ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

My holiday entitlement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by Dave74 »

Morning,

I have a question,

I have been employed as a part-timer for 9 months (and only taken one day off). I have endlessly tried to get the one in charge of the wages and the holidays to tell me how many days off I'm entitled to. I never did receive a holiday form and I automatically thought that I could take any days off as long as it wasn't on the Christmas period. Now I have seen the charts of the people who have taken leave and everything is booked (I thought of going away for August with wife and kid) but naturally it's all booked. I told the rep and he told me that since I've only been in the job for a short period of time that seniority comes first but that I should have been given the holiday form ages ago. Where does equality goes in? My partner already booked August off her job thinking I could do the same. Where do I stand? Do I just have to get the gaps that are left on the calendar?
Thanks
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by Creditshampoo »

Seniority can't come first in anual Leave booking that's discrimination.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

So you have been at RM since ~June 2015?

If so, you are entitled to ~10/12 (~83%) of this year's annual leave, which would be ~3.75 weeks (full year basic entitlement is 4.5 weeks).

From recent posts on the forum, it sounds like you legally should have been able to book most if not all of that time during this current holiday year, which finishes on March 28th if I recall correctly.

Your DOM should have been allowing OPGs to pick holiday weeks for 2016-17 by the end of October 2015, not using seniority as a way of deciding who chooses earlier, but in an orderly fashion where everyone knows holiday picking is happening.

It sounds like you have only had one holiday DAY this year and you have nothing booked for 2016-17 so far, which if correct, is very wrong,
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by Creditshampoo »

If you started June 2015 it's very likely the holiday 15/16 for your office was all booked up by then.
Holiday isn't a privilege its an entitlement.
If you were me I would be putting in a grievance and also look into making a complaint to the union about your god awful rep
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by Dave74 »

Thanks. So what will happen now? Will I get stuck with calendar gaps that nobody wants?
lczola
Posts: 4
Joined: 16 May 2007, 16:32

My holiday entitlement

Post by lczola »

Creditshampoo wrote:Seniority can't come first in anual Leave booking that's discrimination.
I've 30 years service, had to book leave on seniority for my first 15-20 years getting crap holidays all the time, so presumably from your comments I was discriminated against for all that time......who do I claim against!!!?
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by POSTMAN »

We've had this many times on here,the quick version is,some offices still use seniority for holidays.
This was after a complaint from some when seniority was abolished for picking holidays.(Was it the way forward?).

Will look for the links when I've got time.

Read the rest of this thread...
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 45#p435378.." onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Image
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Dave74
Posts: 42
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:40
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by Dave74 »

Thank you very much for having taken time to reply with an explanation. That is all I wanted. Cheers
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

My holiday entitlement

Post by peshwaarinaan »

I started in July and had an entitlement of 12 days (I do a 4 day week). I managed to book two weeks that I wanted but have to carry forward the remaining days as we have so many off sick and there are no gaps left.
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

My holiday entitlement

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

peshwaarinaan wrote:I started in July and had an entitlement of 12 days (I do a 4 day week). I managed to book two weeks that I wanted but have to carry forward the remaining days as we have so many off sick AMD there are no gaps left.
But that remaining week is part of your basic entitlement, it is not POAL or lieu days, I believe you are entitled to use it before the end of March in this leave year.
peshwaarinaan
Posts: 381
Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
Gender: Female

My holiday entitlement

Post by peshwaarinaan »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:
peshwaarinaan wrote:I started in July and had an entitlement of 12 days (I do a 4 day week). I managed to book two weeks that I wanted but have to carry forward the remaining days as we have so many off sick AMD there are no gaps left.
But that remaining week is part of your basic entitlement, it is not POAL or lieu days, I believe you are entitled to use it before the end of March in this leave year.
That's what I thought but I've been told I can't have it as they can't cover it. Before Christmas the DOM announced that we were taking 8 new members of staff on but of course the job hasn't even been advertised yet. I'd rather take the leave than carry it forward.