ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New job but Dom won't give reference

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
28hr
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Aug 2016, 17:59
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by 28hr »

A few weeks back I was made offers a new job with the council subject to my references being ok,having heard nothing sinc I spoke with them today and they advised they haven't received the reference back yet.

My Dom has been in another office but after speaking with him he said it is against company policy for managers to provide work references and he won't fill in the online form the council have asked him to complete. He said he is happy to give me a personal reference but isn't allowed to do so in a managerial capacity.

Is what he is saying correct? I have always got on well with him so no real reason to doubt him but it just seems a bit daft.

He said HR would confirm to the council the dates I worked there etc but now I'm worried I will lose the chance at this job as the council workers have said they aren't able to spend much longer chasing these up.

Thanks
Fulham14
Posts: 10
Joined: 20 Oct 2013, 16:02
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by Fulham14 »

You need to get on to HR now and keep on them.
I put Royal Mail down as a reference and in the end my employer took me on on the strength of other references.
They accepted some tax docs as proof I worked there.
I dont think RM replied after 2 months.
They are useless.
Get someones name.
No joy. Get their Managers name and keep on till they do the reference.
One call a day every day.
I never bothered cos I was working at the new place temporary anyway so I knew it was a matter of time but if I needed that reference I wouldn't give them peace till I got it.
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by enskied »

As said. Doms don't give a reference it is done through HR, but they are next to useless at providing one. I would do as said, provide your new employer some proof of lenght of service via payslips, and if you have it a copy of your resignation letter and any reply.
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by Ricardo44 »

There is an email adress you could give the council then RM will confirm your start date and finish date and reason for leaving..might be quicker.

The email adress is something like royalmail@thirdpartyenquiries.com..?

Seen it on here in another thread.
28hr
Posts: 4
Joined: 01 Aug 2016, 17:59
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by 28hr »

Thanks for the replies guys,I had just assumed he was bluffing.

I will get on to HR and give the council that email,thank you very much for posting that
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

New job but Dom won't give reference

Post by Ricardo44 »

Third.party.enquiries@royalmail.com

This, as far as I know, is the email adress you should use.

Good luck