ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

7 is an invalid barcode.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

7 is an invalid barcode.

Post by Spigot bearing »

Ha ha our new pda is getting worse by the day. Whoever sold these awful things to rm must be very very pleased with themselves.
Spedley
Posts: 1209
Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
Location: Warwickshire

7 is an invalid barcode.

Post by Spedley »

I've looked into the 2D barcodes they are using and I don't think they live up to their billing.
They have a very small failure rate which is great (millions to 1) but they have so much error correction it appears to correct a badly scanned barcode to an invalid '7' quite regularly.

The most worrying thing that has happened to a few of us at work lately is when it doesn't scan but still beeps. I scanned a signed tracked and a special delivery and it beeped as I'd expect but when I checked only the tracked was listed. If I hadn't checked or had a few more items I wouldn't have noticed and delivered a Special effectively without scanning it.
Spigot bearing
Posts: 83
Joined: 18 Dec 2015, 16:22
Gender: Male

7 is an invalid barcode.

Post by Spigot bearing »

I've had this happen a couple of times, in fact I've posted about it a while back, it's quite worrying as you know it's beeped so if you're scanning a few at a business for example you are more than likely not going to notice it's not on the screen. These things are a liability.