word for it. Make sure you see it on your payslip. And ask them about it everyday. Have you booked my overtime yet? Will I see it on my payslip this week? I would be interested in knowing what the official procedure is for this though.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Overtime not being paid

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

The unpaid overtime may be down to Christmas rather than a negligent manager.

Pay dates and payroll processes remain the same for weekly paid employees, with current week basic pay, assigned allowances and previous week’s additional hours and ad hoc adjustments paid each Friday. Due to the impact of bank / public holidays on payroll operations, the following arrangements apply:

Weekly-Paid Contracted Employees

w/c 28th November (pay date Friday 2nd December)
Regular Pay (Basic & assigned allowances)
Overtime / SA / Ad hoc allowances performed w/c 21st November

w/c 5th December (pay date Friday 9th December)
Regular Pay (Basic & assigned allowances)
Overtime / SA / Ad hoc allowances performed w/c 28th November

w/c 12th December (pay date Friday 16th December)
Regular Pay (Basic & assigned allowances)
Overtime / SA / Ad hoc allowances performed w/c 5th December

w/c 19th December (pay date Friday 23rd December)
Regular Pay (Basic & assigned allowances)
Overtime / SA / Ad hoc allowances performed w/c 12th December
So anything due w/c 19 Decemeber (this week) will come after the new year. :sad:
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

Isn't overtime done in Mon 19- Fri 23 Dec due on Fri 30 Dec pay date and overtime done on Sat 24th due on the 6th Jan?
Last edited by woopesh on 23 Dec 2016, 17:15, edited 3 times in total.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

Also, someone should mention overtime is paid a week in arrears and its counted SAT - FRI.

So if you did overtime on Sat 3rd Dec, it won't appear on Fri 9th Dec paydate but Fri 16th Dec instead. It will be rolled up with your overtime done Mon 5th to Fri 9th Dec. I don't know why this is. It makes it confusing and you have to keep carrying a day over between two pay slips. It would be easier if they counted overtime MON - SAT so you could look at one payslip instead.

I suppose you could cut off every Saturday so this isn't a problem. A few posties I know do this. Go home early on a Sat and be able to see if they have been paid last weeks overtime with with just one payslip.
KeyPersonnel
Posts: 3
Joined: 11 Sep 2016, 09:48
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by KeyPersonnel »

I'm in the same position, recently started on a 24 hour contract. Paid for 5.35 hours OT this week despite booking 8.05. So I'm missing 2 and a half hours. Not sure if it's a mistake, a delay or down to overtime not being agreed on. My gut feeling is that they're fobbing me off, but I don't yet have the confidence to kick up a fuss when I'm relatively new. I'll take this opportunity to say that the job is a f*cking joke when it comes to the integration of new members of staff on OPG, and treatment of staff in general. I was never expecting the workforce to feel so oppressed and fed up. The negative atmosphere is already taking its toll on me.
yellowbelly
Posts: 3725
Joined: 23 Jun 2015, 15:51
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by yellowbelly »

woopesh wrote:Also, someone should mention overtime is paid a week in arrears and its counted SAT - FRI.

So if you did overtime on Sat 3rd Dec, it won't appear on Fri 9th Dec paydate but Fri 16th Dec instead. It will be rolled up with your overtime done Mon 5th to Fri 9th Dec. I don't know why this is. It makes it confusing and you have to keep carrying a day over between two pay slips. It would be easier if they counted overtime MON - SAT so you could look at one payslip instead.

I suppose you could cut off every Saturday so this isn't a problem. A few posties I know do this. Go home early on a Sat and be able to see if they have been paid last weeks overtime with with just one payslip.
All my O/T gets done on the single payslip the following Friday as long as the admin staff get it entered on 'the system' by a certain time on the Monday.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

Different systems for different regions / offices? I was told overtime has to be inputted by Friday to be paid the Friday after.
Tiddler
Posts: 30
Joined: 20 Jun 2011, 21:47
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by Tiddler »

Officially RM's working week is Mon -Sun.
Overtime can normally be keyed up to lunchtime on Tuesday for the previous week but ideally should be keyed by Monday.
For this week w/c 19th Dec, payroll closed early at lunchtime yesterday (Fri) so depending on when you worked the overtime & the duty time of the person who keys your overtime, you should get all o/t up to and including Thursday in next weeks pay. Any o/t for Fri & Sat will be paid on 6th Jan.
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

KeyPersonnel wrote:I'm in the same position, recently started on a 24 hour contract. Paid for 5.35 hours OT this week despite booking 8.05. So I'm missing 2 and a half hours. Not sure if it's a mistake, a delay or down to overtime not being agreed on. My gut feeling is that they're fobbing me off, but I don't yet have the confidence to kick up a fuss when I'm relatively new. I'll take this opportunity to say that the job is a f*cking joke when it comes to the integration of new members of staff on OPG, and treatment of staff in general. I was never expecting the workforce to feel so oppressed and fed up. The negative atmosphere is already taking its toll on me.
Yes, I hear you. I've notice since starting at Royal Mail, I've felt constantly tired, both mentally and physically. I thought it might lift once I settled in, but the feelings have only got worse over time. It doesn't help that senior and direct management are generally crap but I think a large part of it is due commercial pressures. Most delivery business staff face immense pressure to deliver the maximum amount for the minimum cost. I've chatted to DHL, Ocado etc. on my rounds and they have all said the same. In short, I'm beginning to see working in this type business is not for me. It seems to suit those with macho attitudes willing to cut corners in order to make it work. 90% of the old timers I know are f**k this, f**k that, huff and puff, round I go, in the minimum time. Some seem to thrive on it, they get round as fast as they can, finish early and they glow with pride, like they are well hard. This sort of thinking does nothing for me. I'm planning my exit.
Wallsince70
Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Jun 2016, 21:13
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by Wallsince70 »

Woopesh ,
How long have you been with RM for ?
woopesh
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 230
Joined: 30 Dec 2015, 22:02
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by woopesh »

Wallsince70 wrote:Woopesh ,
How long have you been with RM for ?
Longer than a year. I've gotten over the three month fitness hump and developed all the delivery speed I can muster. Improvements started to cap out about 8 months in. All the old timers kept telling me the walks just get longer and longer and I've witnessed revisions go through which confirmed it. The newer walks are much longer but we are pressed by management to finish them on time which I literally find impossible. So there lots of issues with overtime. Honestly can only see more stress and more s**t as we go forward. Someone at the top is going to call for greater financial returns and since no one has any imagination or inclination to invest in efficiency, I think they will just keep bumping up the length of the walks. It's time to call it a day.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Overtime not being paid

Post by wannabeek »

I know it's hard Woopesh as I have been in that exact situation. I had a clear choice of jack it in or stay put.

I'm still here, but just doing what I have to every day, yet making a good plan for the future. (It won't involve working for RM, guaranteed.)

For me, it's a big psychological relief to work each day as a means to a different goal rather than feel forced to slog along because there is no other way out. I'm doing the same work each day but feeling better about it, if that makes any sense.

Just don't do anything rash, you may regret it.