ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
-
Lounge Lizard
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 9458
- Joined: 06 Aug 2007, 21:54
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
That's not been dropped. It's been deliberately smashed.
-
Deadly
- Posts: 703
- Joined: 12 Jul 2014, 21:38
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
It certainly looks like there are numerous impacts on the screen.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
We've had a few dropped,including the one I use and it's not broke,just bounced,they are pretty robust IMHO.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
dav1524
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 22 Aug 2010, 14:12
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
We were told by the work place coach the other day they have been drop tested from 8 feet and they were ok.DB1100 wrote:We've had a few dropped,including the one I use and it's not broke,just bounced,they are pretty robust IMHO.
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
I find £1k difficult to understand - or justify if that indeed is what they cost. For a poor mans smartphone ? I've got an old Nokia N8 will do everything this thing does and a lot more - and the N8 is 5 year old tech, and cheap as chips.unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal
When you consider they are buying in bulk I reckon the £1k is at least 2.5 times more than they should be paying TBH - in fact, for a brick like this, with the specs it has, I'd reckon on closer to £100 apiece, in bulk, from China.
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
Postie45
- Posts: 2160
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
also if screen is smashed it doesnt mean the whole unit is a write off, it could be repaired.
-
stan_lers
- Posts: 136
- Joined: 04 Nov 2014, 21:52
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
I remember a manager telling us the old PDAs cost £5000 each. If they really did cost that much, it would be much cheaper to just use a £50 smartphone with the same software using the camera to scan.unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal
Also, I find it harder to drop these new ones since they're lighter, smaller (only just) and have proper straps on them. I've dropped it a few times and nothing has broken, my van partner also has a short temper and has throws his around when he puts his pin in wrong so they seem pretty durable.
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12189
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
A fair chunk of the cost of them might well be for the software which RM probably had custom made, probably written from scratch
-
rubberbond
- Posts: 1497
- Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
They saw Royal Mail coming ,they must have been rubbing their hands with glee. Talk about being ripped off.unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
I agree it's deliberate damageLounge Lizard wrote:That's not been dropped. It's been deliberately smashed.
-
PHARRY
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 327
- Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
unhappyCumbria wrote:So a mate at Tesco put this on their FB they are using the same SYMBOL PDA
Apparently they don't bounce so well![]()
Anyone smashed one in their office yet? What happened? Our office goes live soon, and knowing how often I dropped the brick, this doesn't
bode so well for the new one![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
Properly reversed over it in van
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
The manager dropped mine when i couldn't get it to log on
Big crack along the screen but it still works alright
-
claretandblue
- Posts: 914
- Joined: 01 Aug 2007, 12:14
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
Dropped mine from 3 foot, screen smashed, was sent for repair and replaced, no harm done.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
Every little helps.unhappyCumbria wrote:Managers at Tesco tell their staff they cost £1000 each, I've heard from our managers they cost £1300, wonder if Tesco got a better deal
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
SYMBOL PDA SMASHED SCREEN
Knowing the Royal Mail I'm sure there was a rigorous investigation, followed by a firm but fair disciplinary in which all relevant facts where considered in a calm and dispassionate manner!unhappyCumbria wrote:Hopefully he conducted himself!Anonymouse wrote:The manager dropped mine when i couldn't get it to log onBig crack along the screen but it still works alright
