A bit of advice required please.
I applied for a new job ages ago and gave the name of my DOM as referee, as I filled out the application in a rush and didn't really expect to be short listed anyway. However, I have now been offered the job and regret the decision to name my DOM as referee because I don't trust him to write a professional reference (think he may be a little envious that I'm escaping). Anyway, does anyone know the policy regarding references. Should they go to HR?
Thanks in advance.
ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Reference
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Reference
They provide a reference but its only start and end date, with the reason for leaving. Its included in the leaving gumpf they give you.Creditshampoo wrote:Pretty sure it's Royal mails policy to not provide references.
Managers can give a personal reference in a private capacity.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Reference
If you accept the job your DOM will obviously get the request and it's up to him if he replies I would think. Have a word with him, say you've got the job and say you would appreciate a fair reference or if he doesn't want to do it to pass it to HR. If he lies on a reference you can sue him for defamation nodoubt so he would be an idiot to write anything untruthful.UsernameAlreadyInUse wrote:A bit of advice required please.
I applied for a new job ages ago and gave the name of my DOM as referee, as I filled out the application in a rush and didn't really expect to be short listed anyway. However, I have now been offered the job and regret the decision to name my DOM as referee because I don't trust him to write a professional reference (think he may be a little envious that I'm escaping). Anyway, does anyone know the policy regarding references. Should they go to HR?
Thanks in advance.
-
POSTWOMAN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 30 Apr 2010, 20:23
- Gender: Female
Reference
To
3rd Party Enquiries
HR Services
Bristol Mail Centre
PO Box 500
Gloucester Rd North
BS99 1WZ
See the attached request for information about my employment with
Royal Mail Group Limited
I confirm that I agree to Royal Mail providing any information requested
by ______________________________________________________________
(Enter the Name or Company Name of your next prospective employer(s) and give them this
form)
Signed:
Pay Number (ESSENTIAL):
Name (BLOCK CAPITALS):
Date:
Make as many copies of this form as you need and GIVE COMPLETED COPIES TO YOUR NEXT
PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER(S) in order that they can seek references or other information about
your period of employment with Royal Mail.
Royal Mail will not provide any information to third parties about your period of employment
unless the request is accompanied by confirmation of your consent
3rd Party Enquiries
HR Services
Bristol Mail Centre
PO Box 500
Gloucester Rd North
BS99 1WZ
See the attached request for information about my employment with
Royal Mail Group Limited
I confirm that I agree to Royal Mail providing any information requested
by ______________________________________________________________
(Enter the Name or Company Name of your next prospective employer(s) and give them this
form)
Signed:
Pay Number (ESSENTIAL):
Name (BLOCK CAPITALS):
Date:
Make as many copies of this form as you need and GIVE COMPLETED COPIES TO YOUR NEXT
PROSPECTIVE EMPLOYER(S) in order that they can seek references or other information about
your period of employment with Royal Mail.
Royal Mail will not provide any information to third parties about your period of employment
unless the request is accompanied by confirmation of your consent
-
POSTWOMAN
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 107
- Joined: 30 Apr 2010, 20:23
- Gender: Female
Reference
I have used the form by putting my signature, pay number & name. I don't know if its still valid to use this now. You can phone the HR number & ask for latest form for Employer Reference or even ask whats the valid procedure to get reference now.
I always used the form saying that Royal does not give any info unless I sign the form because of privacy act etc & hand the prospective employer this form
I always used the form saying that Royal does not give any info unless I sign the form because of privacy act etc & hand the prospective employer this form