ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

personal matter...

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

personal matter...

Post by chillout1571 »

Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by sjnb6 »

use the cut off procedure
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by chillout1571 »

sjnb6 wrote:use the cut off procedure
Sorry still new to RM lingo. What's the cut off procedure?
motherhubbard
Posts: 1001
Joined: 08 Feb 2010, 17:13
Gender: Female
Location: in the cupboard

Re: personal matter...

Post by motherhubbard »

If your contracted hours finish at 2.30 then so do you.
Overtime is not compulsory

If you were feeling generous you could offer to do that 30 minute flex thing where you start 30 minutes early to finish 30 minutes early.

If your sister has a recognised disability, then they have to treat you as though you have the disability or it is called discrimination by association I think.

If you’re looking after someone who is elderly or disabled, the law will protect you against direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities. This is because you’re counted as being ‘associated’ with someone who is protected by the law because of their age or disability. You’re already protected from discrimination and harassment if they happen at work, but the new law will also protect you, if you are caring for a disabled person:
Never let the hand you hold, hold you down.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by chillout1571 »

motherhubbard wrote:If your contracted hours finish at 2.30 then so do you.
Overtime is not compulsory

If you were feeling generous you could offer to do that 30 minute flex thing where you start 30 minutes early to finish 30 minutes early.

If your sister has a recognised disability, then they have to treat you as though you have the disability or it is called discrimination by association I think.

If you’re looking after someone who is elderly or disabled, the law will protect you against direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities. This is because you’re counted as being ‘associated’ with someone who is protected by the law because of their age or disability. You’re already protected from discrimination and harassment if they happen at work, but the new law will also protect you, if you are caring for a disabled person:

Brilliant, thank you for the info. I shall inform my manager on Wednesday when I'm next in. It's a bit awkward as we work in pairs, he has a different finish time to me as he's full time. Does this have any affect?
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by Creditshampoo »

chillout1571 wrote:
motherhubbard wrote:If your contracted hours finish at 2.30 then so do you.
Overtime is not compulsory

If you were feeling generous you could offer to do that 30 minute flex thing where you start 30 minutes early to finish 30 minutes early.

If your sister has a recognised disability, then they have to treat you as though you have the disability or it is called discrimination by association I think.

If you’re looking after someone who is elderly or disabled, the law will protect you against direct discrimination or harassment because of your caring responsibilities. This is because you’re counted as being ‘associated’ with someone who is protected by the law because of their age or disability. You’re already protected from discrimination and harassment if they happen at work, but the new law will also protect you, if you are caring for a disabled person:
I did the same the other week. Tell them in the morning so if need be they can sort another driver.

Brilliant, thank you for the info. I shall inform my manager on Wednesday when I'm next in. It's a bit awkward as we work in pairs, he has a different finish time to me as he's full time. Does this have any affect?
Kings Norton
Posts: 320
Joined: 20 Nov 2012, 17:20
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by Kings Norton »

chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah
You covered under the equality disability act they have to give you the day off or let you go early. Tell your manager that also your rep...
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by PHARRY »

chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah

Where's mum or dad ?
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: personal matter...

Post by salomon »

Do you have a voluntary hospital driving scheme for appointments, I think you probably have as linked to most hospitals/areas. You could meet them at the hospital.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by chillout1571 »

PHARRY wrote:
chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah

Where's mum or dad ?


My dad lives in the middle east and my mum is visiting him for two weeks.
chillout1571
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 82
Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by chillout1571 »

salomon wrote:Do you have a voluntary hospital driving scheme for appointments, I think you probably have as linked to most hospitals/areas. You could meet them at the hospital.

No nothing like that, it's just a cardiology appointment. However she shouldn't have to miss it due to my working circumstances. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. However everything at RM seems to be a bit of a mission to sort out!Haha.
terry2972
Posts: 482
Joined: 17 Jan 2014, 15:26
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by terry2972 »

Just make sure you are back for say14.10 so you can empty the van ask your local union rep about the cut of procedure you do not have to work past your finish time
ted_e_bear
Posts: 4109
Joined: 03 Sep 2012, 19:37
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by ted_e_bear »

PHARRY wrote:
chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah

Where's mum or dad ?
Err it's no one elses business where mum or dad or any random person who might be able to help are, op is the sisters carer. That's the sort of crap that our Dom would come out with, you don't actually need an excuse if you want to finish on time !
PHARRY
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 327
Joined: 04 Nov 2013, 17:56
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by PHARRY »

ted_e_bear wrote:
PHARRY wrote:
chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah

Where's mum or dad ?
Err what's it got to do with you or anyone else where mum or dad or any random person who might be able to help are, op is the sisters carer. That's the sort of crap that our Dom would come out with, you don't actually need an excuse if you want to finish on time !


Or where's auntie uncle cousin grandfather
greengiant
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1268
Joined: 24 Mar 2014, 19:40
Gender: Male

Re: personal matter...

Post by greengiant »

PHARRY wrote:
ted_e_bear wrote:
PHARRY wrote:
chillout1571 wrote:Hello, I am my sister's carer and on Saturday she has a hospital appointment at 3pm that she must attend and I'm the only person who can drive her and take her.
My contract is meant to finish at 2.30pm, however we never finish that early. I must leave at that time on that day. Is there any leanience in this matter? Could I bring back the post?

Thanks,

Sarah

Where's mum or dad ?
Err what's it got to do with you or anyone else where mum or dad or any random person who might be able to help are, op is the sisters carer. That's the sort of crap that our Dom would come out with, you don't actually need an excuse if you want to finish on time !


Or where's auntie uncle cousin grandfather
Entirely irrelevant! :roll: The original poster is their sister's carer