ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Missed hours due to floods

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Missed hours due to floods

Post by Reallywheelie »

Hello, I missed work on Saturday because of the weather (severe flooding). I was told that because I was paid for Saturday that I would have to make up the lost hours. Is this correct? and if yes, can anyone provide me with the document that states this 'rule'. Many thanks in advance.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

You don't have to make up the hours, though conversely royal mail don't need to pay you for them either and can count the absence on the attendance procedure
aiden01
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 7001
Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by aiden01 »

Reallywheelie wrote:Hello, I missed work on Saturday because of the weather (severe flooding). I was told that because I was paid for Saturday that I would have to make up the lost hours. Is this correct? and if yes, can anyone provide me with the document that states this 'rule'. Many thanks in advance.
more than likely they will take a day off your annual leave not your fault weather is so bad but hey ho we work for rm
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

May not help now but check out the Severe weather brief (last post) on this thread http://www.royalmailchat.co.uk/communit ... 95#p421244" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Flooding is after all severe weather.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
dwob
Posts: 4
Joined: 31 Mar 2010, 12:44
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by dwob »

This happened to me a couple of years ago, they took it off my annual leave despite the fact I was up early trying to find a route of of the village and nearly got stranded!
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by rambo1 »

dwob wrote:This happened to me a couple of years ago, they took it off my annual leave despite the fact I was up early trying to find a route of of the village and nearly got stranded!
They should give you a choice of no pay, or take it off your annual leave, or maybe work your day off next week in lieu of it.
Reallywheelie
Posts: 14
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 09:32
Gender: Female

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by Reallywheelie »

Thanks all. It's December so I'm already working every day! But I was asked to work extra hours on Monday. I didn't know my options so I agreed - and admittedly we did successfully clear our backlog of mail in one day. But you're right, it's not worth taking crazy risks to try and get to work in severe weather. Lesson learnt.
Brainache
Posts: 394
Joined: 30 Jul 2010, 21:37
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by Brainache »

You can report for duty at another office if you can get there.
DiamondSmiles
Posts: 498
Joined: 05 Feb 2009, 20:03
Gender: Male

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by DiamondSmiles »

Shame you didn't have a boat, then you could have paddled and looped......sorry :wink:
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Missed hours due to floods

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Image
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.