ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE
ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!
second jobs...
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
second jobs...
Hello,
I have kept my previous job on a zero hour basis and I do one or two shifts a month. I haven't told the royal mail as there didn't seem any reason to. It is also always on a sunday, so never clashes.
One of my colleagues spotted me working today.
I just wondered if there was any problem with having a second job?
It isn't in direct competition with the royal mail and its on a casual basis.
Thanks
I have kept my previous job on a zero hour basis and I do one or two shifts a month. I haven't told the royal mail as there didn't seem any reason to. It is also always on a sunday, so never clashes.
One of my colleagues spotted me working today.
I just wondered if there was any problem with having a second job?
It isn't in direct competition with the royal mail and its on a casual basis.
Thanks
-
Hitcher
- Posts: 1530
- Joined: 20 Sep 2009, 09:59
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Pretty sure it's in the contract to tell them.
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: second jobs...
No problem having one but as above pretty sure you have to tell them.
We're all here because we're not all there
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Okay, Thanks for the Info. I shall inform them when I am next in.
-
TrueBlueTerrier
- FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
- Posts: 72727
- Joined: 30 Dec 2006, 10:29
- Gender: Male
- Location: On my couch
Re: second jobs...
chillout1571 wrote:Okay, Thanks for the Info. I shall inform them when I am next in.
Yep the advice hasn't changed since the last time you asked the relevant part of your contract is:
'Your employment with Royal Mail is a part time occupation. You must not engage in any other employment such that you would be unable to meet your contractual obligations to Royal Mail. Further, any additional hours of work you may perform for another employee aggregated with those that you perform under this contract must not exceed the limits that apply under the Working Time Regulations 1998 or any agreements that relate to working time. You must not be involved in or have an interest in the activities of any organisation whose business is in competition with that of Royal Mail or any of its business units or subsidiaries and must advise Royal Mail of any other employment which you hold or intend to take.'
All post by me in Green are Admin Posts.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
Any post in any other colour is my own responsibility.
If you like a news story I posted please click the link to show support Any news stories you can't post - PM me with a link
My sharing of news articles should not be interpreted as an endorsement or condemnation of any particular viewpoint or the issues presented. I share them solely for informational purposes.
-
yubin282
- Posts: 993
- Joined: 25 Jul 2014, 19:18
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
why doesn't the business just give us full-time contracts and we wouldn't have to take second jobs
-
aiden01
- MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
- Posts: 7001
- Joined: 27 Feb 2013, 21:43
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
no chance they want everyone ptlcook282 wrote:why doesn't the business just give us full-time contracts and we wouldn't have to take second jobs
-
toomuchcoke
- Posts: 309
- Joined: 05 Jun 2011, 18:15
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Though you'd have to wonder why, as pt's are not necessarily cheaper to employ. Yes, there's a small saving in employer's NI contributions but a pair of people on 19.5 hour contracts would require twice as much uniform, twice as many PDAs etc and use up more of management's time ...aiden01 wrote:no chance they want everyone ptlcook282 wrote:why doesn't the business just give us full-time contracts and we wouldn't have to take second jobs![]()
-
Newbie001
- Posts: 474
- Joined: 30 May 2014, 17:29
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Management time/training ...... zero.toomuchcoke wrote:Though you'd have to wonder why, as pt's are not necessarily cheaper to employ. Yes, there's a small saving in employer's NI contributions but a pair of people on 19.5 hour contracts would require twice as much uniform, twice as many PDAs etc and use up more of management's time ...aiden01 wrote:no chance they want everyone ptlcook282 wrote:why doesn't the business just give us full-time contracts and we wouldn't have to take second jobs![]()
Uniform ............. peanuts.
PDA's ........
Sick pay ........... half a salary...... plus how many new starts even last a year now.
Holidays ............. half a salary.
Most large firms don't give a **** about there employees, its all about short term gains.
-
Judgee
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 2262
- Joined: 23 Oct 2007, 15:18
Re: second jobs...
toomuchcoke wrote:Though you'd have to wonder why, as pt's are not necessarily cheaper to employ. Yes, there's a small saving in employer's NI contributions but a pair of people on 19.5 hour contracts would require twice as much uniform, twice as many PDAs etc and use up more of management's time ...aiden01 wrote:no chance they want everyone ptlcook282 wrote:why doesn't the business just give us full-time contracts and we wouldn't have to take second jobs![]()
They would be replacing two full timers and making up their hours up in overtime to fill the shortfall so they'd still spend the same on uniform etc. But they would save in holiday and sick pay and would only have to pay for the hours worked. Unlike when a few lucky full time posties still get to finish early and are still being paid for a full day.
Rm would save a fortune with nothing but part timers. Wouldn't be surprise if we all walked in after the five year grace period from the privatisation to find we all have spanking new part time contracts to sign!
Union what Union? Do we have a union?
-
Bahia Feliz
- Posts: 1169
- Joined: 22 Sep 2008, 21:04
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
When did he last ask?TrueBlueTerrier wrote:Yep the advice hasn't changed since the last time you asked
-
GT85
- Posts: 365
- Joined: 26 Nov 2013, 20:02
- Gender: Male
- Location: ASDO
Re: second jobs...
We're all here because we're not all there
-
Dorset Plodder
- Posts: 4351
- Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Years ago we had a Postie sacked because he was delivering parcels (which he did as a separate job) while he was delivering his Royal Mail stuff!
Got to admire the guys Brass Neck, although you'd have thought he would have got caught out soon than later?
Got to admire the guys Brass Neck, although you'd have thought he would have got caught out soon than later?
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
-
Henrietta
- Posts: 2
- Joined: 04 Sep 2011, 16:25
- Gender: Female
Re: second jobs...
I really do not see the point of telling RM what you do outside of contracted work hours. If it doesn't interfere with their hours etc..... isn't it called recreational time or free time?..... What I choose to do in my time that does not affect RM isn't any of their concern...
If people choose a second income that is their choice????.
We don't know what managers do/don't do with their time so why should they know about us?.
If it's tax we are talking about again that is a separate issue if you are taxed for both jobs then isn't that legal with no pressing issues?.
If people choose a second income that is their choice????.
We don't know what managers do/don't do with their time so why should they know about us?.
If it's tax we are talking about again that is a separate issue if you are taxed for both jobs then isn't that legal with no pressing issues?.
-
chillout1571
- EX ROYAL MAIL
- Posts: 82
- Joined: 19 Aug 2015, 18:25
- Gender: Male
Re: second jobs...
Henrietta wrote:I really do not see the point of telling RM what you do outside of contracted work hours. If it doesn't interfere with their hours etc..... isn't it called recreational time or free time?..... What I choose to do in my time that does not affect RM isn't any of their concern...
If people choose a second income that is their choice????.
We don't know what managers do/don't do with their time so why should they know about us?.
If it's tax we are talking about again that is a separate issue if you are taxed for both jobs then isn't that legal with no pressing issues?.
Well that is kind of what I thought. I mean, its two days a month, completely unrelated. Not in competition with RM. I'm taxed on my wage for both jobs. When I was interviewed, they asked me if I would have a second job. I said possibly, I may stay at my current job a day or so a week. He didn't react and I got the job. However it does appear, the official thing to do is disclose the second job. They also are giving me grief about my pre booked holiday. I told them in the interview, I emailed them before I started, I gave him the details on my first day and now they are being pretty weird about it all. Sigh.Lol.