ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Age Discrimination?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Age Discrimination?

Post by BingBong »

Hello everyone! Just a quick one. At what point does being told you are young so there is no excuse not to be able to complete your duty and lapse become an age discrimination issue?

"You are younger than most in here, there shouldn't be any duty or lapsing problems for you!"

I thought we all had to work to a set standard whatever our age? I feel like they expect more out of me because of being younger? Also it's rather insulting to the older person I think? Advice?
Toon Army!
deltaforce
Posts: 778
Joined: 01 Jan 2009, 15:29
Gender: Male

Age Discrimination?

Post by deltaforce »

Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Age Discrimination?

Post by bustedflush »

deltaforce wrote:Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
That is an excellent point.

The DIM is probably measuring the performance against the young 'runners'....
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Age Discrimination?

Post by BingBong »

deltaforce wrote:Unless you are disabled you should be measured against the agreed standards. As they nearly always refuse to come out with you to gauge your work rate,but rather compare you with aflawed computer programme, it's all a bit futile.
I cut off today. Manager wanted to know why. Told them the walk is too long. Even on so called light days! I then said I'm happy to be walk tested anytime on anyday. They ignored me.
Toon Army!
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Age Discrimination?

Post by Postie45 »

do you have a decent union rep ? probably time to make he/she aware of this.
Nondescript
Posts: 232
Joined: 29 Nov 2013, 16:25
Gender: Male

Age Discrimination?

Post by Nondescript »

BingBong wrote:Hello everyone! Just a quick one. At what point does being told you are young so there is no excuse not to be able to complete your duty and lapse become an age discrimination issue?

"You are younger than most in here, there shouldn't be any duty or lapsing problems for you!"

I thought we all had to work to a set standard whatever our age? I feel like they expect more out of me because of being younger? Also it's rather insulting to the older person I think? Advice?
Typical scumbag RM line manager ploy, that is divide and conquer. Trying to set you apart from your colleagues, so that you feel inadequate/angry/stressed/cowed or a mixture of any of those. One day those desk-bound, work-shy coffee receptacles will get their comeuppance.
BingBong
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 755
Joined: 12 May 2011, 12:36
Gender: Female
Location: the north

Age Discrimination?

Post by BingBong »

Postie45 wrote:do you have a decent union rep ? probably time to make he/she aware of this.
Yes. Our rep is very good but they've been on holiday as has the sub rep. I have made them aware though via phone call.
Toon Army!
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Age Discrimination?

Post by fishtank »

As always when scumbag managers make stupid comments, ask for it in writing or even ask him to repeat it in front of your rep, usually puts an end to the shite. Cowards the lot of them.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share