ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
benellery
Posts: 1
Joined: 29 Sep 2012, 13:41
Gender: Male

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by benellery »

Yes - appreciate it is not religious - that's just what he was told by his manager and interested in whether anyone else has had the same experience?
Destiny
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Dec 2010, 10:18
Gender: Male
Location: North

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by Destiny »

We have a few boxes in the office for donations
Bang out of order, at the least contact your local paper :thumbdown
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

benellery wrote:Hi,
I've heard a postman complaining this morning that he's not allowed to wear a poppy by his manager on 'religious grounds.' Has anyone else heard of this?

Which religious grounds

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

benellery wrote:Hi,
I've heard a postman complaining this morning that he's not allowed to wear a poppy by his manager on 'religious grounds.' Has anyone else heard of this?
No, in fact, I would say his manager is being disrespectful. The poppy is also worn in remembrance of the 12,830 postal workers killed in Word War I and World War 2.

Anyone wearing a poppy, no matter if it's red, white or black, whilst in Royal Mail uniform is showing respect to each and every one of those fallen colleagues.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Wouldn't have made much difference in my Office hardly anyone bothered to wear a poppy. Very Poor Showing, I would have expected better, but just about par for the course with the selfish buggers I work with. :no no

Agree that the DOM should have been told to wind his neck in, I haven't seen anything from anyone concerning the wearing of Poppies at Royal Mail. Perhaps the DOM thinks he's a member of FIFA? :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
borgpicard
Posts: 486
Joined: 05 May 2011, 22:45
Gender: Male

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by borgpicard »

Should have put in a B and H against the bastard.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by NewPostieUK »

benellery wrote: he's not allowed to wear a poppy by his manager on 'religious grounds.'
Has he banned the Yarmulke or Kippah ? What about the Hijab, the Burka? What about the cross round my neck? What about the postman with the cross tattooed
on his neck upside down ? !
Lounge Lizard
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 9458
Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by Lounge Lizard »

It should remain each individual's choice whether or not they wear a poppy.
I am a bit uneasy about those that are expected to wear one whether presenters on the BBC or members of a football team.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Postman banned from wearing a poppy

Post by aiden01 »

Lounge Lizard wrote:It should remain each individual's choice whether or not they wear a poppy.
I am a bit uneasy about those that are expected to wear one whether presenters on the BBC or members of a football team.
totally agree.