ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Contracted hours

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
roanna_48
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 14:58
Gender: Female

Contracted hours

Post by roanna_48 »

Hi, I am on a 24 hour contract, 4 days a week, however my office told us we were changing to a 30 hour contract which meant I would be working 5 days a week which I was fine with, however when I got my payslip through it had my Basic Pay as 24 hours. So every other hour I work is overtime, but then when I have a holiday I still only get paid for 24 hours. I would just rather stay on my 4 days a week and choose when I want to do overtime which I did anyways but was nice knowing I have the 2 days off if I wanted. Basically, are they allowed to make me come in 5 days a week even though I applied for a 24 hour contract, 4 days a week?!

Thanks
DocketLefty
Posts: 112
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
Gender: Male

Contracted hours

Post by DocketLefty »

shove your contract in their faces and say you don't want overtime. do everything by the book and they won't sack you.
rehabron
Posts: 1372
Joined: 01 Jul 2012, 18:43
Gender: Male

Contracted hours

Post by rehabron »

roanna_48 wrote:Hi, I am on a 24 hour contract, 4 days a week, however my office told us we were changing to a 30 hour contract which meant I would be working 5 days a week which I was fine with, however when I got my payslip through it had my Basic Pay as 24 hours. So every other hour I work is overtime, but then when I have a holiday I still only get paid for 24 hours. I would just rather stay on my 4 days a week and choose when I want to do overtime which I did anyways but was nice knowing I have the 2 days off if I wanted. Basically, are they allowed to make me come in 5 days a week even though I applied for a 24 hour contract, 4 days a week?!

Thanks
Your contract of employment as it stands is for working 24 hours per week not the amount of days you have to attend but RM can make you work your contracted hors over 5 days giving you a shorter hour daily working and any thing over to be classed as overtime at the basic hour rate. If you are unable to complete your duty under 24 hrs/5 days then you would have to advise your DOM that you will be cutting off if unable to complete your walk in this time. This may prove operationally unviable and RM may then take the option which they had agreed of extending your contract to 30 hours/5 days. Contact your union rep that you have been advised that management have advised in an increased of contracted hours but your payslip shows different and HR have not sent you your new contract of employment that was promised.
madmax1
Posts: 72
Joined: 01 Sep 2015, 14:39
Gender: Male

Contracted hours

Post by madmax1 »

.
Last edited by madmax1 on 21 Dec 2016, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
roanna_48
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 14:58
Gender: Female

Contracted hours

Post by roanna_48 »

Thank you for the replies! Very helpful :)