ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Leaving after 7 weeks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
coombster
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 21:17
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by coombster »

As the title says. How much notice do I give?
GT85
Posts: 365
Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
Gender: Male
Location: ASDO

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by GT85 »

1 week
We're all here because we're not all there
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

But double check your contract as some new ones require 28 days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by aiden01 »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:But double check your contract as some new ones require 28 days.
What is the consequences if you just leave. as regarding op,s post
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by Spedley »

Plus you get holiday entitlement at about 0.45 days per week (5 day week) so unless you've already had some time off you should be able to make 3 days of the notice period annual leave.
coombster
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 21:17
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by coombster »

What if I just walk?
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by datasaint »

Why are you considering leaving out of interest?
coombster
Posts: 3
Joined: 07 Oct 2016, 21:17
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by coombster »

Been spoke to like a complete t**t by the higher ups. I'm not interested in taking it further. Just want to say stick it
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by datasaint »

RM like reducing numbers, means potential for absorbed hours, so you fly off the deep end you're basically playing into their hands is all I'm saying.

Unless you're totally unhappy in the job or have something better lined up I would put it on hold, speak to your colleagues in your office they'll probably share the same sentiments.
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by wannabeek »

Don't quit. Just plod on and look for another job. As soon as you have a better option then give them the notice required (I believe that new contracts are 28 days notice, not a week like us old gits).

I don't see you'd be doing yourself any favours by putting yourself out of pocket just because they treat you badly.

If I was going to quit I'd just do the absolute minimum required so as to not get fired until I'd lined up another job.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by nickbsmooth »

Just go on the sick get paid upto date and leave no notice. They're not going to get legal on you.
I'd do that if I had something lined up in the real world. Good luck
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by wannabeek »

No sick pay until 12 months in the job so that won't help him.
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by nickbsmooth »

wannabeek wrote:No sick pay until 12 months in the job so that won't help him.
How things have changed in recent years.
telithowitis
Posts: 149
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:19
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by telithowitis »

Put a formal grievance in for bullying and harassment if you have been spoken to inappropriately. This will give you a lever to then seek agreement to leave without notice/short as if you quit without notice employers can with hold holiday pay due because you breached your contract, however they are still required to pay you far all the work you have completed.
I can't see anyone disputing the notice period.
Stand up to them, they don't like it when the shoe is on the other foot. Putting the grievance in gets them looked at from above.
kram123
Posts: 11
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:42
Gender: Male

Leaving after 7 weeks

Post by kram123 »

I left recently after lasting 6 weeks. The notice on me leaving in my contract stated that I had to give 4 weeks notice, I didn't, I just walked. I enjoyed the job, but the management in my office were SCUM! I made a decision to cut my losses and move on. good luck to you.