Hi
I am a new starter with Royal Mail..about two months in. I have hurt my leg and requested a day off tomorrow as will be unable to walk the round and offered to prep round and work in office which was turned down. I was advised to take a day off. The problem is that I am on a twenty hour three day part time contract and so can\'t afford not to be paid. My doctor has told me to self certificate for tomorrow but I am worried that I will not be paid.. Please can you help advise? I am going to rest it over weekend and try to be back for my next shift on Monday Many thanks.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
query about sick pay for net starter
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
query about sick pay for net starter
you do not get sick pay until you have been with the company for 12 months.
sometimes you will get sick pay if you have had an accident while on delivery ( but not always )
sometimes you will get sick pay if you have had an accident while on delivery ( but not always )
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
query about sick pay for net starter
You may still get statutory sick pay, but that isn't a lot. 
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72733
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
query about sick pay for net starter
Judgee wrote:You may still get statutory sick pay, but that isn't a lot.
Only after 3 days.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
rehabron
- Posts: 1372
- Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
- Gender: Male
query about sick pay for net starter
Just slightly going off tangent from the info. that you wanted on sick pay but in your post you stated that you offered to prep round and work inside but management rejected your offer make sure that you have this noted should you accumulate absences that trigger the attendance procedure.jimmy1974 wrote:Hi
I am a new starter with Royal Mail..about two months in. I have hurt my leg and requested a day off tomorrow as will be unable to walk the round and offered to prep round and work in office which was turned down. I was advised to take a day off. The problem is that I am on a twenty hour three day part time contract and so can\'t afford not to be paid. My doctor has told me to self certificate for tomorrow but I am worried that I will not be paid.. Please can you help advise? I am going to rest it over weekend and try to be back for my next shift on Monday Many thanks.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
query about sick pay for net starter
Get to your local mail centre and work evenings sorting or in the callers office?
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
query about sick pay for net starter
NO! you won't! If you remember a few years back when I informed you people about a colleague hospitalizing me after driving me into the back of a lorry, 6 days before Christmas, RM refused to pay me a penny despite the DIM calling head office etc. as it was against their policy. I went 2 weeks over Xmas without a penny in pay as I was just short of a year.doorstepped wrote:you do not get sick pay until you have been with the company for 12 months.
sometimes you will get sick pay if you have had an accident while on delivery ( but not always )
I later received it all back via the CWU suing RM for me and received the wages plus an interim 1k before the claim was settled in full.
This rule needs changing for exceptions like no-fault accidents like mine. It simply isn't fair you should be left in pain AND skint because of somebody else solely for the fact you've done 10 months or something.