ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
-
Krafty
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Recently had a new waterproof coat (short one) after the one I've been wearing for a number of years (the longer one) was on it's last legs.
I ask because the cords to tie the hood are too short.
I know they stretch, and once I have eventually made a knot, it's too tight round your face.
I ask because the cords to tie the hood are too short.
I know they stretch, and once I have eventually made a knot, it's too tight round your face.
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Yes,they are rigorously tested by office workers who found them ideal for getting from their cars to the office.
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Yes, and it kept the chill off them for the 90 seconds required to perform that function. Therefore they must surely be adequate for 5 hrs on delivery.
The coat is absurd. I bought my own a few years back. Expensive but worth the outlay in my opinion as the RM issue is not fit for purpose.
The coat is absurd. I bought my own a few years back. Expensive but worth the outlay in my opinion as the RM issue is not fit for purpose.
-
Pharox
- Posts: 151
- Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
-
DB1100
- Posts: 1976
- Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
I got a decent one from "Mountain Warehouse" quite cheap,100% waterproof but you do get a bit of condensation inside but not enough to mither about.Pharox wrote:What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
For we were soldiers once,and young
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Sorry I'm going to be lazy cos tea is nearly ready and just post a link to my wishlist, the coat I got is on there:
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=72297
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=72297
-
97gaz
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1023
- Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
A
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 16:07, edited 1 time in total.
-
Pharox
- Posts: 151
- Joined: 23 Jun 2011, 16:18
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
That's great, thanks :)wannabeek wrote:Sorry I'm going to be lazy cos tea is nearly ready and just post a link to my wishlist, the coat I got is on there:
http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... =1&t=72297
-
dtyssmshdchrb
- Posts: 51
- Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 14:55
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
And marvel at the design feature that lets you be whipped in the face by them any time the wind picks up!97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
-
meercat
- Posts: 814
- Joined: 21 Apr 2010, 16:15
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Silly question really. Royal Mail has been in operation for hundreds of years and has been sending people out in all weathers during that time. So OFCOURSE all outdoor issue weather-proofs are rigorously tested. Then tested again and again. Each time the uniform fails to keep water out for more than a few minutes....but that doesn't stop the testing.
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
If you wash the RM Stormproof with Nikwax Techwash and treat it with Nikwax spray it's as waterproof as anything else. The only bad thing about it is the tiny hood which seems to be size small regardless of what size your jacket is.
People who don't wash their waterproofs the grime on the surface allows the water to sit on the fabric and soak through, instead of running off like it should.
People who don't wash their waterproofs the grime on the surface allows the water to sit on the fabric and soak through, instead of running off like it should.
-
Krafty
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Perhaps they aren't supposed to be tied, but I couldn't work out what to do with them!97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
I can't work out what you are supposed to do with the cords
-
Krafty
- Posts: 88
- Joined: 13 Sep 2013, 14:27
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
The short thick waterproof.Pharox wrote:What coat did you get? Looking to get one myself as the RM 'stormproof' coat is not really that stormproof
The one it is replacing is longer, which I thought was better.
-
peshwaarinaan
- Posts: 381
- Joined: 29 May 2015, 11:35
- Gender: Female
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
Ooh that happens to me and it hurts like hell! I only got my coat in July and it's not waterproof. I have been drenched down to my underwear on several occasions. It's rubbish.dtyssmshdchrb wrote:And marvel at the design feature that lets you be whipped in the face by them any time the wind picks up!97gaz wrote:Are you sure it's supposed to be tied? The shorty coat I have has clamps on the cords. Slide them down until the hood is tight enough.
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Waterproof coat - Do they actually get tested?
If you use those products on any coat it will make it become waterproof. The point is that the RM stormproof is not waterproof when brand new. Yours is now only because you have waterproofed it yourself.norm wrote:If you wash the RM Stormproof with Nikwax Techwash and treat it with Nikwax spray it's as waterproof as anything else. The only bad thing about it is the tiny hood which seems to be size small regardless of what size your jacket is.
People who don't wash their waterproofs the grime on the surface allows the water to sit on the fabric and soak through, instead of running off like it should.
I used those products to waterproof a RM fleece once, which was quite useful until I got a proper waterproof coat.