ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
nufcpostie470
Posts: 3
Joined: 26 Apr 2016, 17:56
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by nufcpostie470 »

Can anyone please advise me as to how I go about trying to get an allowance for buying my own footwear as I am suffering terrible foot trouble and the range of footwear that is supplied by Royal Mail is the root course of it. I have heard that members of staff can get an annual footwear allowance for this purpose and would be grateful for any help with this matter.
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by Postie45 »

i think you have to have a doctors letter, then speak to manager. If you have a decent manager you may not have to see the dr first but because you want to be re compensated youll probably need the letter.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I handed a letter from my GP in to my DOM last week as I'm having terrible problems with my feet. I bought a pair of Karrimor trainers which I've worn for the past two weeks and my foot pain is much improved.

Does anyone know how much the allowance is?
markis
Posts: 92
Joined: 14 Feb 2008, 15:04

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by markis »

It used to be £40, but it is now £30.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by aiden01 »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I handed a letter from my GP in to my DOM last week as I'm having terrible problems with my feet. I bought a pair of Karrimor trainers which I've worn for the past two weeks and my foot pain is much improved.

Does anyone know how much the allowance is?
£30 and is usually paid within two weeks. :thumbup
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by Chelseablue »

And the dctors note is £20
fly-catchers
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 573
Joined: 05 Oct 2008, 16:38
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by fly-catchers »

Can you only claim £30 a year? I got £30 last September when I brought my own shoes. But these are now showing wear and tear and I can see myself needing a new pair soon.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by Chelseablue »

Think its 2 pairs a year?
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by aiden01 »

fly-catchers wrote:Can you only claim £30 a year? I got £30 last September when I brought my own shoes. But these are now showing wear and tear and I can see myself needing a new pair soon.
Show your manager said shoes trainers and if they are badly worn down you need a new pair personally have had 2 pairs in less than 5 months. also its not your manager who decides whether you need a new pair or not AFAIK its up to oh assist on your managers recommendation. So if they refuse speak to your hs rep.
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by DB1100 »

nufcpostie470 wrote:Can anyone please advise me as to how I go about trying to get an allowance for buying my own footwear as I am suffering terrible foot trouble and the range of footwear that is supplied by Royal Mail is the root course of it. I have heard that members of staff can get an annual footwear allowance for this purpose and would be grateful for any help with this matter.
Here you go pal; http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 28&t=70054" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For we were soldiers once,and young
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by Chewster »

£30 for a pair of shoes seems pitifully low if you ask me!
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by aiden01 »

They pay you £30 you then pay whatever the difference is. Not great but hey ho better than EFF all.
aomega001
Posts: 4
Joined: 03 Dec 2013, 15:52
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by aomega001 »

This whole footwear saga is doing my nut in. I go through a pair of Anvils in approx 2-3 months on average 12 miles a day. I am only allowed 2 pairs a year but a manager to order them and say that the pair I have are dangerously low on tread, I get 3-4 pairs a year. I read in the Courrier that the whole footware situation is being revamped and new options will be available. If it is anything like the new PDA's that we were supposed to get last October we may see the new footwear rolled out in poss 2026. And if any of the higher echelon are reading this it is proven that a pair of trainers are only supposed to last 500 miles MAX befeore damage is being done to the wearer, so health and safety issues and legal action a go go.
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by Chewster »

Yeah, the footwear royal mail provides is terrible. I've got a pair of Magnum's right now and they're actually quite good, but having had them since Christmas, they are just about flat on the bottom. I've got a pair of the CAT boots sitting in the garage but the cuff feels like sandpaper on my ankles, absolutely shocking. I've got a pair of old steel toecaps from a previous labouring job that are by far more comfortable than anything I've had from RM, I tend to wear them when it's icy/snowy. To be honest, the best footwear I've ever had for a hard labour job are those "bricklayer" boots, sort of like wellies but thicker and shorter, with steel toecaps. I'd wear a pair of them on duty if it didn't make me look somewhat of a pleb
super-postie
Posts: 94
Joined: 30 Jul 2015, 06:48
Gender: Male

Footwear Allowance payment to purchase own shoes

Post by super-postie »

Chewster wrote:Yeah, the footwear royal mail provides is terrible. I've got a pair of Magnum's right now and they're actually quite good, but having had them since Christmas, they are just about flat on the bottom. I've got a pair of the CAT boots sitting in the garage but the cuff feels like sandpaper on my ankles, absolutely shocking. I've got a pair of old steel toecaps from a previous labouring job that are by far more comfortable than anything I've had from RM, I tend to wear them when it's icy/snowy. To be honest, the best footwear I've ever had for a hard labour job are those "bricklayer" boots, sort of like wellies but thicker and shorter, with steel toecaps. I'd wear a pair of them on duty if it didn't make me look somewhat of a pleb
If car tyres last at least 4000 miles and have speed rating of over 100mph, can't RM employ Pirelli to make the shoes. Youd get good stopping distance in the rain and theyd suit the "runners". My Magnums are comfy but last 12 weeks max. Magnums with 9mm Pirelli tread - a no brainer.