ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

3 MONTH CONTRACT

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by richiebroon »

So I've just received my second 3 month contract. I have been in the job since last November and after 6 months in may I received a new 3 month contract up until 15th August. That's now ran out and I've now received a contract which takes me up to 21st november. when this contract runs out I will have a full years service.

I started on a 6 month contract and was assured that I would have a permanent contract after the 6 months. Why am I receiving 3 month fixed term contracts? My attendance is perfect and I have 0 conducts against me.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

It's pretty much normal, your dom probably wants to have the facility to cut hours from your office so having people on rolling temp contracts helps give him that option, once you hit two years then get the union to push to get it made permanent, until then you can still push for it buy it could put a target on your back, I would just politely just keep asking him when it's going to be made permanent
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by bustedflush »

I went through the same and I wouldn't worry. It's extremely rare for someone to do a year and end up not getting renewed. I had about 7 contracts in 2 years before being substantiated (perm OPG grade) as per the 'Way Forward' agreement between RM and the CWU. This means you should (and if not ask!) be made permanent after 2 years maximum on temp contracts. The legal period is a maximum of 4 years on FTC's before you MUST be made permanent.

You will continually have long-term sicknesses, retirements and IHRs/leavers in your office and you will always have work. Like I said it's normal, your situation. September starts a busy 7-month period including Christmas obviously and March/April which are busiest after December. I would be quite shocked if you were terminated before 2 years.

P.S. Trust me, you have as much chance of being terminated on 21/11 (just as the mental period starts!) as Watford have of winning the PL..... :Very Happy
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by richiebroon »

Cheers guys. Just a pain in the arse.

Also, we're recruiting in our office at the moment and I feel it would be pretty unfair on me and the guys I started with if the new people were to come in on 6 month contracts when we're only getting the 3.

I've been told not to worry about it but what if I was off sick for example on a 3 month contract. Doesn't look very good.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

richiebroon wrote:Cheers guys. Just a pain in the arse.

Also, we're recruiting in our office at the moment and I feel it would be pretty unfair on me and the guys I started with if the new people were to come in on 6 month contracts when we're only getting the 3.

I've been told not to worry about it but what if I was off sick for example on a 3 month contract. Doesn't look very good.

If they are recruiting for 6 month contract then apply for that, they would need to give it to the most senior person who wanted it before letting an external applicant get it
IloveMYredTROLLEY!
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1923
Joined: 02 Apr 2010, 06:54
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by IloveMYredTROLLEY! »

Did you get a pay rise (~50p per hour?) after the first 6 months? It should go up again when you reach 12 months.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by richiebroon »

IloveMYredTROLLEY! wrote:Did you get a pay rise (~50p per hour?) after the first 6 months? It should go up again when you reach 12 months.
Yeah I got the payrise
salomon
Posts: 52
Joined: 28 Nov 2014, 21:18
Gender: Female

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by salomon »

That's all standard, don't forget the new ones coming in on the initial 6 month contracts are on trial for a year. You are now no longer on trial after your full year and are on full pay but yes will continue on 3 monthly contracts for years!!
bustedflush
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1493
Joined: 16 Feb 2013, 11:19
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by bustedflush »

zx135 wrote:
richiebroon wrote:Cheers guys. Just a pain in the arse.

Also, we're recruiting in our office at the moment and I feel it would be pretty unfair on me and the guys I started with if the new people were to come in on 6 month contracts when we're only getting the 3.

I've been told not to worry about it but what if I was off sick for example on a 3 month contract. Doesn't look very good.

If they are recruiting for 6 month contract then apply for that, they would need to give it to the most senior person who wanted it before letting an external applicant get it

That's incorrect. Nearly all new recruits are taken on standard 6-month contracts, hence the 6-month pay rise. The person taken on on a 6-monther has no bearing on the OP's point. Like the OP, the latest 6-monther will then get a succession of 2,3 monthers and be before the OP if they choose to get rid of anybody, assuming the Op's good conduct. Seniority starts from day 1.
IcanthelpthewayIam
Posts: 4067
Joined: 26 May 2009, 13:37
Gender: Male

Re: 3 MONTH CONTRACT

Post by IcanthelpthewayIam »

bustedflush wrote:
zx135 wrote:
richiebroon wrote:Cheers guys. Just a pain in the arse.

Also, we're recruiting in our office at the moment and I feel it would be pretty unfair on me and the guys I started with if the new people were to come in on 6 month contracts when we're only getting the 3.

I've been told not to worry about it but what if I was off sick for example on a 3 month contract. Doesn't look very good.

If they are recruiting for 6 month contract then apply for that, they would need to give it to the most senior person who wanted it before letting an external applicant get it

That's incorrect. Nearly all new recruits are taken on standard 6-month contracts, hence the 6-month pay rise. The person taken on on a 6-monther has no bearing on the OP's point. Like the OP, the latest 6-monther will then get a succession of 2,3 monthers and be before the OP if they choose to get rid of anybody, assuming the Op's good conduct. Seniority starts from day 1.
Seniority plays no part on which person would be gotten rid of, seniority can not be used for compulsory redundancies or termination of contracts. who goes would be simply down to who's contract was due for renewal or whos work was no longer there and if you had 1 month left on a 3 month contract or 5 months left on a 6 month contract then the guy on the 3 month contract would be most likely to find it would not be renewed regardless if he was more senior yo the 6 month contract holder