ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
-
Djjarvis
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 30 Mar 2015, 16:33
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but anyway; i'm part-time, contracted to work 5 hours a day starting at 10am and finishing at 3pm. We're so short staffed in our office that this never happens. I've basically been doing full time hours since i can remember. Today my project manager asked me why i can't help lapse a delivery and i replied that i was due to finish at 11:45am. She said no. Any indoor work that i do is regarded as overtime and i don't start my contracted hours until 10am. When i first started at the company your start time was when you walked through the door and signed on and if your manager wanted you to start earlier because he had no one to prep my delivery i would start early and my overtime would be calculated as anything worked beyond my 5 hours for that day. Is she right or wrong?
-
motherhubbard
- Posts: 1001
- Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
- Gender: Female
- Location: in the cupboard
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
She is right.Djjarvis wrote: Is she right or wrong?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
It wasn't a good fit as that thread is more of a statement one rather than a question one.Djjarvis wrote:Not sure if this is the correct forum,
Plus don't be worried about starting a new thread, us Mods will merge it with one that answers your question if we think it's appropriate. In this case, a brand new thread is definitely the best option
She is right. In Royal Mail overtime is all hours worked before your official start time, or after your official finishing time. Also, overtime is not compulsory every day for Royal Mail. If you have to be somewhere before 10 am then tell them, they can't do anything about it, but avoid confrontation by telling them as early as possible. For overtime after hours - again same thing it's not compulsory so if you can't complete on a day you want to finish on time, then advise them you need assistance.Djjarvis wrote:but anyway; I'm part-time, contracted to work 5 hours a day starting at 10 am and finishing at 3 pm. We're so short staffed in our office that this never happens. I've basically been doing full-time hours since I can remember. Today my project manager asked me why I can't help lapse a delivery and I replied that I was due to finish at 11:45 am. She said no. Any indoor work that I do is regarded as overtime and I don't start my contracted hours until 10 am. When I first started at the company your start time was when you walked through the door and signed on and if your manager wanted you to start earlier because he had no one to prep my delivery I would start early and my overtime would be calculated as anything worked beyond my 5 hours for that day. Is she right or wrong?
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
Have any you guys got any evidence for your claims?
I'm part time due to finish at 12 noon I've used it to my advantage a few times.
They tried making me stay til 2pm saying i started 2 hours before contract start but I phoned HR and they said that I have 25 hours contract and no official start or finish time, just 5 hours per day.
If I'm told to come in on full duty start time then that's my start time.
I even found my job description on an old email which stated "8-1 everyday"
I'm part time due to finish at 12 noon I've used it to my advantage a few times.
They tried making me stay til 2pm saying i started 2 hours before contract start but I phoned HR and they said that I have 25 hours contract and no official start or finish time, just 5 hours per day.
If I'm told to come in on full duty start time then that's my start time.
I even found my job description on an old email which stated "8-1 everyday"
-
Whysoslowyehcfc
- Posts: 238
- Joined: 02 Apr 2014, 15:57
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
We had a part timer who has every Saturday off thanks to someone who f****d up when employing themCreditshampoo wrote:Have any you guys got any evidence for your claims?
I'm part time due to finish at 12 noon I've used it to my advantage a few times.
They tried making me stay til 2pm saying i started 2 hours before contract start but I phoned HR and they said that I have 25 hours contract and no official start or finish time, just 5 hours per day.
If I'm told to come in on full duty start time then that's my start time.
I even found my job description on an old email which stated "8-1 everyday"
-
IcanthelpthewayIam
- Posts: 4067
- Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
Every duty has a 318 in that it shoes the duty start and finish times, that's the official times for the duty you are on (if part time and cover a few full time duties as part of a rotate then there will be a part time 318 as well)Creditshampoo wrote:Have any you guys got any evidence for your claims?
I'm part time due to finish at 12 noon I've used it to my advantage a few times.
They tried making me stay til 2pm saying i started 2 hours before contract start but I phoned HR and they said that I have 25 hours contract and no official start or finish time, just 5 hours per day.
If I'm told to come in on full duty start time then that's my start time.
I even found my job description on an old email which stated "8-1 everyday"
they are the only times they can hold you to, before or after those times is completely voluntary, but if you come in early without express agreement then dom is entitled to hold you to the 318 finish time
-
fishtank
- Posts: 19732
- Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
Why would you start 2 hours before your start time if you hadn't been expressly asked to and why would management ask you to if it meant you would just do 5 hours and go home?
Of course it's overtime. Forget what your contracted says, mine has me working 6 days a week and starting at 4.30am but it also states that it's subject to collective agreements and change and all sorts of bollocks that renders it useless, on a side note, anyone seen a 318 lately?
Of course it's overtime. Forget what your contracted says, mine has me working 6 days a week and starting at 4.30am but it also states that it's subject to collective agreements and change and all sorts of bollocks that renders it useless, on a side note, anyone seen a 318 lately?
good times, bad times you know I've had my share
-
Creditshampoo
- Posts: 1189
- Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
- Gender: Male
Overtime - before and after hours (By Djjarvis)
Because in my office there's 10 part timers all on full time duties.fishtank wrote:Why would you start 2 hours before your start time if you hadn't been expressly asked to and why would management ask you to if it meant you would just do 5 hours and go home?
Of course it's overtime. Forget what your contracted says, mine has me working 6 days a week and starting at 4.30am but it also states that it's subject to collective agreements and change and all sorts of bollocks that renders it useless, on a side note, anyone seen a 318 lately?
318 states they start early so they come in that time. If they didn't the walk wouldn't get prepped and no one would be on the sorting .