ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Anyone worked their week off?

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Anyone worked their week off?

Post by hewittinspain »

I have next week off, i'm not really strapped for cash but my basic 25hrs will give me about £220 holiday money in my wage after tax,poal,pension etc. I have a chance of working in another office 20 miles away on my week off which they do pay me £18 a day just in fuel (that is always agreed each time i'm sent there) so a full week would give me a further £400 after tax on top of my holiday pay making my wage from £220 to £620. It's very tempting but my next week off (if I don't take this one) would be January and we have a hard xmas coming up.
Anyone been tempted to work their week off to get a really good wage or do you think time off is more important.?? :roll:
By the way my last week off was only a fortnight ago.
Darren Bent
Posts: 2150
Joined: 05 Oct 2007, 15:38
Gender: Male
Location: Pride Park, Derby, DE24 8XL

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by Darren Bent »

if it is a floating week off (one you get every 6 weeks) then it is ok to do this but if you work on your week off from annual leave then it is a no no no. If you work your floating week off and then it means no break for 11 weeks (apart from Sundays and annual leave).
hewittinspain
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 266
Joined: 20 May 2013, 21:24
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by hewittinspain »

Unfortunately im a reserve so I never get a long weekend anyhow, ever!! Our office doesnt have floating weeks off, only a friday/monday every 4 weeks
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by datasaint »

Basically if your manager okays it then do it. Your DOM is the one that pays your hours ultimately.
alliasjay
Posts: 39
Joined: 19 Mar 2012, 10:14
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by alliasjay »

£620 does sound nice for a week, but yeah no more breaks for a few months.. damn this xmas will be a killer i reckon. Altho just work to your time and it shouldnt be too bad tbh. toss of the old coin maybe? ;)
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

Just to make you aware it is against national agreements to work annual leave, it's not against the law unless you are being forced to do it though
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by motherhubbard »

zx135 wrote:Just to make you aware it is against national agreements to work annual leave, it's not against the law unless you are being forced to do it though
I thought national agreements were legally binding now?
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

motherhubbard wrote:
zx135 wrote:Just to make you aware it is against national agreements to work annual leave, it's not against the law unless you are being forced to do it though
I thought national agreements were legally binding now?
They may well be but it's not illegal to go against them, yes it breaks the agreement but that agreement is not an actual law
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by Dorset Plodder »

Totally up to you, and how you feel about it. I'd be the last person to stop someone from earning some extra cash, especially as you're only part time. Doubt if anyone's been fighting your corner to try and get you a better contract? :hmmmm

It's going to be a hard Christmas but if you don't feel the need for a break go for it! :thumbup
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
TrueBlueTerrier
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Posts: 72727
Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
Gender: Male
Location: On my couch

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by TrueBlueTerrier »

zx135 wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:
zx135 wrote:Just to make you aware it is against national agreements to work annual leave, it's not against the law unless you are being forced to do it though
I thought national agreements were legally binding now?
They may well be but it's not illegal to go against them, yes it breaks the agreement but that agreement is not an actual law

Actually I thought just the AFG one was legally binding on both parties, the others are just contractural. But I may be wrong.
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by motherhubbard »

TrueBlueTerrier wrote:
zx135 wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:
zx135 wrote:Just to make you aware it is against national agreements to work annual leave, it's not against the law unless you are being forced to do it though
I thought national agreements were legally binding now?
They may well be but it's not illegal to go against them, yes it breaks the agreement but that agreement is not an actual law

Actually I thought just the AFG one was legally binding on both parties, the others are just contractural. But I may be wrong.
I thought AFG was legally binding and since it builds on existing agreements, I thought they were legally binding now as well.
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
daveyeff
Posts: 4699
Joined: 12 Mar 2010, 19:38
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by daveyeff »

people (selected ones) work their annual leave in ours on a very regular basis
DB1100
Posts: 1976
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 14:30

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by DB1100 »

If I really needed the money I would,say for an unexpected bill but otherwise time off wins all the time for me.
For we were soldiers once,and young
k979aaa
Posts: 12578
Joined: 03 Sep 2007, 19:14
Gender: Male
Location: THE NORTH

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by k979aaa »

NO
97gaz
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1023
Joined: 17 Dec 2008, 10:15
Gender: Male

Re: Anyone worked their week off?

Post by 97gaz »

H
Last edited by 97gaz on 15 Dec 2019, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.