ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Same people getting morning overtime

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Necrofurion
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Apr 2012, 18:27
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by Necrofurion »

Hi all, just a quick question if someone in the know can clarify. We have certain members of staff in our office who are on the same contract (30hrs) as many of us. Yet they seem to be given an extra 2 hours every morning to come in to prep/sort or do packets but usually sneak onto their frame and prep a little here and there ha.

I'm not gonna go run on tell on people but isn't there something wrong with that, the same people given the overtime and it not being offered to others, looks a bit like favouritism to me? I don't mind starting a little earlier as I'm always awake dead early anyway, but I don't like working past my time where I can and I would like to be offered a few extra hours now and then.

Pretty sure when I did my training a few years back the guy training us said overtime should be provided to the office equally and if it isn't that's a big no no.

If I'm wrong, so be it :)
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by postslippete »

Overtime and annual leave should be allocated fairly - its in the way forward agreement


Speak to your line manager
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
ptopgusedandabused
Posts: 8
Joined: 03 Mar 2016, 22:42
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by ptopgusedandabused »

postslippete wrote:Overtime and annual leave should be allocated fairly - its in the way forward agreement


Speak to your line manager

We all know this is a myth...
apple
Posts: 496
Joined: 03 Dec 2007, 17:13
Gender: Male
Location: Pluto

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by apple »

make sure they are aware that you want to work OT by whatever system is in place at your office, then monitor the situation, do you get any? is it being fairly done etc if you don't think it's still not being done fairly, ask the union rep, still not been done stick a grievance in!
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

ptopgusedandabused wrote:
postslippete wrote:Overtime and annual leave should be allocated fairly - its in the way forward agreement


Speak to your line manager
It's only a myth to people who don't read the agreements in force and use them to ensure they are treated fairly


We all know this is a myth...
nickbsmooth
Posts: 279
Joined: 25 Jan 2013, 14:19
Gender: Male
Location: South East

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by nickbsmooth »

Every office has deals being cut ,if your face fits you get regular OT or you can go out on delivery while others are just arriving to start work.
Necrofurion
Posts: 7
Joined: 11 Apr 2012, 18:27
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by Necrofurion »

Well one of the chaps who's getting this 2hr a day usually sweeps up when people dont take their laspe as well. He clocked 70hrs at one point in our office then the bosses above had an enquiry about it and put a block on the amount he can do.

Ive got no problem with people wanting to do the overtime if they like but it just feels like because he helps them out by taking the lapse when people wanna finish on their time hes getting rewarded with an extra 10hrs of overtime thats before he works past his time finishing off the other stuff.

Ill mention it to the line manager on tuesday when he returns from his 1 in 2 long weekend they seems to get....thats a whole different conversation lol
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by feduppostie »

Necrofurion wrote:Hi all, just a quick question if someone in the know can clarify. We have certain members of staff in our office who are on the same contract (30hrs) as many of us. Yet they seem to be given an extra 2 hours every morning to come in to prep/sort or do packets but usually sneak onto their frame and prep a little here and there ha.

I'm not gonna go run on tell on people but isn't there something wrong with that, the same people given the overtime and it not being offered to others, looks a bit like favouritism to me? I don't mind starting a little earlier as I'm always awake dead early anyway, but I don't like working past my time where I can and I would like to be offered a few extra hours now and then.

Pretty sure when I did my training a few years back the guy training us said overtime should be provided to the office equally and if it isn't that's a big no no.

If I'm wrong, so be it :)
Maybe if you have communicated to your manager the bit in bold, then he assumes this means you do not want any overtime at all - maybe make him aware that although you can't work over in an afternoon you would happily work extra in the mornings
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Similar situations exist in most DOs. You've got the laugh at some Posties Neck........ We had one that would blatantly refuse to do ANY overtime, beyond his hours........ BUT would then moan that he wasn't being given the chance to do any overtime. So they let him come in early and do some IPS and prep another Duty........What we call his "Special Overtime"! :dance

That kept him happy for a while and then you can guess what happened next....He started complaining about having to spend too much time prepping this other Duty and doing IPS. Nowadays I think he does no IPS and throws off as much as he likes before sneaking back onto his own frame! :arrrghhh

There are certain occasions when I do feel sorry for our Manager because he's got Bugger All Authority really, with Bugger All support from his Boss. Must be quite difficult when you've got Dickheads taking the Piss, and whatever you do they're not happy! :cuppa
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by POSTMAN »

The rep in offices should be aware of OT issues and to make sure it's handled properly and fairly.
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
olilew
Posts: 594
Joined: 19 May 2010, 22:04
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by olilew »

]

Maybe if you have communicated to your manager the bit in bold, then he assumes this means you do not want any overtime at all - maybe make him aware that although you can't work over in an afternoon you would happily work extra in the mornings[/quote]




This is exactly what I do.
"Just take it out and see how you go......."
postslippete
Posts: 4194
Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by postslippete »

Necrofurion wrote:Well one of the chaps who's getting this 2hr a day usually sweeps up when people dont take their laspe as well. He clocked 70hrs at one point in our office then the bosses above had an enquiry about it and put a block on the amount he can do.

Ive got no problem with people wanting to do the overtime if they like but it just feels like because he helps them out by taking the lapse when people wanna finish on their time hes getting rewarded with an extra 10hrs of overtime thats before he works past his time finishing off the other stuff.

Ill mention it to the line manager on tuesday when he returns from his 1 in 2 long weekend they seems to get....thats a whole different conversation lol

Thank god you have a boss who actually cares about his staff! Working 70 hours a week in this business may give him a nice pay check in the short term but what of his health in the long term??

Does sound similar to a guy at our place. He runs round with a bag on his back and finishes 2 hours before his finish time but then gets the managers good graces by taking out other peoples lapsed loops :crazy: :crazy:

But see, the managers don't really care as long as the mail gets delivered at the end of the day. So that is the impression I get now at Royal Mail; that our health & safety and that our quality targets are completely and entirely secondary to getting all the mail delivered satisfactorily.
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Same people getting morning overtime

Post by Kings Norton »

Necrofurion wrote:Hi all, just a quick question if someone in the know can clarify. We have certain members of staff in our office who are on the same contract (30hrs) as many of us. Yet they seem to be given an extra 2 hours every morning to come in to prep/sort or do packets but usually sneak onto their frame and prep a little here and there ha.

I'm not gonna go run on tell on people but isn't there something wrong with that, the same people given the overtime and it not being offered to others, looks a bit like favouritism to me? I don't mind starting a little earlier as I'm always awake dead early anyway, but I don't like working past my time where I can and I would like to be offered a few extra hours now and then.

Pretty sure when I did my training a few years back the guy training us said overtime should be provided to the office equally and if it isn't that's a big no no.

If I'm wrong, so be it :)
Two hours a morning seems a lot my friend are you sure about that and he is not doing a hour off his own back or winding you up? I could throw boxes in for nearly every walk in the office in that time so what's everyone else doing? And for having someone in for two hours on a Tuesday is joke cannot believe that....All I can say is speak up and sort it out, pointing it out on here will not solve it...