ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

How does getting own walk work?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

Ive been in this job about 6 months now and like most of you i had to learn as i went.
One thing i have not found out about yet is how the signing of walks works.
I know im a long way from getting my own walk but im just interested to know how it works.
Many thanks
paul1231
Posts: 112
Joined: 10 Mar 2014, 22:20
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by paul1231 »

Simple every so often when they can be arsed they advertise the vacant duties and have a closing date of 2/3weeks later and you simply put in writing to the manager that you want to be considered for a certain round (can list more then one vacancy in preference) and if your the most senior that applies then its yours
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

How does getting own walk work?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

franco1 wrote:Ive been in this job about 6 months now and like most of you, I had to learn as I went.
One thing I have not found out about yet is how the signing of walks works.
I know im a long way from getting my own walk but im just interested to know how it works.
Many thanks
Simple really, when they are advertised on the notice board apply. If you are the most senior that has applied you get it.

Usually you'll only get the worst duties, but at least, you'll have an idea what you are doing on a daily basis.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

How does getting own walk work?

Post by k979aaa »

six bloody months this guy has not a clue. :chuckle
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

Thanks for info, "i havent a clue" because ive not asked and obviously RM training is practically non-existent.
At the moment i rest-day cover for three walks so i think ive done ok considering.
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by aiden01 »

k979aaa wrote:six bloody months this guy has not a clue. :chuckle
Good lord the guy is only asking a question :crazy:
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

How does getting own walk work?

Post by k979aaa »

You a right about the training but if you are part time you have a better chance of a duty than a full timer.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

I havent had much time to ask how things work - i had enough to think about at first what with prepping my walks from scratch and at working out how and where to park and loop, i go out on my own each day on the heaviest walks in the office, thankfully ive had some help from other posties who do the duty regarding where to park and loop.
It doesnt make a person any cleverer because you know something that they dont.
Last edited by franco1 on 08 Feb 2016, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

And i think you might be right in saying a part timer has more chance of a dut then a full timer, ive noticed that at my depot, they know indoor work will get less and if they can get a part timer to prep and complete in 7 paid hours then obviously its financially better for them.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by bustedflush »

franco1 wrote:Ive been in this job about 6 months now and like most of you i had to learn as i went.
One thing i have not found out about yet is how the signing of walks works.
I know im a long way from getting my own walk but im just interested to know how it works.
Many thanks
In a nutshell, you wait 2-3 decades until enough in front of you leave or retire.
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

How does getting own walk work?

Post by k979aaa »

bustedflush wrote:
franco1 wrote:Ive been in this job about 6 months now and like most of you i had to learn as i went.
One thing i have not found out about yet is how the signing of walks works.
I know im a long way from getting my own walk but im just interested to know how it works.
Many thanks
In a nutshell, you wait 2-3 decades until enough in front of you leave or retire.
The way your going their will not be any duties left.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

I understand but unfortunately I have to make money and these are the only options I have.
I agree there should not be pt taking ft jobs.
But will they make me ft?
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

How does getting own walk work?

Post by k979aaa »

franco1 wrote:I understand but unfortunately I have to make money and these are the only options I have.
I agree there should not be pt taking ft jobs.
But will they make me ft?
No one in our place has been made full-time for years and even then they had ten years in the job.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by bustedflush »

franco1 wrote:I understand but unfortunately I have to make money and these are the only options I have.
I agree there should not be pt taking ft jobs.
But will they make me ft?

I doubt it. Despite the BS 75/25% split FT-PT 'WFA' there are few new FT posts now, and when they do come up hours get trimmed off them down to say 35 or 32.5.

The only chance I see is if you continually work FT hours made up with OT then you can ask the contract be made-up after 6 months to reflect this re. (again) the 'WFA'.
franco1
Posts: 185
Joined: 25 Jun 2015, 16:55
Gender: Male

How does getting own walk work?

Post by franco1 »

Exactly the fault lies not in the employee who wants whatever hours are available regardless of wether it is fair to others or even the employer who wants to make money by cutting back, but with the union who pretend that they exist as an entity solely for the purpose of looking after the employee.
There are no mother teresas in the higher levels of any union.
It's a business and there businessmen