ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Calling it a day

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Calling it a day

Post by frankieboy »

Well after being flat out for the last few weeks I,ve decided that my body can no longer take it. I,ve had back and hip problems for some time now and can only get through a shift now by taking high strengh pain killers. I,m 53 with only 9 years service on 30 hour contract but I don,t want to just hand my notice in and leave. What options are open to me on becoming a 'good leaver'. I,m seeing my doctor soon as I cannot carry on popping the pills just to do a job.
Judgee
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2262
Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18

Re: Calling it a day

Post by Judgee »

Ill health retirement would probably be your best bet. :hmmmm
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by halfull »

frankieboy wrote:Well after being flat out for the last few weeks I,ve decided that my body can no longer take it. I,ve had back and hip problems for some time now and can only get through a shift now by taking high strengh pain killers. I,m 53 with only 9 years service on 30 hour contract but I don,t want to just hand my notice in and leave. What options are open to me on becoming a 'good leaver'. I,m seeing my doctor soon as I cannot carry on popping the pills just to do a job.
this is yet another sad case of what the job is doing to people, the royal mail are a complete disgrace for the workload they are putting on human being's.
And to think they want to make it even worse by extending deliveries by another 2-3 hours is just mind blowing! I sure hope the cwu take their heads out of the sand & start taking note of whats going on in the real world! ive said it before & ill say it again, if the cwu doesnt push the royal mail on the CURRENT workload & none use of methods let alone more outdoor work there will be NO cwu at all!
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by datasaint »

Long term use of painkillers will knacker your liver and make any mechanical problems you have with joints worse. It's like driving a car with flat tyres with the radio on full blast to drown out the noise, eventually the wheels will stop turning.
simply_the_best
Posts: 594
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 10:29

Re: Calling it a day

Post by simply_the_best »

What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
frankieboy
Posts: 303
Joined: 12 May 2008, 18:34

Re: Calling it a day

Post by frankieboy »

simply_the_best wrote:What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
That's the painkillers I,m on too, when I,ve not taken them for a day or two I certainly know about it, that's why I,m seeing the doctor. I,m becoming more reliant on them to get through the day.
toomuchcoke
Posts: 309
Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by toomuchcoke »

simply_the_best wrote:What painkillers?


I'm regularly using 30/500mg Co-Codomol for my foot, over 18 month now.
Co-Codomol isn't suppose to be used for long periods. You're risking addiction to codeine.
NWpostie
Posts: 3620
Joined: 04 Aug 2007, 17:32
Gender: Male
Location: Sector 001 Borg Collective, 6 o f 9

Re: Calling it a day

Post by NWpostie »

You could make enquiries about EVR or at a last resort IHR, since you're 53 you could opt for VR and claim your pension early at 55, but do speak to the Union before you make any life changing decisions of this magnitude.

You could go sick for 6 months at full pay while considering your options but this will be on your record.

Speak to the Rep first before making any irreversible decisions.
Six of Nine loves Seven of Nine, together in Electric Dreams.
Chelseablue
Posts: 2222
Joined: 19 Aug 2013, 14:33
Gender: Female

Re: Calling it a day

Post by Chelseablue »

We've senior guys me included all patched up, supports, heat patches, bandages etc , it's really sad how this once great company is heading . How the hell can we do this job till retirement age!
Scotland1
Posts: 180
Joined: 06 Sep 2013, 16:17
Gender: Female

Re: Calling it a day

Post by Scotland1 »

We can't do this till we retire I'm only 44 with 16 years service and even I would evr if offered, take 6 months off and u should be offered ihr if ur Dom gets atos on board but that's only my opinion mind, watch what ur doing
5plusbonusball
Posts: 1136
Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 20:50
Gender: Male
Location: up north of watford

Re: Calling it a day

Post by 5plusbonusball »

some guys here have won £1000's through Simpson Miller? the no win no fee cwu lawyers, i'm thinking about doing it soon, if we all claim maybe rm will ease off us?
Why are lino's paid full-time ??
DirtyHarry
Posts: 5051
Joined: 13 May 2007, 23:16
Gender: Male
Location: London

Re: Calling it a day

Post by DirtyHarry »

Where the hell is the CWU while this is going on?
No way should colleagues be invalided out of this job. Any job.
Workloads are having a detrimental effect on the overall health of postal workers, with problems being more acute in deliveries.
If the CWU cannot get to grips with what is now becoming a national scandal, then what the f**k use are they? I mean, really?
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by halfull »

DirtyHarry wrote:Where the hell is the CWU while this is going on?
No way should colleagues be invalided out of this job. Any job.
Workloads are having a detrimental effect on the overall health of postal workers, with problems being more acute in deliveries.
If the CWU cannot get to grips with what is now becoming a national scandal, then what the f**k use are they? I mean, really?
too true my friend too true. :Applause
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by dvbuk55 »

Well they won't be reading these posts they probably packed it in yesterday for a fortnight to recover from the endless tea and biscuits.
fishtank
Posts: 19732
Joined: 28 Sep 2007, 17:22
Gender: Male

Re: Calling it a day

Post by fishtank »

DirtyHarry wrote:Where the hell is the CWU while this is going on?
Discussing ways of convincing the members on delivery that increasing delivery spans yet again will protect full-time jobs.
Happy Christmas Harry, Don't forget to ask Santa for a mobility scooter.
good times, bad times you know I've had my share