ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
halfull
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 858
Joined: 22 Jan 2011, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by halfull »

i can see alot of people refusing to drive if this stresses them out.
If your driving stressed aren't you more likely to have an accident?
rural1
Posts: 2
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 19:53
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by rural1 »

I had this fitted in my van a few days ago and it's driving me mad ! It doesn't matter how well you drive, it bleeps and turns on the orange light for no apparent reason :shock:

The data it collects will be next to useless, so another monumental waste of money :Applause
chambo87
Posts: 2
Joined: 16 Jul 2009, 20:15
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by chambo87 »

I've drove as carefully as possible and it keeps going orange. Impossible to stay green all day. If anyone does post it on here.
Lamby06
Posts: 9
Joined: 27 Aug 2015, 18:35
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by Lamby06 »

Just do what I do and turn the radio up louder so you can't hear it. Must be some knock-off pile of crap bought on the cheap. It hates the mini roundabout outside our office no matter how slow you go round it. It doesn't like braking either. Oh and if the afternoon driver has used my van and the light is at red the following morning I can drive like an old granny for ages before it goes to amber.
masterblaster
Posts: 285
Joined: 10 Sep 2010, 20:12
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by masterblaster »

What's this light then, where is it? Can't you stick something over it?
paranoid-android
Posts: 106
Joined: 24 Feb 2010, 09:17
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by paranoid-android »

Looking at the spec of the Trimble tdi100, you need to be concerned more if rm start using all of its capabilitys.the promotional videos plug its ability to report you on the spot for posted speed violations( to a manager) and can be used for effective rout planning. Bad news if your a runner or have 5 mins spare on your delivery
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by greengiant »

paranoid-android wrote:Looking at the spec of the Trimble tdi100, you need to be concerned more if rm start using all of its capabilitys.the promotional videos plug its ability to report you on the spot for posted speed violations( to a manager) and can be used for effective rout planning. Bad news if your a runner or have 5 mins spare on your delivery
Maybe not a bad thing. I've been in a van with drivers who like driving more than a shade over the legal limit in towns not to mention wheel spinning acceleration so that they can "make time"
datasaint
Posts: 1541
Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 17:19
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by datasaint »

I think these trackers are part of a wider initiative to bring DPD style tracking to Royal Mail.
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by bustedflush »

I can see this piece of crap causing accidents by distraction. As if it's not enough to have Sweaty Betty reminding me to apply the handbrake when I've already put it on and am already out the door, now I have this b*st*rd relentlessly beeping every time I touch the throttle, brake or take a tight bend/roundabout.
It's got so annoying I am getting revenge by driving one gear lower than I should to see how long I can keep it on orange, and braking later etc. I actually drove out to a job deliberately driving as though I were taking my driving test and it still went off several times. WHY OH WHY??
CAMPINGBLUNDERER
Posts: 182
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 14:37
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by CAMPINGBLUNDERER »

the problem is that this little box cannot asses the road conditions or type of road you are driving on.

I can see it throwing a fit on deep rural duties , you know the ones that feel like you are driving across a battlefield in first or maybe second gear just so you can actually get to that Farmhouse.

I will love to ask my Dom if they could come out with me and show me how to drive within the limits that RM want me too , give it a couple of weeks and they will give up .

One of the vans in a nearby office has had forward " reverse " sensors fitted , they really love queuing in traffic ...... So beeping from the front , beeping from the rear and soon to be beeping and disco lights inside and when you finally stop to actually deliver some mail , voices from beyond the grave telling you about a handbrake.

I wonder what " driver aid " will be next ...... Ear defenders ?
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by dave72 »

My van doesn't have one, yet

The other van at our office does

:hmmmm
newboy23

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by newboy23 »

Can you refuse to drive ?
DaveF14
Posts: 184
Joined: 18 Sep 2009, 17:38
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by DaveF14 »

Just back from a weeks holiday to find one in my van. No mention from the manager to me about how it works etc. That pissed me off!!
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12191
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by SpacePhoenix »

I wouldn't be surprised to see cameras installed in all RM and PF vehicles at some point
BeamishStout
Posts: 387
Joined: 19 Sep 2012, 14:42
Gender: Male

Re: New BLEEPING tracker BLEEPING box in BLEEPING vans

Post by BeamishStout »

I've no problem with the lights - they can be ignored (and hidden if need be) but the audible bleep is just downright IRRITATING. I drove a spare van (fitted with one) today and can fully empathise with the majority of the posters here. Yes this thing is the same as http://trl.trimble.com/docushare/dsweb/ ... 0Sheet.pdf.

The specs state
An audible alert (optional) provides real-time feedback when harsh maneuvers are detected by the system
Why make it compulsory?

I know not what their definition of a harsh manoeuvre is and await with baited breath the usual drivel coming forth. :evil/mad

Another thing I have just noticed is that without any iButton ID fob inserted (in the driver ID bay) RM have no means of identifying the individual driving the van and
allowing dispatchers to see where drivers and their vehicles are on the map
So as things stand the devices we have fitted in our vehicles have no specific reporting capability, are downright irritating and a distraction we can do without - rant over :thumbup