ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by POSTMAN »

https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2016/1 ... cam-mail-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attacking scam mail

We are co-ordinating an industry-wide response

We are stepping up our attack on scam mail by co-ordinating an industry-wide response to tackle fraudulent mail at its source.

The substantial package of measures complements the significant resources we have already invested in fighting fraudulent mail.

Measures include:
  • An industry-wide code of practice, supported by Whistl and UK Mail
    Specific anti-scam mail clauses to be included in all our bulk mail contracts
    Engagement at European level with other postal operators
    Commissioning of dedicated research by Bournemouth University into postal scams
    The measures complement our existing joint initiative with the National Trading Standards Scams Team.
Stephen Agar, our managing director of Consumer and Network Access, said: ‘Scams are a scourge on our society. We have announced a comprehensive set of measures to tackle this blight on our industry.’

https://www.myroyalmail.com/news/2016/1 ... -scam-mail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reporting scam mail

Your role in stamping out fraud

We’re determined to do all we can to prevent scam mail.

We want to know about potentially fraudulent mail so we can continue to work with the relevant authorities, who can then investigate and take action.

What can you do?

Every item of scam mail is one item too many and we want to do all we can to prevent it.

Consider whether mail could be fraudulent when:
  • You are delivering an unusually large number of mailings to a resident each week
    Envelopes in which mailings are delivered refer to a prize draw, sweepstake winnings, or psychic/clairvoyant services
    You may also be delivering packets to the address containing goods received in fulfilment of orders made by potential victims.
Customers can report scam mail by calling the scam mail hotline on 03456 113413, emailing scam.mail@royalmail.com, or writing to FREEPOST SCAM MAIL. More information is available at http://www.royalmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by eastie »

if RM really want to stamp scam mail out why don't they write to the customers of the letters by a D2D leaflet giving details what to do rather than telling the postmen . I'm sure the DOM would be interested in me telling him about scam mail on my round ....not
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Surreypostie »

A good idea perhaps but, we deliver envelopes, we don't get to read what is inside them. Why is it always shafted onto us? Refuse the work if they have concerns, once it comes to me, I honestly don't care what it is, people do not have to open it and they certainly don't have to respond to it.
Daniel-san
Posts: 74
Joined: 18 Dec 2009, 17:51
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Daniel-san »

Surreypostie wrote:A good idea perhaps but, we deliver envelopes, we don't get to read what is inside them. Why is it always shafted onto us? Refuse the work if they have concerns, once it comes to me, I honestly don't care what it is, people do not have to open it and they certainly don't have to respond to it.
But some older and or vunnerable people do and that's where the problem is.
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by postslippete »

What a great idea...


How about the Royal Mail give us all mailing preference leaflets (or at least, leaflets explaining how customers can contact the MPS) which we then deliver to every house in the UK so that we can inform 'our' customers how they can get their name taken off all the direct mailing lists in the UK. Obviously, this won't affect the other unaddressed items that we deliver or those from abroad. But it will dramatically reduce the amount of 'junk' mail (which, lets be honest, also includes a lot of this sort of scam mail) we push through. The door to door leaflet could also explain how OAPs can contact the Age UK advice line and what to do in the event that they might be a victim of scam mail.

But stop me now as I'm dreaming because the only reason why its never happened is because Royal Mail stands to lose thousands of pounds worth of revenue doing it!! So what happens is that Royal Mail pile the workload and put pressure on each postie in the UK to stop it, and how do we do that when we deliver thousands of items a day on bigger duties? :crazy: so we know that it ain't never going to happen!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

Reading the above I'm still not sure what RM want me do do day to day to reduce the scam mail , best ask my Dom for suggestions ......

Actually it would probably lead to more lapsing as we have less traffic now .......
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Creditshampoo »

They're only doing this because of the daily mail.
Been happy to earn money out of these letters until now.
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Surreypostie »

Daniel-san wrote:
Surreypostie wrote:A good idea perhaps but, we deliver envelopes, we don't get to read what is inside them. Why is it always shafted onto us? Refuse the work if they have concerns, once it comes to me, I honestly don't care what it is, people do not have to open it and they certainly don't have to respond to it.
But some older and or vunnerable people do and that's where the problem is.
I fully realise that, you do work in delivery I presume? If so, like me you get masses of stuff to deliver, I can't distinguish scam from junk. If it doesn't have a stamp on it, personally, I get home and bin the lot. I deliver packets, people look surprised, ohhhh what's that they ask. No idea mate, I just deliver it, I didn't post it.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72733
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

if someone on your duty is getting scam mail its easy to spot, not the individual letters themselves, but the volume of similar looking envelopes. One on a duty I did as a reserve 10 years ago got a 1/2 bundle EVERY single day. Now I would know what to do, sadly too late for this couple as they passed away some years ago.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by steve1873 »

How difficult would it be for example, for RM to have a template letter made up. Then the OPG who identifies what he believes to be scam mail reports it to DOM, who then prints out letter and sticks it in an envelope for that address. This would inform the recipient that items of mail have been identified that MAY contain scam mail, and describe exactly how variations of these scams work. Now, obviously it wouldn't prevent the recipient from then acting on these scams subsequently, but it would potentially educate them on the possible ramifications of responding. Perhaps it could include a a stamped addressed envelope and a return document so that the recipient could fill in some details, including a nominated person for whom any suspicious mail could be redirected to.

If RM are serious about tackling this, then they need to put real steps in place.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Chewster »

It is an issue but not all the dodgy looking stuff is in fact a scam. I deliver to one old gent who gets masses of these "YOU COULD HAVE ALREADY WON £10,000" etc etc, and I did mention it to him one day. He told me that most of the letters are indeed scams but some of them are real, and showed me the Fiat 500 that he won and a cheque for ten grand that he'd won the previous week! Of course I understand that this is a real rarity, but it is a lot harder to tackle than just saying "that letter looks dodgy lets bin it"
Mobey
Posts: 291
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 11:54
Gender: Male

MRM.COM : Attacking and reporting scam mail

Post by Mobey »

POSTMAN wrote: Consider whether mail could be fraudulent when:
  • You are delivering an unusually large number of mailings to a resident each week
    Envelopes in which mailings are delivered refer to a prize draw, sweepstake winnings, or psychic/clairvoyant services
    You may also be delivering packets to the address containing goods received in fulfilment of orders made by potential victims.
Hmmm. On one of the walks i do, a gentleman gets 5 or 6 of these everytime I do the walk. I said to a manager, can I report this to you as I understand from the article we can report this.

I explained why I think they are scam mail but they said it isn't and it's only if they get lots of mail or different names at the address because that would imply someone is doing fraud. Also because I don't do the same one all the time I need not worry about it.....

:arrrghhh