ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Things to get before you go to workplace
-
POSTWOMAN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 30 Apr 2010, 20:23
- Gender: Female
Things to get before you go to workplace
What you need. Of course you have to do your research & select something similar of your choice and find which place offers the best price.
Get your vitamins
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Chapter-eve ... 44&sr=1-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worked for me as its good for knee which is abused in our job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osteo-Bi-Flex-S ... B00B18A1W2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good for joints.
http://www.boots.com/en/Seven-Seas-Cod- ... sules_505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used to mix it with Kellogs Special K to make a smoothie for breakfast before I leave office.
http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/dyma ... 2275g/3858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just a few sip in a very small cup if you feel sleepy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Fuel-Ene ... B0043PVZNY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back support. I preferred the soft ones.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Back-Supp ... -_1143917/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cant remember which one but I had one which was very thick and acted as cushion.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Work ... B005342GU0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helps the feet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orthotic-insole ... 831&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.boots.com/en/Scholl-Shock-Ab ... -_1213121/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hand sanitisers. If your hands get dirty for whatever reason on the walk then u you can use it asap.
http://www.boots.com/en/Carex-Complete- ... l_1269425/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep One handy as you never know. Forget dogs cuts can happen just by faulty letterbox
http://www.boots.com/en/Elastoplast-Ext ... s_1260217/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Get your vitamins
http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Chapter-eve ... 44&sr=1-13" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Worked for me as its good for knee which is abused in our job.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Osteo-Bi-Flex-S ... B00B18A1W2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good for joints.
http://www.boots.com/en/Seven-Seas-Cod- ... sules_505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I used to mix it with Kellogs Special K to make a smoothie for breakfast before I leave office.
http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk/en/dyma ... 2275g/3858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just a few sip in a very small cup if you feel sleepy.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rocket-Fuel-Ene ... B0043PVZNY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Back support. I preferred the soft ones.
http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Back-Supp ... -_1143917/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I cant remember which one but I had one which was very thick and acted as cushion.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Industrial-Work ... B005342GU0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helps the feet
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Orthotic-insole ... 831&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.boots.com/en/Scholl-Shock-Ab ... -_1213121/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hand sanitisers. If your hands get dirty for whatever reason on the walk then u you can use it asap.
http://www.boots.com/en/Carex-Complete- ... l_1269425/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Keep One handy as you never know. Forget dogs cuts can happen just by faulty letterbox
http://www.boots.com/en/Elastoplast-Ext ... s_1260217/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by POSTWOMAN on 07 Mar 2016, 00:41, edited 2 times in total.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
Links don't seem to be working. But you're right about the orthotic insoles, what a difference they made for me when I finally got round to buying them! I've got flat feet as well so really it is needed. I'm not sure if you've linked to it already or not, but I'd also recommend knee and ankle supports to anybody. I've got dodgy knees and ankles as a result of the flat feet, and wearing one of these supports on a day when it's particularly bad fairly does make a difference.
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
Chewster wrote:Links don't seem to be working. But you're right about the orthotic insoles, what a difference they made for me when I finally got round to buying them! I've got flat feet as well so really it is needed. I'm not sure if you've linked to it already or not, but I'd also recommend knee and ankle supports to anybody. I've got dodgy knees and ankles as a result of the flat feet, and wearing one of these supports on a day when it's particularly bad fairly does make a difference.
I can't be without the orthotics I was prescribed by the nhs podiatrists - mine are Vasyli VOL Full Length Orthotics, in High Density with 4 degree rearfoot wedge. I've got a new pair still in their box from the podiatrist who I saw last year. Will need to buy my next set myself though, £35! But worth it.
With regards to knee supports, i got my knuckles rapped from my physio for wearing one while on delivery prior to me getting my knee surgery - while they help support the knee, they cause the supporting muscles to weaken, thus causing more problems long term. Following my knee surgery, I'm now seeing the physios once a week to do squats / lunges / single leg dips to strengthen my flaccid leg muscles.
Not sure whether it's all in the mind or not, but i'm sure glucosamine is helping my recovery from knee surgery late last year.
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Things to get before you go to workplace
I have a feeling this happened to me. They helped in the short term, but I kept wearing them thinking they'd prevent further issues, but they caused them!greengiant wrote: With regards to knee supports, i got my knuckles rapped from my physio for wearing one while on delivery prior to me getting my knee surgery - while they help support the knee, they cause the supporting muscles to weaken, thus causing more problems long term.
I have almost flat feet (if thats possible) and I've tried every insole there is I reckon. They feel wonderful at first, lovely cushioning, but didn't stop me getting Plantar Fasciitis. Now I won't use any unless they have arch supports. What a difference!
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
Would you recommend going and getting orhotics from the NHS then? I've got a pair I bought off amazon for a couple quid which have pretty good arch support (certainly the best I've ever had anyway) but I wonder if in the long term it's really gonna be much use without getting a "professional" pair?greengiant wrote:Chewster wrote:Links don't seem to be working. But you're right about the orthotic insoles, what a difference they made for me when I finally got round to buying them! I've got flat feet as well so really it is needed. I'm not sure if you've linked to it already or not, but I'd also recommend knee and ankle supports to anybody. I've got dodgy knees and ankles as a result of the flat feet, and wearing one of these supports on a day when it's particularly bad fairly does make a difference.
I can't be without the orthotics I was prescribed by the nhs podiatrists - mine are Vasyli VOL Full Length Orthotics, in High Density with 4 degree rearfoot wedge. I've got a new pair still in their box from the podiatrist who I saw last year. Will need to buy my next set myself though, £35! But worth it.
With regards to knee supports, i got my knuckles rapped from my physio for wearing one while on delivery prior to me getting my knee surgery - while they help support the knee, they cause the supporting muscles to weaken, thus causing more problems long term. Following my knee surgery, I'm now seeing the physios once a week to do squats / lunges / single leg dips to strengthen my flaccid leg muscles.![]()
Not sure whether it's all in the mind or not, but i'm sure glucosamine is helping my recovery from knee surgery late last year.
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
I have bupa bespoke ones but rm keep changing the shoe supplier so am back to square one, however now with a size too big on anvils my pain has finally calmed down, for now!
-
HarryPoorer
- Posts: 112
- Joined: 06 Jul 2011, 21:07
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
I have bupa bespoke ones but rm keep changing the shoe supplier so am back to square one, however now with a size too big on anvils my pain has finally calmed down, for now! cheap ones won't work.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
I always always always get boots/wellies in a size too big! If I try to wear the right size then my feet are just agony. Thanks, I think I'll have to book an appointment with the foot folk and get myself some proper orthotics made up. These cheap ones seem to do the job for a while but they don't last long
-
crazyshrew
- Posts: 584
- Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 16:58
- Gender: Female
- Location: Coastal, South West
Things to get before you go to workplace
Personally I would, As they can do a full knowledgeable assessment and work out what's best for you. As you can see from what others have said about the knee supports, the wrong thing can do more harm than good.Chewster wrote:Would you recommend going and getting orhotics from the NHS then? I've got a pair I bought off amazon for a couple quid which have pretty good arch support (certainly the best I've ever had anyway) but I wonder if in the long term it's really gonna be much use without getting a "professional" pair?greengiant wrote:Chewster wrote:Links don't seem to be working. But you're right about the orthotic insoles, what a difference they made for me when I finally got round to buying them! I've got flat feet as well so really it is needed. I'm not sure if you've linked to it already or not, but I'd also recommend knee and ankle supports to anybody. I've got dodgy knees and ankles as a result of the flat feet, and wearing one of these supports on a day when it's particularly bad fairly does make a difference.
I can't be without the orthotics I was prescribed by the nhs podiatrists - mine are Vasyli VOL Full Length Orthotics, in High Density with 4 degree rearfoot wedge. I've got a new pair still in their box from the podiatrist who I saw last year. Will need to buy my next set myself though, £35! But worth it.
When I went to a NHS podiatrist I knew I was walking wonky and in pain with off the shelf products being of no help. The Pod was able to thoroughly assess me add all the right additional wedges (custom made) and metatarsal supports in the right place for me. Whole thing took about 90 minutes but well worth hanging about on the waiting list, not only do my work shoes last twice as long as they did before but....
...the NHS service was FAR superior to the private clinic I visited about 9 months later when I needed replacements. No assessment, Was told the problem I had wasn't possible because NO-ONE does that, then sent on my way with a new set (off the shelf, no fitting) that actually accentuated the issue and destroyed a new pair of shoes in just over a week.
-
franco1
- Posts: 185
- Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
Thanks for the valuable info.
I will certainly be seeing my GP to refer me for some feet supports.
This is a very important issue which all should try to do something about.
Where on our feet all day walking.
I will certainly be seeing my GP to refer me for some feet supports.
This is a very important issue which all should try to do something about.
Where on our feet all day walking.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
Anything that helps you out is obviously a good idea!
BUT don't you think RM should have been a bit Pro Active with this type of thing and given all Posties the opportunity to have a professional consultation? I'm sure they'd save money in the long term (which is all they're ever worried about). The ammount of Posties going down with feet/ankle knee/hip problems must be effecting their Operational Efficiency? 
I've starting measuring the walks I cover AGAIN. As I don't believe some of the figures the Regular guys are quoting. They're averaging 6-10 miles, which is a lot of mileage, week after week!
With some of these aids I'm sure we'd get less injuries? That can't be a bad thing. 
I've starting measuring the walks I cover AGAIN. As I don't believe some of the figures the Regular guys are quoting. They're averaging 6-10 miles, which is a lot of mileage, week after week!
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
postslippete
- Posts: 4194
- Joined: 14 Jul 2014, 16:27
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
There are just 2 things for me....
A good bed and a comfortable pair of shoes. Because if you're not in one, you're on the other!
A good bed and a comfortable pair of shoes. Because if you're not in one, you're on the other!
On the face of it, shareholder value is the dumbest idea in the world.
-
Chewster
- Posts: 527
- Joined: 15 Jan 2016, 12:34
- Gender: Male
Things to get before you go to workplace
We've got one older gent currently going on his (very small) duty with one hip! Wonder how much he's cost RM with paid leave for operations/appointments etc...and how much of that could have been saved if RM had cared just a bit more about us in the first place?Dorset Plodder wrote:The ammount of Posties going down with feet/ankle knee/hip problems must be effecting their Operational Efficiency?