ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
I was issued these boots as part of a trial and have been wearing them for the last 4 months or so.
As you'd expect with Dr Martens the quality is really good, the boot is a mixed construction of materials;
- leather for the main areas which conforms really nicely to your foot, but is also surprisingly water proof
- a mesh type area around the sides which gives it great flexibility and aids breath-ability (far better than the old Dr Martens boots)
- a grey spongy bit as the footbed which really helps absorb the shocks of walking on pavements/concrete, way better than the YDS shoes.
- an insanely deep tread on the sole which extends the life of the boot but gives a high level of grip also.
At first I found the boots a bit tight, but they didn't need any of the traditional breaking in, I had no blisters with them, and with prolonged use they've only got better. I've found even after being on my feet for 10-11hrs the fatigue in my feet is far less which I reckon is due the impact absorbing sole and the fact they feel light on your feet.
I sent feedback form to Dimensions shortly after getting them, but I don't know what the situation is with them rolling them out to everybody, I hope by the time these ones wear out I can order them again.
As you'd expect with Dr Martens the quality is really good, the boot is a mixed construction of materials;
- leather for the main areas which conforms really nicely to your foot, but is also surprisingly water proof
- a mesh type area around the sides which gives it great flexibility and aids breath-ability (far better than the old Dr Martens boots)
- a grey spongy bit as the footbed which really helps absorb the shocks of walking on pavements/concrete, way better than the YDS shoes.
- an insanely deep tread on the sole which extends the life of the boot but gives a high level of grip also.
At first I found the boots a bit tight, but they didn't need any of the traditional breaking in, I had no blisters with them, and with prolonged use they've only got better. I've found even after being on my feet for 10-11hrs the fatigue in my feet is far less which I reckon is due the impact absorbing sole and the fact they feel light on your feet.
I sent feedback form to Dimensions shortly after getting them, but I don't know what the situation is with them rolling them out to everybody, I hope by the time these ones wear out I can order them again.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
doorstepped
- Posts: 1063
- Joined: 10 Oct 2011, 23:17
- Gender: Male
- Location: Somewhere west of London
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
looks like finally RM are paying for some decent workable footwear.
just got to wait a couple of years now until all the YDS / Anvils have gone out of stock
just got to wait a couple of years now until all the YDS / Anvils have gone out of stock
-
mancpat
- Posts: 85
- Joined: 09 Feb 2010, 12:36
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
They look heavy. I always avoid the boots for that reason.
-
jimmynailsalive
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 305
- Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
Just never ever touch the DM shoes, I've been jumping on them and sitting flexing the uppers and they still cut into your heel after two loops and can't for the life of me break them in don't get me started on the Magnum boots!
-
wannabeek
- Posts: 996
- Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
I love the old DM boots. Took forever to break in but now I finally have, they're the best I've ever had. Are these trial ones ones better in your opinion than the old DM boots?
-
datasaint
- Posts: 1541
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
Yeah in pretty much every aspect. In my experience the old DM boots took ages to break in, they leaked badly even with copious amounts of dubbin. The collar at the back was too stiff on them which rubbed my achilles and the tread was too soft meaning they wore out prematurely long before the rest of the boot.wannabeek wrote:I love the old DM boots. Took forever to break in but now I finally have, they're the best I've ever had. Are these trial ones ones better in your opinion than the old DM boots?
These new boots feel durable but comfortable which is a great balance.
-
rhino49
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1644
- Joined: 04 Jun 2007, 21:50
- Gender: Male
- Location: At home with my feet up
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
Doc Martens boots require a bit of patience and ideally should be worn for short periods at first, increasing as they mould to your foot - they repay the patience by ending up feeling like slippers after a couple of months and are far better than anything else on offer from RM. If you want your kit to work for you, then you have to look after it - seen far too many guys wearing boots that have never been cleaned or waxed and that DOES make a difference to performance.
We wish to serve - but we will not be servile
-
greengiant
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 1268
- Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
Hopefully they'll last longer than the anvil tractions / yds trainers. I tend to get a whole 12 weeks out of mine, then the outer edge of the heels is worn to nothing! 
-
P739
- Posts: 277
- Joined: 20 Sep 2007, 13:48
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
You would think a decent pair of waterproof shoes or boots would be a priority not some of the crap we have to endure at present 
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
They look like they'll do the job.
I get on OK with the YDS Trainers, but as previously mentioned, I find they wear out too quickly.
I'm surprised at how water resistant they are..... a novel experience for RM Footwear! 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
halfull
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 858
- Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
they look heavy, no thanks.
-
answer=42
- Posts: 64
- Joined: 16 Jun 2012, 07:44
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
They aren't heavy, they are suprisingly light. Took no wearing in, comfy and kind of springy to walk in I love 'em.
No comparison with the old doc marts, the ones I had cut the top of my foot and I could never break them in.
These are completely different but I thought the tread would last forever because it was so deep. I still wore the heel out at about the same rate as any other pair of anything I've had. I always end up with tread left on the sole and a worn out heel.
Light, waterproof, breathable, comfortable right out of the box.
Don't suppose they'll actually end up as standard issue then!
No comparison with the old doc marts, the ones I had cut the top of my foot and I could never break them in.
These are completely different but I thought the tread would last forever because it was so deep. I still wore the heel out at about the same rate as any other pair of anything I've had. I always end up with tread left on the sole and a worn out heel.
Light, waterproof, breathable, comfortable right out of the box.
Don't suppose they'll actually end up as standard issue then!
-
Anonymouse
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 174
- Joined: 02 Jun 2012, 22:20
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
These look good.
Just got a new pair of anvils in and dreading the breaking in pain. Was hoping my current pair would last over the busy period but the tread is really worn.
Just got a new pair of anvils in and dreading the breaking in pain. Was hoping my current pair would last over the busy period but the tread is really worn.
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
A lot of Posties seem to have problems with either the inside, or outside ,of the heel wearing very quickly. Mine normally have plenty of tread left ,apart from the outer heel, which is by definition were I need it most! You'd think some designer would put some tough "Horseshoe" shaped material around the heel? 
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
NewPostieUK
- Posts: 2104
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
- Gender: Male
- Location: SickAsAChipLand
Re: RM Dr Martens Tred Boots
I find that, but I'll take that any day when they are as good as they are in the wet, ie not at all slippy. This is the biggest thing for me in work footwear, they all seem to be slippy except for the Doc's. Magnums and Cat trainers are downright dangerous.norm wrote:wannabeek wrote: the tread was too soft meaning they wore out prematurely long before the rest of the boot.