ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Christmas tips
-
mb1
- Posts: 27
- Joined: 10 Feb 2016, 17:34
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
Can anyone tell me what the eticate for christmas tips when you are a day off cover on a rota? I cover 3 rounds and was given a tip today, shall i give it to the regular postwoman? I cover her round 2 days a week. I don't want anything that is not mine but contribute to the service that the tip has been given for.
-
Trolleyed
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 56
- Joined: 16 Dec 2014, 18:06
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
Not sure really. Last year my day off cover and the packet driver brought back tips from my round and left them on my frame for me so I split them 50/50. However, I know for a fact I'm the only one in our office who does this. I just think it's the right thing to do.
-
Surreypostie
- Posts: 999
- Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
If my cover picks up tips when I am off, good luck to them I say. They aren't yours as a right just because you do the duty the majority of the time.
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
you were given the tip, its yours. If the other postwoman gives you a 1/3 cut of her tips then i think you should give her the 2/3 of the tip given to you this time. I very much doubt you`ll see any of her tips so enjoy this one.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
I always tell my float,Keep what you get.
Good luck to anyone who gets a tip and those regulars who believe that the float should hand the tip back to them,Give your head a massive wobble.
On another note,I must be a grumpy s**t,I deliver to just over 700 houses and last year i made £33
To be honest im not a grump,I just dont go out of my way to chat to any customer,A couple of oldies but thats about it and over half of the houses are on a pretty run down housing estate and not much cash floating about there,Especially for the postman who brings the bills.
Some in our place are seriously obsessed with tips,Its quite embarrasing to see,But each to their own.
Good luck to anyone who gets a tip and those regulars who believe that the float should hand the tip back to them,Give your head a massive wobble.
On another note,I must be a grumpy s**t,I deliver to just over 700 houses and last year i made £33
Some in our place are seriously obsessed with tips,Its quite embarrasing to see,But each to their own.
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
In my experience it's only the rurals that get serious tips. no surprise really as these are the only duties that are cushy enough for the postie to have the time to do the old fashioned things like stop and chat with customers.
-
weary_posty
- Posts: 225
- Joined: 01 Jul 2011, 15:08
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
Lad in our office writes out 600 Christmas cards and sticks them in with his D2Ds at the start of the month.
It's fair to say he does pretty well one the tips front
It's fair to say he does pretty well one the tips front
-
zombiepostman
- Posts: 41
- Joined: 17 Apr 2014, 18:13
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
I can't believe you lot i have a town round of 600 calls and picked up nearly £1000 last year i talk to my customers and put myself out for them, my rest day cover gets a sixth and holiday cover the same,the bottles of booze i share out,
My round consists of council houses and some big houses (the council give me the most)
So i think it comes down how you treat people,its a pity our dick of a manager can't be the same with us
My round consists of council houses and some big houses (the council give me the most)
So i think it comes down how you treat people,its a pity our dick of a manager can't be the same with us
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
if i spent time chatting to customers id never get around, glad you have the time, enjoy your tips !zombiepostman wrote:I can't believe you lot i have a town round of 600 calls and picked up nearly £1000 last year i talk to my customers and put myself out for them, my rest day cover gets a sixth and holiday cover the same,the bottles of booze i share out,
My round consists of council houses and some big houses (the council give me the most)
So i think it comes down how you treat people,its a pity our dick of a manager can't be the same with us
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
You've got a single man duty with 600 calls? Really?zombiepostman wrote:I can't believe you lot i have a town round of 600 calls and picked up nearly £1000 last year i talk to my customers and put myself out for them, my rest day cover gets a sixth and holiday cover the same,the bottles of booze i share out,
My round consists of council houses and some big houses (the council give me the most)
So i think it comes down how you treat people,its a pity our dick of a manager can't be the same with us
You can presumably complete it without going over every day... and yet still have time to be friendly, chatty and go out of your way to be helpful for your customers? Really?
It must be an area that gets incredibly low mail volumes and is very easy to deliver to, ie no long paths and driveways.
-
Theghost
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 417
- Joined: 17 Mar 2009, 16:44
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
I smell bullshit,Total and pure bull s**t,Lets have it right.zombiepostman wrote:I can't believe you lot i have a town round of 600 calls and picked up nearly £1000 last year i talk to my customers and put myself out for them, my rest day cover gets a sixth and holiday cover the same,the bottles of booze i share out,
My round consists of council houses and some big houses (the council give me the most)
So i think it comes down how you treat people,its a pity our dick of a manager can't be the same with us
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
Christmas Tips are a whole Can of Worms mate. As a Reserve I used to work on the Principle of what I was given I kept! If there was an envelope stuck to the door, I'd leave it there for the Regular Guy to collect. If someone came out I'd tell them I wasn't their Regular Postie (often they'd say "Yeah I know I've already given him a tip").mb1 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the eticate for christmas tips when you are a day off cover on a rota? I cover 3 rounds and was given a tip today, shall i give it to the regular postwoman? I cover her round 2 days a week. I don't want anything that is not mine but contribute to the service that the tip has been given for.
Some people get mega stressed about tips. I believe I get paid to deliver the mail...No Tips....No Problem.... I won't kiss someones ass all year just in case they give me a tip, if they do that's nice. Look on the bright side if someone that gets loads of packets doesn't give you a tip (after you've been running around hiding their parcels and delivering them to their mum...that only lives around the corner)...Guess what? Next year they'll be getting a docket and they can come and collect them!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Darwinsdad
- Posts: 78
- Joined: 07 Mar 2016, 18:40
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
My feelings exactly. Any tips I get are split into two envelopes. One envelope goes to my postie the first working day back after Xmas, the other goes to the local hospice.Dorset Plodder wrote:Christmas Tips are a whole Can of Worms mate. As a Reserve I used to work on the Principle of what I was given I kept! If there was an envelope stuck to the door, I'd leave it there for the Regular Guy to collect. If someone came out I'd tell them I wasn't their Regular Postie (often they'd say "Yeah I know I've already given him a tip").mb1 wrote:Can anyone tell me what the eticate for christmas tips when you are a day off cover on a rota? I cover 3 rounds and was given a tip today, shall i give it to the regular postwoman? I cover her round 2 days a week. I don't want anything that is not mine but contribute to the service that the tip has been given for.![]()
Some people get mega stressed about tips. I believe I get paid to deliver the mail...No Tips....No Problem.... I won't kiss someones ass all year just in case they give me a tip, if they do that's nice. Look on the bright side if someone that gets loads of packets doesn't megive you a tip (after you've been running around hiding their parcels and delivering them to their mum...that only lives around the corner)...Guess what? Next year they'll be getting a docket and they can come and collect them!
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
One or two do that in our office,I think it's a bit like grovelling really. However ,if Yeats your thing,then fair enough,each to their own.weary_posty wrote:Lad in our office writes out 600 Christmas cards and sticks them in with his D2Ds at the start of the month.
It's fair to say he does pretty well one the tips front
-
robbertwhitton
- Posts: 1132
- Joined: 30 Aug 2010, 19:06
- Gender: Male
Christmas tips
Am expected to hand all my tips in from my rural delivery about £1200 and have it shared out with my "colleagues " who mess my round up!! And I get £350 back? Mmmm your welcome!!!