ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Working out holiday hours when leaving

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by jimmynailsalive »

Just trying to check I get the correct hours for once so can anyone confirm my numbers look okay?

1. I haven't been told my days next week but as working up to Thursday, I expect I'll be working Monday to Thursday. Can I take it my leaving date will be Saturday 26th December or am I likely to be paid up to 24th December and therefore should I insist on a day off?

2. If paid to Saturday that will be 270 days in a year of 366 days so if 4 weeks and 2.5 days I take it it'll be 270/366 x 22.5 days?

3. I purchased the extra 7.5 days so again I presume I will have 270/366 x 7.5 days?

4. Bank holidays, are there 8 bank holidays and are these calculated in the same way above or do you need to be employed at the time when the fall to benefit from them.


I carried over about 56 hours as well so would like to get everything confirmed Monday as the thought of chasing underpayment fills me with dread.

cheers folk.
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by feduppostie »

Just ring HR and tell them your finish date - if they are in a good mood they will work it out for you
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by jimmynailsalive »

feduppostie wrote:Just ring HR and tell them your finish date - if they are in a good mood they will work it out for you
Tried that there and no luck, couldn't have been in a good mood!

They sort of said as it's almost 9 months of the year then just use 3/4rds of entitlement and as buying extra up to six weeks, then should be due 4.5 weeks which will probably be near enough.

So that only leaves

1. Bank holiday - I'm guessing you only get them as they come round, as I'm leaving on Thursday and working Mon-Thursday this week and 2 bank holidays fall 25th & 26th, I've put 24th in my letter as last working day but I'm wanting paid for the full week and as 2 bank holidays I will be wanting an extra day in lieu, would this be correct?
feduppostie
Posts: 947
Joined: 24 Jun 2007, 19:46

Re: Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by feduppostie »

If your LDS is the 24th then that is your last day - it won't include the bank holidays
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

As I understand all of the Bank Holidays count as part of our statutory entitlement,and as we have only had 5 of the 8 days we are entitled to so far this leave year you might be entitled to 1 more days pay. But you'll need someone who understands the rules better than me to confirm this.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Working out holiday hours when leaving

Post by jimmynailsalive »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:As I understand all of the Bank Holidays count as part of our statutory entitlement,and as we have only had 5 of the 8 days we are entitled to so far this leave year you might be entitled to 1 more days pay. But you'll need someone who understands the rules better than me to confirm this.
feduppostie wrote:If your LDS is the 24th then that is your last day - it won't include the bank holidays
Cheers lads, think I'll go with the 8 days statutory entitlement and call it 6 due so that I've rounded everything slightly up in my favour and I'll go in and get it sorted out tomorrow morning. Got a few missing hours to add to it for the last couple of weeks that I have been underpaid so I've written it all down now and looks spot on subject to them clawing back the small percentage where it isn't quite bang on 3/4rds but that gives me a number now to go in with and hopefully get signed off as no chance I'm waiting to my last day to haggle over it. :whistle