ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Pulling a Sicky

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Pulling a Sicky

Post by 19times »

Yes or no?

I need a Sat off because I've seen a holiday going reasonably cheap but it flys out on a Sat morning, I have asked 4 guys to swap my Sat (week before) but no takers for various reasons.

My sick record is good but I don't like to 'wag' work to be honest.

What you think?
In The Know
Posts: 50
Joined: 20 Jul 2015, 18:11
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by In The Know »

Go for it :cool. Some daft fool went sick at ours and then posted pics on faecesbook from cornwall :Applause
Ricardo44
Posts: 164
Joined: 15 Dec 2013, 20:34
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by Ricardo44 »

Just do it...F**k em.

I used to be like you..but it gets you nowhere in this company.
ewancurze
Posts: 400
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 19:25
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by ewancurze »

Be careful who may know though!
Is it worth trying for an unpaid day? Last year I needed a Saturday in August off for a hol I booked on Christmas Day....no chance,but they did let me have it unpaid.I must admit that now I would put in for the Saturday and if I did not get it I would not make it known and then pull a sickie.......risky though!
paulp
Posts: 36
Joined: 05 Mar 2010, 09:22
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by paulp »

No uve asked 4 guys to swap so ur manager could get wind and it could lead to dismissal for fraud
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by rehabron »

19times wrote:Yes or no?

I need a Sat off because I've seen a holiday going reasonably cheap but it flys out on a Sat morning, I have asked 4 guys to swap my Sat (week before) but no takers for various reasons.

My sick record is good but I don't like to 'wag' work to be honest.

What you think?
4 colleagues already know your intentions and that is one to many for this to remain discreet and if RM can prove the deceit you are a strong case for dismissal. Would you enjoy your holiday knowing that on your return you have been dropped in it. You have not said when your holiday is to start but if you give sufficient advance warning so alternative arrangements can be made and if you have a good working relationship with your DOM then they could accommodate you, As already posted I would go for other ways of getting your Saturday off rather than the extreme which you are considering.
dubdaz
Posts: 264
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 15:55
Gender: Male
Location: london borough in kent

Pulling a Sicky

Post by dubdaz »

I've found that with our employer cutting staff to the bone and beyond, there's now no way if you need a certain day off,even if your owed holiday that you'd get it. It's a sad fact a postmans only option is to throw a sickie nowadays :sad:
Any married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by Postie45 »

learn from your mistake ... dont go around tell people you need the day off beforehand
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by Surreypostie »

I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by daveyeff »

what pisses me and plenty of other people off, is the fact you cannot get time off when you want it...ESPECIALLY a Saturday. BUT, they bring blokes in who are on annual leave when it suits them. I mentioned to the DOM a while back that they weren't supposed to bring blokes in who are on annual leave for more than one day as there was a bloke who had been in all week, he turned round and said ''well there's ways and means to wangle things''. I said ''so how can you not ''wangle'' a Saturday for me when I want it then''? he just laughed and said don't be like that!! :arrrghhh
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Pulling a Sicky

Post by k979aaa »

Surreypostie wrote:I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Who's at fault then probably our employer not giving staff the holidays they are entitled to because they will not employ more staff so be it on their head's it just a shame it's not a guillotine for managers who lack staffing the office why should staff beg for their holiday's!
rubberbond
Posts: 1497
Joined: 24 Aug 2014, 16:03
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by rubberbond »

Surreypostie wrote:I have always believed that RM wouldn't have such a problem with sick leave if you could get time off when you need it. It is your leave, you ask, they say no, if you go sick they have to cover it anyway, I would never condone anyone taking sick leave though if you are not sick. I have no doubt though that some people do. Personally, I'd ask, if they say no and you can't get it unpaid then don't risk your job. A holiday just isn't worth it in my opinion.
Your sentiments have been echoed by me many times, perhaps if they were a reasonably flexible employer ,instead of being downright inflexible,vindictive and hostile,they might get more cooperation from their employees.
Shaders
Posts: 218
Joined: 22 Jun 2010, 07:47
Gender: Male
Location: Oop North

Pulling a Sicky

Post by Shaders »

With 30 days holiday you'd think having to pull a sickie is stupid but not with this company.
I have done and will pull sickies with no guilt,
Speedmeister
Posts: 119
Joined: 10 Feb 2011, 22:06
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by Speedmeister »

Depends who you are at my office - I asked for a Saturday off & was told no by the lino as they had 4 walks to cover, a few weeks later one of the lino's 'mates' got a Saturday off despite there being 3 walks needed covering.
They take the profits, you take the blame
When they tell you there's no rise in pay
wacko74
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1572
Joined: 04 Apr 2009, 20:35
Gender: Male

Pulling a Sicky

Post by wacko74 »

I know plenty of people in other lines of work who all moan about their jobs, yet they're all able to get odd days off when requested even at just 24 hours notice.

As others have said, it's not that RM are just inflexible, or not even that they don't care about their workforce... they're actually vindictive, spiteful, openly hostile and deliberately awkward, they clearly have a real hatred and resentment towards their employees.