ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Flashman_
Posts: 363
Joined: 05 Jan 2010, 00:08
Gender: Male

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by Flashman_ »

A job has come up in our office that I wanted to go for as its a better and easier one than I am doing.
I have the required seniority that should guarantee getting the duty.
However the Dom has said I cannot take it because my driving status has lapsed (having not driven for just under a year) and he does not want to pay to have me reassessed. I suspect this is just an excuse, to prevent me, who always follows the correct delivery methods, upsetting the status quo with the runner who is the other partner.
Does anyone know if this is correct, does driving status lapse if you do not have your docs checked.?
Surely, it is now policy to have everybody able to drive so what other reason for barring me could there be?
2pints
Posts: 286
Joined: 28 Feb 2013, 16:46
Gender: Male

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by 2pints »

union
doorstepped
Posts: 1063
Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
Gender: Male
Location: Somewhere west of London

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by doorstepped »

load of B********

how can your driving lapse!! you have a driving licence and have passed their so called fit for driving test.

so your dom is telling the world that anyone who has an HCT walk for more than a year never has to drive again, can't wait to tell my office that tomorrow when the packet guy goes sick and there is no one available to do the duty for the reason given by your dom.

as for not having your driving documents checked, thats your doms fault for not doing so, not yours.
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Well, I am not sure if there is an agreement that your Drivers Risk Assessment lapses after a year of no driving, perhaps an email to CWU HQ would clarify. However, I do know that under H&S regulations Royal Mail (and all other employees) have to check your licence every so often to make sure you have no endorsements (legal and medical) and that you are therefore legal to drive.

Ergo if you don't have a licence check within the agreed timescales then, yes they can allow you not to drive, in fact, they face prosecution under The Corporate Manslaughter and Corporate Homicide Act 2007 and health and safety legislation if they don’t. As to who is at fault the law doesn't care if it's the managers or employees fault, if the licence hasn't been checked, the driver can't drive till it is.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
rainbowwarrior72
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 431
Joined: 07 Nov 2009, 11:14
Gender: Male

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by rainbowwarrior72 »

I was always told that you were always a driver once you had your changeover unless you are removed from Driving. I'd put in a grievance against the DOM but also speak to your CWU Rep if you don'thave one get hold of the Area Delivery Rep
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Barred from a duty because the other partner is a runner.

Post by fishtank »

As always with made up s**t, ask for it in writing.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share