ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
richiebroon
Posts: 58
Joined: 21 Oct 2014, 18:48
Gender: Male

Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Post by richiebroon »

Can you refuse to do a duty because you believe your own safety would be at risk because of a customer on that duty?

I ask as I am a reserve in office and my sisters ex partner is an extremely violent person who has threatened my family members and the police have had to be involved with him several times. I've no doubt that were I to do the duty where he lived he would approach me and there would be an altercation between us if he was to see me working in the area.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

I seem to remember a similar post a while ago. If you approach your DOM and provide him with the facts I'm sure he could get you to cover another duty. It's not as if you're saying you don't want to work. I wouldn't think there'd be a problem.....But then I'm not a manager! :hmmmm
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)
Surreypostie
Posts: 999
Joined: 04 Aug 2013, 21:05
Gender: Male

Re: Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Post by Surreypostie »

I'm sure you would be moved, Royal Mail have a duty of care towards you. Once you have brought this to his attention, if you are assaulted his arse and Royal Mails would be on the line.
bogstandard
Posts: 1074
Joined: 08 Nov 2007, 06:16

Re: Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Post by bogstandard »

Yep, as above, tell your DOM. If they do nothing get your concerns to them in writing. I say this as in my experiance they tend to "forget" conversations or the salient points at least.
Confused... You won't be, after the next episode of. SOAP
Dorset Plodder
Posts: 4351
Joined: 29 Apr 2009, 20:05
Gender: Male

Re: Refusing Certain Duties/walks

Post by Dorset Plodder »

You're right BS.......put it in writing (and keep a copy yourself). Don't expect a written reply though, in all my years of submitting written requests and grievances not once have I received anything in return. I firmly believe it's a management tactic, to avoid having anything bought up at a later date. ;liar
Like all Wage Slaves, he had two crosses to bear: The people he worked for and the people he worked with! (Stephen Vizinczey.)