ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
postiewhite
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 619
Joined: 23 Jul 2013, 18:38
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by postiewhite »

2 days ago I started getting pain on my lower shin after my duty. Ive had this ache before but usually goes off after a few hours but the next day I still had this pain so that day at work I was stuggling. When I finished I noticed that part of my shin was swollen slightly so when I got home I did the RICE method and elevated my leg with an ice pack which hasnt helped. Today is sunday and even walking around im limping cos of the pain and im due back to work tomorrow, off tuesday so ill see the doctor.
Is this a normal procedure to go into indoor duties or actual sickness? My concern is that its only gonna get worse if ot is shin splints if im moving about (ie stuck in callers office or moving stuff around). I know shin splints is common in our job but I dont know what we do about work and whether to get a sick note or go to light duties?
loverman shabba
Posts: 238
Joined: 11 Jul 2013, 15:15
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by loverman shabba »

guy in my office got a 2 week sick note if i remember correctly. rest is best
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by datasaint »

Sounds like one of those injuries that only gets worse if you ignore it. So take the rest now.

Try some Voltarol gel as well, I found this really worked when I was experiencing knee/achilles pain - https://www.voltarol.co.uk/products/app ... -emulgel-p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chewster
Posts: 527
Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by Chewster »

My old rugby coach used to swear by treatment of deep heat followed by deep freeze and repeat as many times as necessary. Failing that, it was ice bath followed by hot bath. Never mended one guy's broken arm but seemed to work for everything else :left:

You are better going to the doctor and taking sick if they recommend it though. A little niggle can easily become something major in the long term!
miles_peters
Posts: 297
Joined: 19 Jul 2014, 12:29
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by miles_peters »

go sick
salomon2
Posts: 103
Joined: 07 Jan 2016, 10:27
Gender: Female

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by salomon2 »

Try some compression socks and look on you tube for some physio tips/ exercises
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by Nondescript »

Go sick, it's your health that's at stake. The pen fondling filth you work for never get shin splints because:

a) They never venture further than the nearest coffee vending machine
b) They slither instead of walk

:thumbup
psyCrowe
Posts: 57
Joined: 23 Feb 2016, 12:28
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by psyCrowe »

You might need to get insoles for your shoes/boots.

This is a problem I've suffered for years with in this job, and only recently has been rectified. Arrange an appointment with physio, they may refer you to podiatry clinic after an assessment ( its what happened to me ). Nurse watched me walk up and down corridor a few times in my bare feet and told me that it's the way I walk. Handed me a set of insoles, sent me on my way, and my legs have felt great.

Get it sorted before you do permanant damage, hope this helps!
korky
Posts: 797
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 09:28

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by korky »

have you changed your footwear?
i got shin splints when i first started, was wearing my own shoes and not really meant for walking long distance in,
it was very painful so changed to something better and was fine in a few days
hellpop
Posts: 62
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by hellpop »

People at our office have been off for up to six weeks with shinsplints.whatever you do don't ignore it or it will just get worse.
DocketLefty
Posts: 112
Joined: 03 Jul 2015, 22:06
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by DocketLefty »

man up
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

shin splints?? If so what's the next step.?

Post by 2pints »

You dont need time off with this.Just keep it elevated and warm.I have just had it bad on my left leg,frozen peas on it for 5 mins followed by heat for 5 mins 3 times day.For the heat i got an old sock and filled it with rice(not too full) and microwaved it for 3 mins.When you need to warm it up again you will only need 2 mins.The sock trick works for any muscle aches,it is good as it moulds to your shape,is cheap and endlessly reuseable.Mine got better in a week.I also used trolleys on heavy bags.