ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Non-Driving Jobs?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
barman32
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 10:48
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by barman32 »

I'm looking to transfer having been in my current job for 5 years. Seems that all new postman/postwoman jobs are with driving. I don't drive. Do you think there's a chance they may take me on as a non-driver, or is it intensive driving course time for me?
Cheers, Al.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by Postie45 »

barman32 wrote:I'm looking to transfer having been in my current job for 5 years. Seems that all new postman/postwoman jobs are with driving. I don't drive. Do you think there's a chance they may take me on as a non-driver, or is it intensive driving course time for me?
Cheers, Al.
more than likely you`ll need driving, but you dont know for sure unless you apply. The benefit of you over a new starter is that you have experience, it probably depends on the DOM of the office you want to go to.
barman32
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 10:48
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by barman32 »

Thanks mate.
Last edited by barman32 on 22 Mar 2020, 14:06, edited 1 time in total.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

The current Transfer Procedure is a joke. "Apply on line and see if there's any vacancies" :crazy: I'd do as you suggest and pop in and visit the DO you want to transfer to. Get the "New" DOM on your side (also have a look around it may be a shite hole full of arseholes that you wouldn't want to work with).

Apply on line at the same time but chase it up yourself. Your "Old" DOM will resist letting you go because he'll be a man short. Get the Union Rep involved, if no joy try the Area Rep, along the lines of, "They've got a vacancy, the DOM says he needs me, I want to be there"!

It can be done but often takes a bit of time. Good Luck. :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by Chewster »

In our office we've got I think 5 people who are purely non driving, and as of a few months ago the doms say that every new staff member will be expected to be able to drive, but not sure if it's the same up and down the country.
barman32
Posts: 7
Joined: 27 Jan 2011, 10:48
Gender: Male

Non-Driving Jobs?

Post by barman32 »

Thanks for these replies. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers.