ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

meal relief

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
sjnb6
Posts: 92
Joined: 16 May 2013, 21:49
Gender: Male

meal relief

Post by sjnb6 »

Is there a link for the rules regarding meal reliefs. anything signed by cwu and royal mail.
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: meal relief

Post by salomon »

I would love to know. Been with rm a year now and yet to see anyone sit down and take a break! I've certainly never managed it yet.Just about manage a quick drink and a wee before being having my HTC loaded on a van and dropped a mile away, no choice but to get a move on.
beanmuncha
Posts: 305
Joined: 21 Aug 2007, 23:11

Re: meal relief

Post by beanmuncha »

Search in the forum for meal relief and you will find lots of posts.

40 mins for full time

you should take your break everyday it's what your entitled too and it's your health!
wannabeek
Posts: 996
Joined: 27 Apr 2011, 00:49
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by wannabeek »

salomon wrote:I would love to know. Been with rm a year now and yet to see anyone sit down and take a break! I've certainly never managed it yet.Just about manage a quick drink and a wee before being having my HTC loaded on a van and dropped a mile away, no choice but to get a move on.
Seriously, try it. Just sit on a bench or a brick wall. Eat a packet of crisps, have a drink and think to yourself, 'I'm being paid by RM to do this.'

Then read the paper and think, 'RM are paying me to do this too.'

Then itch your balls and think, 'RM are also paying me to do this.'

Have your break, seriously! It changes the whole job massively.

I do long days, loads of OT clearing up and many of them wonder how I manage to keep going for a 12 hr day. Simple - I go at a steady pace and take every break I'm entitled to. It's alien to many of them, no wonder they're knackered after just 4 and a half hours on delivery!
Last edited by wannabeek on 28 Aug 2015, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: meal relief

Post by salomon »

Seriously tempted to take up smoking, they're the only ones I see sat down. It's impossible to take a break before delivery as I would miss my lift out and then have to walk the mile to the start, it's bad enough trudging back. But I do try to take a break while out except no toilets on my round so daren't drink too much,lol
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: meal relief

Post by bogstandard »

i'm an ex smoker of 20+ years, not a mad reformed ex smoker, just someone who doesn't anymore. Now i can handle the smoke when they are smoking but when they come back from the fag break its a different smell so why not go away for 2 mins citing the smell, or if like me you don't mind the smell when they are having the fag go with them and be sort of close.
I don't think smokers should be penalised for smoking or going for a cigarette
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
oldrope
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 221
Joined: 27 Oct 2007, 16:17
Location: lapland

Re: meal relief

Post by oldrope »

The MC I work at has a gym so I go in on my break and think RM are paying me todo this.
Creditshampoo
Posts: 1189
Joined: 06 Oct 2014, 19:48
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by Creditshampoo »

salomon wrote:Seriously tempted to take up smoking, they're the only ones I see sat down. It's impossible to take a break before delivery as I would miss my lift out and then have to walk the mile to the start, it's bad enough trudging back. But I do try to take a break while out except no toilets on my round so daren't drink too much,lol
As you would miss your lift? That's not your problem, that's the managers problem for letting the van leave before people have had their entitled 20 minute break before delivery.
Have a break, if it leaves its up the management to sort it.
If they insist you trudge all the way there inform them you may have to cut off as it will take you close to going over your delivery time.

Their problem, not yours. Breaks are a paid entitlement.

I know some people who don't take breaks, and only just finish on time. If they booked extra this could be £100odd a month in excess they're throwing away.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: meal relief

Post by DGP1 »

I always take my break, something to eat to replenish the energy reserves certainly makes me feel much better and I can normally get a chapter or 2 read of my book :Very Happy
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
BarnsleyLackey
Posts: 349
Joined: 24 Aug 2011, 16:07
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by BarnsleyLackey »

bogstandard wrote:i'm an ex smoker of 20+ years, not a mad reformed ex smoker, just someone who doesn't anymore. Now i can handle the smoke when they are smoking but when they come back from the fag break its a different smell so why not go away for 2 mins citing the smell, or if like me you don't mind the smell when they are having the fag go with them and be sort of close.
I don't think smokers should be penalised for smoking or going for a cigarette
Smoking is a vice. If you take it up and need time away from the job you're paid to do, then it should come off your break.
newboy23

Re: meal relief

Post by newboy23 »

oldrope wrote:The MC I work at has a gym so I go in on my break and think RM are paying me todo this.
Brilliant :nana
Ahebban
Posts: 695
Joined: 19 May 2009, 13:41
Gender: Male
Location: Left of ... Left

Re: meal relief

Post by Ahebban »

pages 22 and 23 of the Way Forward Agreement cover off Meal Relief. You can find the Way Forward Agreement in the Download section on this site :)
Ahebban - anglo-saxon in origin - meaning 'Wages War'

What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight, what counts is the size of the fight in the dog. - Mark Twain
eastie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 2234
Joined: 16 Jun 2011, 15:32
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by eastie »

If there is no designated place for a toilet break on your round then the DOM has to get someone to pick you up to take you back to the office and drop you back
Other than that, take a drinks bottle out with you and piss in the back of the van if you don't have a HCT
I_Take_My_Breaks
Posts: 55
Joined: 07 Feb 2014, 09:13
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by I_Take_My_Breaks »

eastie wrote:If there is no designated place for a toilet break on your round then the DOM has to get someone to pick you up to take you back to the office and drop you back
Other than that, take a drinks bottle out with you and piss in the back of the van if you don't have a HCT
And if you start to touch cloth take one of these. Don't worry about poo bags, pouch bags* available after 1st loop.

http://www.firebox.com/product/2351/s**t-Box" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* Please dispose of properly by leaving in designated Line Managers/DOM Office.
rambo1
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 3266
Joined: 12 Jun 2013, 20:00
Gender: Male

Re: meal relief

Post by rambo1 »

So if I have meal relief 20 mins before going out, my partner comes in and has to take meal relief before they even start! How's that suppose to work?