ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by 19times »

Anybody know?

I have just been pulled on this, apparently one day last week a Special was not scanned but a P739 card was left by some one - not sure If it was me as I honestly don't remember writing one out for that address,

Customer has collected the item from the office since then however the lino would like to know what happened with one saying you may get the bulllet :sad:

I asked to see the P739 card but it has been thrown away :roll:
vanman90
Posts: 147
Joined: 01 Apr 2014, 21:12
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by vanman90 »

No only get sacked if you lost it.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by 19times »

vanman90 wrote:No only get sacked if you lost it.
Thanks, I didn't really think it was just the other lino being a idiot for saying that that got me thinking.

I forgot to mention, could it go down as unscanned If it was scanned on my Partners PDA? ie different duty PDA?
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

Its not intentional delay of mail, and its not gross misconduct, at worst its failure to follow procedure or unexcused delay neither of which is sacking offence unless your disciplinary record is poor.

Slap on the wrist and don't do it again or we'll make it official would be a reasonable outcome.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by 19times »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its not intentional delay of mail, and its not gross misconduct, at worst its failure to follow procedure or unexcused delay neither of which is sacking offence unless your disciplinary record is poor.

Slap on the wrist and don't do it again or we'll make it official would be a reasonable outcome.
Cheers TBT, got a good record no danger there.

[quote="19times"
I forgot to mention, could it go down as unscanned If it was scanned on my Partners PDA? ie different duty PDA?[/quote]

Any thoughts on this? I am just trying to work it out as it's all very odd seeing as I am extra careful with Specials.
jimmynailsalive
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 305
Joined: 28 Dec 2013, 13:36
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by jimmynailsalive »

I 739'd the wrong house a few weeks ago for one!

My first time on a walk and was doing the driving and thought all the houses on the loop were xxxxx Terrace but turns out some are xxxxx Avenue so because I delivered the special early I went to the wrong house! Was probably my 10th different walk in 15 days but no long to go now. :nana
spen
Posts: 531
Joined: 18 Jan 2011, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by spen »

19times wrote:
TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Its not intentional delay of mail, and its not gross misconduct, at worst its failure to follow procedure or unexcused delay neither of which is sacking offence unless your disciplinary record is poor.

Slap on the wrist and don't do it again or we'll make it official would be a reasonable outcome.
Cheers TBT, got a good record no danger there.

[quote="19times"
I forgot to mention, could it go down as unscanned If it was scanned on my Partners PDA? ie different duty PDA?
Any thoughts on this? I am just trying to work it out as it's all very odd seeing as I am extra careful with Specials.[/quote]


Doesn't matter whose pda it is scanned on, as long as it Is scanned on someones
Postie45
Posts: 2160
Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 23:05
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by Postie45 »

19times wrote:Anybody know?

I have just been pulled on this, apparently one day last week a Special was not scanned but a P739 card was left by some one - not sure If it was me as I honestly don't remember writing one out for that address,

Customer has collected the item from the office since then however the lino would like to know what happened with one saying you may get the bulllet :sad:

I asked to see the P739 card but it has been thrown away :roll:
I cant talk in absolute terms, but I see no way youd get sacked for this, if it was you who didnt scan it then you simply made a mistake that maybe hit the quality of service figures a tiny bit but there was no long term harm. Even if you lose a special I dont believe youd get sacked (if its a one off) unless it was because you lost it while not following normal procedures, such as it got lost when you left it somewhere "safe" and signed for it yourself or something like that.
dvbuk55
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 16650
Joined: 02 Jun 2007, 19:17
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by dvbuk55 »

I'm not sure if it can be pulled out through blackbay but if possible it would show to which duty the special had been allocated on that day. The manager should have the SD number if it was a complaint and that number could be checked via the audit trail which would also show to which duty it had been allocated to what time it was allocated and who and when it was signed for.
Don't sweat it.
19times
Posts: 339
Joined: 11 Aug 2011, 13:36
Gender: Female

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by 19times »

Thanks all, I think it could have been my Partner who attempted the delivery in the Van as I left a few big parcels for that road but without the P739 card I can't say for sure, I'll ask him and see If he remembers but I doubt he will.
loserx1
Posts: 15
Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 08:45

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by loserx1 »

The people have collected the item so there should be no problem and you shouldn't give it another thought, in over 20 years i cant remember 1 person being sacked for making a mistake. I would think we've all done something wrong when we are on auto-pilot or get distracted by somebody.

Our mistakes are put on a whiteboard everyday - not scanned tracked/specials, missed postbox scans with our walk numbers against them. There is a least 1 or 2 missed everyday.
User avatar
POSTMAN
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 32794
Joined: 07 Aug 2006, 03:19
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by POSTMAN »

loserx1 wrote:
Our mistakes are put on a whiteboard everyday - not scanned tracked/specials, missed postbox scans with our walk numbers against them. There is a least 1 or 2 missed everyday.
Get your rep to stop this bollox practice from happening!
I Wrote-During Covid-Which is still relevant now
It's good to get these types of threads, the ridiculous my manager said bollox, so we can reassure ourselves that while the world is falling apart, Royal Mail managers are still being the low-life C***S they have always been.
My BFF Clash
The daily grind of having to argue your case with an intellectual pigmy of a line manager is physically and emotionally draining.
Pompey Boy
Posts: 428
Joined: 14 Jul 2009, 22:30
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by Pompey Boy »

At our place there have been calls for you missing a post box/PO/customer scan to be a conduct code issue. More often than not guvnors will ask you to go back out and scan the code or get someone else to do it - we think their bonus must have something to do with the ABC performance.
How much worse can it get? A LOT F****** WORSE !!!
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by dave72 »

Happened to me and my partner a few weeks ago, it was one of those international ones they pick at random to go through the specials though

It had the address on both sides of the packet, my partner read the side without the barcode and handed it over.

Next day, DOM asking where it is as it wasn't showing up as scanned as delivered on the system :arrrghhh
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Special Not Scanned, Sackable Offence?

Post by dave72 »

loserx1 wrote:
Our mistakes are put on a whiteboard everyday - not scanned tracked/specials, missed postbox scans with our walk numbers against them. There is a least 1 or 2 missed everyday.
Like a wall of shame? Surely this is bullying or harassment :shock: