ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Advice required regarding sickline

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
cinemasaint
Posts: 132
Joined: 05 Oct 2011, 21:00
Gender: Male

Advice required regarding sickline

Post by cinemasaint »

I have been off sick for nearly 2 weeks with a foot injury, I was off on holiday for the 2nd block in June and when I was away on holiday. On the final day of my holiday I started to get a shooting pain over the top of my foot. I arrived home from my holiday 6 days before I was due to start back so I took nothing for it and tried to rest it before going back to work. I worked 2 weeks I constant pain and agony which my line manager saw as did many of my colleagues, I informed my line manager that I was in pain and that I was going to try to work through it.

But in the end it was too sore and uncomfortable at the end of the day I went to my Doctor's and he suspected I may have a stress fracture so I was sent for an x-ray, however before I went for an x-ray I informed my line manager and I was directed to the DOM and was asked a million and one question about how I did it? I responded by saying that I had worked through the pain barrier for 2 weeks and that I think I done it on holiday or it maybe it could have been and underlying issue as my foot had been sore prior.

The long and short I phoned my doctors to request an extension to my sick line as I still don't think I could manage a full delivery, I phoned my doctors yesterday and they told me that my line was ready. I received a phone call from my line manager asking how I was. I told him I was getting another line from my doctors, he offered me indoor work to which at the time I said I wasn't sure.

I got a colleague to hand my sick line in today and I have received a phone call to attend a meeting tomorrow with the DOM, I feel I could return to indoor work at the moment what can I do to stop them from going back on what was offered as I don't want to aggravate my foot.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Advice required regarding sickline

Post by rehabron »

cinemasaint wrote:I have been off sick for nearly 2 weeks with a foot injury, I was off on holiday for the 2nd block in June and when I was away on holiday. On the final day of my holiday I started to get a shooting pain over the top of my foot. I arrived home from my holiday 6 days before I was due to start back so I took nothing for it and tried to rest it before going back to work. I worked 2 weeks I constant pain and agony which my line manager saw as did many of my colleagues, I informed my line manager that I was in pain and that I was going to try to work through it.

But in the end it was too sore and uncomfortable at the end of the day I went to my Doctor's and he suspected I may have a stress fracture so I was sent for an x-ray, however before I went for an x-ray I informed my line manager and I was directed to the DOM and was asked a million and one question about how I did it? I responded by saying that I had worked through the pain barrier for 2 weeks and that I think I done it on holiday or it maybe it could have been and underlying issue as my foot had been sore prior.

The long and short I phoned my doctors to request an extension to my sick line as I still don't think I could manage a full delivery, I phoned my doctors yesterday and they told me that my line was ready. I received a phone call from my line manager asking how I was. I told him I was getting another line from my doctors, he offered me indoor work to which at the time I said I wasn't sure.

I got a colleague to hand my sick line in today and I have received a phone call to attend a meeting tomorrow with the DOM, I feel I could return to indoor work at the moment what can I do to stop them from going back on what was offered as I don't want to aggravate my foot.
The line from your doctor is a " fit note" which has several boxes that can be ticked giving the doctors opinion what your capabilities are in relation to your medical condition and the nature of your work. This can be unfit for work, adjusted hours, light duties so what is stated on your " fit note". RM has the right to ignore your doctor's " fit Note" and seek guidance from their appointed occupational health provider which is OH Assist. If you decide to attend tomorrow's meeting with your DOM make sure that you do not walk to this interview for obvious reasons however you can also make contact with your DOM stating that you are unable to attend the meeting due to your illness and arrange to set up contact arrangements as required in the attendance agreement. You can give your consent to be referred to OH Assist for their recommendations on how to best treat your return to work. If you decide to attend meeting with DOM make sure that what was said about indoor work is honoured and get it in writing. I am sure that your DOM would prefer to have you working indoors than not at all. Do not be pressurised into returning if you feel that this is not right for you.