ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

when can we use lieu days

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

when can we use lieu days

Post by woking »

hi all,I've been with rm for 9 months now so obviously i had little choice when i could take my holidays & had to take what was left.anyway this week is my last week off for the year & im concerned that by next year I'm going to be knackered without having any time off.when the bank holidays come round I always ask for the day off & not payment.my question is can I use these lieu days this year or do they get rolled over to next year?
crazyshrew
Posts: 584
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
Gender: Female
Location: Coastal, South West

when can we use lieu days

Post by crazyshrew »

they should be credited to THIS years leave entitlement.
Ask your manager to show you what you have left to use and which weeks have some space for them to use them.

In certain circumstances up to 5 days can be rolled over into the next leave year but this should be the employees decision, don't let anyone tell you that you have to carry them forward.

Bank holidays make up part of your statutory leave entitlement; if you're not permitted to use that time this year your manager will be breaking the law.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

when can we use lieu days

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

After being at RM ~9 months, you should have had ~75% of a week's annual leave from when you joined until end of March 2016.

You have 4.5 weeks to book from April 2016 to end March 2017, the rest of the office should have booked this before the end of October 2015.

Any lieu days you have accrued can be used this year, but you also have the option of booking them as "b/h excess" overtime, if a bank hol falls on your scheduled day off. You can also ask your lino to give you an alternate day off that week.
12rdave
Posts: 18
Joined: 09 Jun 2013, 22:50
Gender: Male

when can we use lieu days

Post by 12rdave »

The aggrement is, if your RDO falls on a bank holiday, the manager should offer you another day off that week or pay you a days overtime. Managers do not like to promote this aggrement as it effects their weekly budget.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

when can we use lieu days

Post by woking »

thank you all for your replies but I'm more confused now about holidays.one week after I joined a annual leave sheet was shoved under my nose & was told I must book my holidays now as only a few weeks were left so I was basically forced to take 1 week in January, 1 week in April,2 weeks in May & a week this month.does this mean I now have to work till April will no more holidays?have I been made to take all of my holiday entitlement?
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

when can we use lieu days

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Sounds like you have taken 4 weeks leave since April, so you have half a week left to use until the end of March 2017 plus any lieu days from bank hols falling on your scheduled day off.

However, it sounds odd that they gave you a full week off in January 2016.

I would ask for a print out of your leave.
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

when can we use lieu days

Post by woking »

I'll ask for a print out thank you.I also forgot that I had to take a few days in March too so this really does mean I have no holidays left.this is ridiculous as none of the holidays I took are what I wanted & now having to work right through to next year with no time off apart from a few lieu days is going to kill me.& as I'm a reserve I have no rolling days off or long weekends.time to speak to the union rep I think.
the dragon
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 115
Joined: 08 Oct 2007, 14:33

when can we use lieu days

Post by the dragon »

12rdave wrote:The aggrement is, if your RDO falls on a bank holiday, the manager should offer you another day off that week or pay you a days overtime. Managers do not like to promote this aggrement as it effects their weekly budget.
Thanks for this information. I have argued until Im blue in the face that this should be the procedure concerning bank holidays.
Dont suppose you. or anyone else , has an official copy of this agreement? I would be very, very thankful!!
woking
Posts: 64
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:23
Gender: Male
Location: wokingham

when can we use lieu days

Post by woking »

the choice I've always been offered is either payment or a day off but never a day off in the same week.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

when can we use lieu days

Post by peshwaarinaan »

Don't forget that if you are part time and don't work Mondays you get a day credited for Bank Holiday Mondays.