ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Sick pay entitlement

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Sick pay entitlement

Post by richiebroon »

Are you entitled to full sick pay after 12 months service if you are fixed term? I've just recently been made permanent and have 12 and a half months service and I've been off sick with a doctors line for a week since Monday. and ive just got this horrible horrible feeling that I'm not going to be paid tomorrow and there was no payslip for me in the office
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Sick pay entitlement

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Check you contract to make sure but yes I am 99.9% sure that it doesn't matter what kind of contract (excepting casuals) you have once you have done 12 months then you get paid when off sick.

But as the dates are so tight it may be possible that they won't pay you, but should do so once they have sorted it.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay entitlement

Post by bustedflush »

richiebroon wrote:Are you entitled to full sick pay after 12 months service if you are fixed term? I've just recently been made permanent and have 12 and a half months service and I've been off sick with a doctors line for a week since Monday. and ive just got this horrible horrible feeling that I'm not going to be paid tomorrow and there was no payslip for me in the office
The RM payroll computer has your original date of employment and therefore if you are entered for any sick time you are automatically paid basic wage - all sickness is presumed genuine and managers cannot void it unless there are certain failures on your part with procedures. It is irrelevant whether you have had 3 x 4 month contracts or 2 x 6 then made permanent as long as it's continuous. If you sickness was entered even 24 hours after your 12-month anniversary of employment they system should pay you.
You don't even have to be permanent - if you were in your third 6-month FTC you would still be paid.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay entitlement

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Good Job it's not like my Missus firm. Sick Pay is paid at the discretion of the manager! :shock: We'd never get anything unless we turned up Dead! :whistle
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Sick pay entitlement

Post by jimmynailsalive »

richiebroon wrote:Are you entitled to full sick pay after 12 months service if you are fixed term? I've just recently been made permanent and have 12 and a half months service and I've been off sick with a doctors line for a week since Monday. and ive just got this horrible horrible feeling that I'm not going to be paid tomorrow and there was no payslip for me in the office
Think there was a problem getting payslips out today, I never got mine.