Wondering what info any of you have about the One Wave plan/proposals. I know nothing about it but it sounds like it could be a very big deal from what I've read on here. I know its all obviously yet to be finalised - just wondering what anyone has heard on the grapevine.
When is this plan supposed to come into force ? What are its objectives ? Does it coincide with the end of the guarentee for the universal service ? Does it coincide with the end (possibly) of the defined benefit pension scheme ?
I'm out in the sticks and don't get much info one way or the other till its a done deal/upon us - but what I wanted to ask was what are the plans for the mail being already pre-sorted by the time it reaches me ? How is this to be done - via QR code/2d code ? Is this how they are planning the cuts to delivery (ie.sorting time) ?
Just wondering what you have all heard - it was recently in another thread that the One Wave plan might look to cut walks by up to one third. How do they propose to do this ?
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
One Wave
-
jetblack
- Posts: 974
- Joined: 15 Apr 2011, 12:54
- Gender: Male
One Wave
Good security means trying to limit the damage a Trusted role can do
-
Spedley
- Posts: 1209
- Joined: 16 Jul 2007, 17:32
- Location: Warwickshire
One Wave
All I've been able to gather is that it is based on the 'feeding' system they use in some countries with lower mail volumes.
You get one wave with all that can be mechanically sorted put into order in trays. You then sort everything else as you would normally. Whilst out on delivery you work from two bundles - one you sorted and one the machine sorted - and deliver both concurrently.
It works great with low volume or bulk mail but fails miserably in the UK.
Obviously I could be totally wrong with the very limited info we get trickling down from above but this seems the most likely option. There is no way the mail will be 100% sorted and prepping the machine sorted mail into a frame is a big waste of time so this option is the only one that makes sense.
It would make more sense if their big push for 2D barcodes meant that 90% of mail was sortable, then feeding 10% in (mostly packets and birthday cards etc) whilst on delivery would make more sense but I can't see that happening soon.
You get one wave with all that can be mechanically sorted put into order in trays. You then sort everything else as you would normally. Whilst out on delivery you work from two bundles - one you sorted and one the machine sorted - and deliver both concurrently.
It works great with low volume or bulk mail but fails miserably in the UK.
Obviously I could be totally wrong with the very limited info we get trickling down from above but this seems the most likely option. There is no way the mail will be 100% sorted and prepping the machine sorted mail into a frame is a big waste of time so this option is the only one that makes sense.
It would make more sense if their big push for 2D barcodes meant that 90% of mail was sortable, then feeding 10% in (mostly packets and birthday cards etc) whilst on delivery would make more sense but I can't see that happening soon.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
One Wave
fair bit of speculation and information in these threads:
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 60&t=72910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 16 pages
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 60&t=74191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; One Plan ? What's it's all about help
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ve#p733058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 321/16 Renfrew Delivery Office - Extension of Delivery Span
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ve#p729196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 216/16 - PROPOSED CLOSURES OF DELIVERY OFFICES (1)
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 60&t=72910" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; 16 pages
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 60&t=74191" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; One Plan ? What's it's all about help
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ve#p733058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 321/16 Renfrew Delivery Office - Extension of Delivery Span
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... ve#p729196" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; LTB 216/16 - PROPOSED CLOSURES OF DELIVERY OFFICES (1)
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Pidleypoo
- Posts: 705
- Joined: 17 Dec 2014, 10:05
- Gender: Male
One Wave
I might be wrong but i thought they'd done this in Canada and it was ruled a health and safety breach (the two bundle thing anyway)Spedley wrote:All I've been able to gather is that it is based on the 'feeding' system they use in some countries with lower mail volumes.
You get one wave with all that can be mechanically sorted put into order in trays. You then sort everything else as you would normally. Whilst out on delivery you work from two bundles - one you sorted and one the machine sorted - and deliver both concurrently.
It works great with low volume or bulk mail but fails miserably in the UK.
Obviously I could be totally wrong with the very limited info we get trickling down from above but this seems the most likely option. There is no way the mail will be 100% sorted and prepping the machine sorted mail into a frame is a big waste of time so this option is the only one that makes sense.
It would make more sense if their big push for 2D barcodes meant that 90% of mail was sortable, then feeding 10% in (mostly packets and birthday cards etc) whilst on delivery would make more sense but I can't see that happening soon.
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
One Wave
Sting sang of the SEVENTH wave years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZistami3c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZistami3c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-
Mr Rush
- Posts: 3341
- Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 14:27
- Gender: Male
One Wave
I recall a Canada Post employee writing here many years ago warning us about Moya. The two bundle method came in under her.Pidleypoo wrote:I might be wrong but i thought they'd done this in Canada and it was ruled a health and safety breach (the two bundle thing anyway)
The machine stops.