ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Probation period - off sick?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
camelelf
Posts: 64
Joined: 17 Oct 2015, 18:15
Gender: Male

Probation period - off sick?

Post by camelelf »

I started with RM seven weeks ago and two weeks I ago I felt some pain in my foot. Thinking it was nothing I kept taking paracetamol and naproxen and got on with it. It wasn't easing and I noticed some swelling on my foot so I went to my doctor last Friday and he booked me in for an emergency X-ray that evening. This all started once I was given RM CAT Boots. I carried on working with the pain but in my own boots until yesterday when I got my X-ray results in the evening and I have a stress fracture on my fourth metatarsal in my left foot. I went to the hospital and got given a foot cast. I've been told to expect 2-4 weeks out of doing a full walk, but I can 'potter around'.

How will this impact my six months probation? I didn't go off sick earlier for this reason but obviously my health is more important now and it's not like I've just got a cold or something. Will I need to get a sick note? I've never been sick of work before so no idea what the procedure is.

I managed to contact one of the managers last night and was told I'd be contacted this morning but not heard a thing.

Couldn't have come at a worse time as I'd been put up to full time over Xmas and wanted to make the most out of it but hey. :cry
pinstripe
Posts: 2474
Joined: 25 May 2007, 16:42
Gender: Male
Location: 2 left turns from reality

Re: Probation period - off sick?

Post by pinstripe »

First thing is to get a 'fit note' from your GP. That'll say what you can do. Obviously you don't want to be off work as you won't get sick pay if you've only been here 7 weeks, though I'm sure someone will clarify what you would get. If you want to work, and you feel that you can do so, speak to your manager and see if he'll let you do indoor work, but this all depends on what your GP puts on the 'fit note'.

'Fit Note' is what they now call the old Sick Note.
ScousePostie
Posts: 273
Joined: 29 Jan 2015, 12:26
Gender: Male

Re: Probation period - off sick?

Post by ScousePostie »

Make sure you see your GP and get a fit note as said above. This will set out whether your GP advised that you are not fit for work at all or whether they think you'd be able to work with your duties amended.

When I was off work with broken arm during my 6 month trial period, Royal Mail automatically moved my pay to the Government Statutory Sick Pay; https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.