ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
OK colleagues, after repeated incidences of osteoarthritis I have taken IHR from Royal Mail and have now left the company.
So, what are my opinions after 4 years' service as an OPG?
The job certainly opened my eyes as to how hard most people work in this job. On the surface it looks great: if you do the rota week then 12-13 weeks off per year, overtime if you need it and all uniform provided. From hereon I will have an enevelope each Christmas for my postmen despite never getting a tip myself ever, due to being a reserve!
I have to say my office was decent compared to some which I hear about on here. Most of my colleagues were good people and helpful when I was new, the managers approachable and aside from one would generally listen or help if you had a heavy day or needed to cut-off or extend, and would let me swap duties with other reserves if we had 'favourite' rounds we weren't put of that week. The office was generally well organized and when a heavy day was due people were asked to work early in order to ensure we all got out between about 08:30 to 09:15 so we rarely 'went over' or had cut-off requests.
The word 'reserve' is important here. Yes, you become familiar with most rounds over time which increases your usefulness to the office, but learning them could be quite stressful. Of course, like most I started on a temporary contract so there was always a reluctance to speak up if I felt put-on or didn't want to extend etc. because you have the constant doubt of renewal if you rely on the income - something we see on here time and time again posted by new starters.
Sometimes you would be allocated a round 'blind' where you and the partner had never done it before and that was very stressful, as was being swapped when you arrived for work expecting to do your scheduled round only to find your 'quick day' was off and you'd been paired with the office dawdler that all the rest dreaded. Sometimes it would be the opposite scenario when I was paired with one of the very quick guys and enjoyed an early finish every day, but was knackered totally afterwards. Most people, including the managers just wanted to get out as quick as possible and go home quick. I know people on here criticize the 'runners' but to be honest they formed the majority of the OPGs probably because when given a fixed amount to do and a flexible finish time it's human nature to 'make time' and feel you've kind of beaten the system.
In the summer, getting brown and with lighter loads while smelling the blooms when walking, knowing you would be home at lunchtime, well what better job was there? Then the frozen fingers, PDA honking after the first 30 minutes with battery issues while pushing mushed door-dustbin leaflets through, thinking "where did I go wrong in life?" Yep, the whole standard range of emotions the job brings.
This brings me on to the CWU. Yes, they messed up over the door-dustbins issue and some on here see them as flaccid. They should be judged henceforth on their attitude for 'one wave' and extended delivery times which I understand RM are trying to implement. Under no circumstances should this happen - I think, sorry, I KNOW that longer deliveries on a daily basis will wreck the health and wellbeing of most OPGs and will be unsustainable for you all.
I must also point out the wide range of benefits you have at RM that simply wouldn't be available in most if not all manual jobs, that have progressively been added and negotiated by the Union. If I was in this position at say Sports Direct or Argos for example, I'd have had very limited or no sick pay and been booted with a month's pay and a rollocking - if I was lucky. There would be no safety net like our IHR package.
Since I have not been walking I have to watch what I eat though I am not in as much pain so my quality of life is immeasurably better, but I will have to be honest here and say the biggest release is from stress. I found it difficult being a reserve not knowing from week-to-week or day-to-day what walk I would be on, with whom and when I would be likely to finish. I think it would be better if as many reserves as possible were allocated duties as 'floaters' in other words covering the same rounds on each week of their 5-week cycle to bring them a bit more stability and consistency. I know when some duties have rota weeks and some have single days that this wouldn't always happen, but it would help the stress levels a bit!
I have work already in a sedentary role so you won't find me busking outside MacDonald's for a while but I'm going to miss the banter and meeting customers which made the job tolerable most days. Hopefully Brexit will mean there will be an end to this illogical enforced TNT-type competition via OFCOM in the letters market which I maintain is a natural monopoly when viewed in conjunction with the USO. You've only got one pack of wolves at the door now...hopefully.
Anyways, for those of you cashing your shares in in 9 weeks spend it wisely and for those with more confidence in the long-term future I hope you're all correct. Whichever, good luck for the future!!
P.S. to fend the inevitable questions, it was 33 weeks' pay and 9 weeks' PILON all untaxed, and was paid this week after my final week's normal pay last Friday. I believe they will send P45 shortly and form to relinquish shares.
So, what are my opinions after 4 years' service as an OPG?
The job certainly opened my eyes as to how hard most people work in this job. On the surface it looks great: if you do the rota week then 12-13 weeks off per year, overtime if you need it and all uniform provided. From hereon I will have an enevelope each Christmas for my postmen despite never getting a tip myself ever, due to being a reserve!
I have to say my office was decent compared to some which I hear about on here. Most of my colleagues were good people and helpful when I was new, the managers approachable and aside from one would generally listen or help if you had a heavy day or needed to cut-off or extend, and would let me swap duties with other reserves if we had 'favourite' rounds we weren't put of that week. The office was generally well organized and when a heavy day was due people were asked to work early in order to ensure we all got out between about 08:30 to 09:15 so we rarely 'went over' or had cut-off requests.
The word 'reserve' is important here. Yes, you become familiar with most rounds over time which increases your usefulness to the office, but learning them could be quite stressful. Of course, like most I started on a temporary contract so there was always a reluctance to speak up if I felt put-on or didn't want to extend etc. because you have the constant doubt of renewal if you rely on the income - something we see on here time and time again posted by new starters.
Sometimes you would be allocated a round 'blind' where you and the partner had never done it before and that was very stressful, as was being swapped when you arrived for work expecting to do your scheduled round only to find your 'quick day' was off and you'd been paired with the office dawdler that all the rest dreaded. Sometimes it would be the opposite scenario when I was paired with one of the very quick guys and enjoyed an early finish every day, but was knackered totally afterwards. Most people, including the managers just wanted to get out as quick as possible and go home quick. I know people on here criticize the 'runners' but to be honest they formed the majority of the OPGs probably because when given a fixed amount to do and a flexible finish time it's human nature to 'make time' and feel you've kind of beaten the system.
In the summer, getting brown and with lighter loads while smelling the blooms when walking, knowing you would be home at lunchtime, well what better job was there? Then the frozen fingers, PDA honking after the first 30 minutes with battery issues while pushing mushed door-dustbin leaflets through, thinking "where did I go wrong in life?" Yep, the whole standard range of emotions the job brings.
This brings me on to the CWU. Yes, they messed up over the door-dustbins issue and some on here see them as flaccid. They should be judged henceforth on their attitude for 'one wave' and extended delivery times which I understand RM are trying to implement. Under no circumstances should this happen - I think, sorry, I KNOW that longer deliveries on a daily basis will wreck the health and wellbeing of most OPGs and will be unsustainable for you all.
I must also point out the wide range of benefits you have at RM that simply wouldn't be available in most if not all manual jobs, that have progressively been added and negotiated by the Union. If I was in this position at say Sports Direct or Argos for example, I'd have had very limited or no sick pay and been booted with a month's pay and a rollocking - if I was lucky. There would be no safety net like our IHR package.
Since I have not been walking I have to watch what I eat though I am not in as much pain so my quality of life is immeasurably better, but I will have to be honest here and say the biggest release is from stress. I found it difficult being a reserve not knowing from week-to-week or day-to-day what walk I would be on, with whom and when I would be likely to finish. I think it would be better if as many reserves as possible were allocated duties as 'floaters' in other words covering the same rounds on each week of their 5-week cycle to bring them a bit more stability and consistency. I know when some duties have rota weeks and some have single days that this wouldn't always happen, but it would help the stress levels a bit!
I have work already in a sedentary role so you won't find me busking outside MacDonald's for a while but I'm going to miss the banter and meeting customers which made the job tolerable most days. Hopefully Brexit will mean there will be an end to this illogical enforced TNT-type competition via OFCOM in the letters market which I maintain is a natural monopoly when viewed in conjunction with the USO. You've only got one pack of wolves at the door now...hopefully.
Anyways, for those of you cashing your shares in in 9 weeks spend it wisely and for those with more confidence in the long-term future I hope you're all correct. Whichever, good luck for the future!!
P.S. to fend the inevitable questions, it was 33 weeks' pay and 9 weeks' PILON all untaxed, and was paid this week after my final week's normal pay last Friday. I believe they will send P45 shortly and form to relinquish shares.
-
Ricardo44
- Posts: 164
- Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Good post
All the best for the future
All the best for the future
-
k979aaa
- Posts: 12578
- Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
- Gender: Male
- Location: THE NORTH
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
All the best sometimes knowing your limits helps you find better things in life and a balance that was not there before hopefully a more happy one for you.
-
BeamishStout
- Posts: 387
- Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Read your whole post and what you say is almost certainly true the length and breadth of the country. Best wishes for the future 
-
wacko74
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1572
- Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Good post and all the best for your future outside of RM.
I certainly agree with your points about resrerves... I think the job is far more challenging and stressful for them compared to opg's with a set duty and they should recieve some kind of recognition for their role instead of just being expected to do the job as quickly and easily as a walk holder who knows the frame and delivery inside out.
I certainly agree with your points about resrerves... I think the job is far more challenging and stressful for them compared to opg's with a set duty and they should recieve some kind of recognition for their role instead of just being expected to do the job as quickly and easily as a walk holder who knows the frame and delivery inside out.
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Best of luck busted
Its not easy being a reserve. Its generally accepted that you need to be a good postie to be able to do different shifts week in, week out as well as work with the good, bad and the ugly.
I don't want 6 hour deliveries either, but our office is similar to yours in that there are many posties that 'make time' and feel like they have beaten the system. But all it does is give managers a licence to increase more lapsing in our office!!
Its not easy being a reserve. Its generally accepted that you need to be a good postie to be able to do different shifts week in, week out as well as work with the good, bad and the ugly.
I don't want 6 hour deliveries either, but our office is similar to yours in that there are many posties that 'make time' and feel like they have beaten the system. But all it does is give managers a licence to increase more lapsing in our office!!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
All the best for the future, bustedflush!
-
Jpro747
- Posts: 1342
- Joined: 23 Dec 2012, 10:22
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Congrats on getting out of the madhouse. The job isn't bad but it could be so much better, the way it's managed is laughable but so typical of today's modern world.
-
malcolm3011
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 303
- Joined: 05 Aug 2010, 18:42
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Totally agree with everything you said Bustedflush, good luck and best wishes for the future,
-
sickofthejob
- Posts: 52
- Joined: 18 May 2012, 19:17
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Nice post, all the best for the future brother.
-
postman nel
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 122
- Joined: 24 Apr 2013, 15:31
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
I took IHR a few years ago,,back,hip and knee decided enough is enough,admittedly at first it was quite frightening after been with RM for so long ..but now looking back it was the best thing I've ever done , got a job working mon-fri, been able to book holidays when I want ,having a social life back again and back, hip and knee will never be 100% but in not as half as much pain ..good luck 
-
DirtyHarry
- Posts: 5051
- Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
- Gender: Male
- Location: London
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Boy, do I envy you!!!! This job has to be one of the worst going. Nothing's ever enough for these bastards, and health & safety just something this corporation uses to mock it's staff in the most cruel manner possible.
Best of luck in everything you do in the future.
Best of luck in everything you do in the future.
-
bustedflush
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1493
- Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
Thanks for your kind replies, unintentionally you've made me a bit sad this morning reading them, as it's reminded me of the good bunch of colleagues I have left. Unlike most jobs I've had with cliquey and some downright bitchy people present the DO was easy-going generally and had a good atmosphere and most people trusted all the others. I will be returning one morning next week to the DO with my ID badge (if I can find it!) and kit. May be a morning of mixed emotions!
-
SpacePhoenix
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 12189
- Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
- Gender: Male
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
It's also possibly denying a part timer to get more hours as wellpostslippete wrote:Best of luck busted
Its not easy being a reserve. Its generally accepted that you need to be a good postie to be able to do different shifts week in, week out as well as work with the good, bad and the ugly.
I don't want 6 hour deliveries either, but our office is similar to yours in that there are many posties that 'make time' and feel like they have beaten the system. But all it does is give managers a licence to increase more lapsing in our office!!
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
IHR - I have gone now. My opinions....
All the very best of luck to you.