ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

today yet again I was spot checked by the same 2 managers as 3 months ago.I've been out on a Hct delivery this week & have had no training just a map shoved in my hand.parked the Hct outside some old people's flats unlocked as there was nowhere to lock it up to,after coming out of the flats up pulls a RM van & out pops one of the managers saying my trolley had been unlocked for 10 minutes.I said there was nowhere to lock it up to so the manager in the van laughed.I then asked if I was on their hit list as this was the second time in 3 months they've pursued me while out on delivery.I said to them well this is what happens when no training is given,with that the manager who was driving started to stutter & was lost for words.they both drove off after i said that.can they do anything to me?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Off the top of my head - No

But it would be a good idea to join the Union if you haven't. If you have, then speak to the rep and tell them exactly what happened.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
antcpfc
Posts: 629
Joined: 18 Sep 2007, 17:25

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by antcpfc »

Can they do anything? Yes train you properly. :thumbup
Slider tool. Lol.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by Postie45 »

doubtful that anything more will come of it and like you said to him you havent been trained about that. Now that you do know about it, maybe dont deliver to the block of flats until the managers can suggest a way for you to deliver it without putting the security of the mail at risk.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

thanks all,I will speak with the union rep but he won't want to know as i spoke to him earlier this week about being sent out on yet another walk with no training,even the DOM on Tuesday asked if I was ok & I said no as I've got to learn yet another delivery without training,the reply was just shrugged shoulders.oh well I've had my moan & feel better lol
world class male
Posts: 903
Joined: 03 Jul 2013, 15:29
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by world class male »

don't let b&h start, cut it before it starts,
I'd say as above get our union in for help but there's a lad at mine who gets ripped to shreds day in day out, once in front of our "rep"
i wished we had a strong workplace ethic now but afraid most have been ground down to a pulp and don't give a toss what's happening to our fellow colleagues
very sad that our members are let down by our reps who in turn are are let down by its members
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by rehabron »

woking wrote:today yet again I was spot checked by the same 2 managers as 3 months ago.I've been out on a Hct delivery this week & have had no training just a map shoved in my hand.parked the Hct outside some old people's flats unlocked as there was nowhere to lock it up to,after coming out of the flats up pulls a RM van & out pops one of the managers saying my trolley had been unlocked for 10 minutes.I said there was nowhere to lock it up to so the manager in the van laughed.I then asked if I was on their hit list as this was the second time in 3 months they've pursued me while out on delivery.I said to them well this is what happens when no training is given,with that the manager who was driving started to stutter & was lost for words.they both drove off after i said that.can they do anything to me?
Contact the police and report that you are being stalked by two men in a red van and one of these men has actually approached you and made suggestive remarks. :nana :nana :nana
enskied
Posts: 1877
Joined: 16 Aug 2013, 17:14
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by enskied »

I would not worry about it.

Doms sometimes have a tick list to do and they are Lazy by nature. You are probably the one they pass on their way home.

My Dom stopped me five weeks in a row once, Just because I was closest to the office and it knew where I would be. It could then complete an Observation form and tick the box. And if there is nowhere to secure the HCT then it aint an HCT duty. It is their responsibility to check that... So put the ball back in their court.
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by steve1873 »

I will go against the grain here and state that I find it very hard to believe that there was nowhere in close proximity for you to secure the HCT to. A lamppost, a gate, a hand-railing, pretty much any permanent fixed structure. You are leaving yourself wide open to being sacked on the spot tbh.
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by salomon2 »

I agree with Steve, there is always something to secure the hct to. Plus what training do you expect on an hct round. We havnt had training for ages, just follow the frame and I use an app on my phone if I get lost. I get training on rurals but they are very different. Expect another check in the near future.
meercat
Posts: 814
Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by meercat »

You are coming across as being persecuted but the fact is management can check up on you out on delivery everyday if they want to - you are an employee and it's their duty to ensure you are working safely and correctly.

2nd if you are not securing the trolley and you have been told to do so you should be sacked simple as that. If you can't find somewhere outside the flats you need to walk until you find something then walk back OR miss out the flats and mark the mail 'undeliverable'. Do not leave a trolley unsecured. If you need to walk for 5 mins do it and cut off if you have to.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

steve1873 wrote:I will go against the grain here and state that I find it very hard to believe that there was nowhere in close proximity for you to secure the HCT to. A lamppost, a gate, a hand-railing, pretty much any permanent fixed structure. You are leaving yourself wide open to being sacked on the spot tbh.
there really was nowhere to lock up the trolley,the flats were oap flats & down a drive,even the managers looked around & the only thing they could see was a bench outside the the estate managers office but I'd already had a bollocking before for locking it up there as it was stopping the old people from using the bench should they need to.I did spot a drainpipe but this was directly outside a person door & would have blocked the doorway to their flat.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by woking »

salomon2 wrote:I agree with Steve, there is always something to secure the hct to. Plus what training do you expect on an hct round. We havnt had training for ages, just follow the frame and I use an app on my phone if I get lost. I get training on rurals but they are very different. Expect another check in the near future.
you're very lucky to get training on rural we don't!& I totally disagree with you about not needing training on HCT duty if I'd had one day out with the chap that usually does that walk then i would of known exactly where or what he locked the trolley to.
Donnygav93
Posts: 12
Joined: 12 Dec 2014, 15:41
Gender: Male

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by Donnygav93 »

I regually take out hct duty's it would be nice if they provided equipment for me to lock the hct I've personally had to go out and purchase myself
steve1873
Posts: 800
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 13:55

spot checked for the 2nd time in 3 months

Post by steve1873 »

If there genuinely isn't a place to chain up HCT (which I still find hard to believe), then this needs to be identified formally and the delivery points need removed from the HCT duty and placed on a more suitable duty as having the HCT unsecured for more than a minute is a serious breach of RM's security procedure.