ANNOUNCEMENT : ALL OF ROYAL MAIL'S EMPLOYMENT POLICIES (AGREEMENTS) AT A GLANCE (Updated 2021)... HERE

ANNOUNCEMENT : PLEASE BE AWARE WE ARE NOT ON FACEBOOK AT ALL!

Special delivery

Postal workers discussion forum. Discuss the day to day life in a Blue Shirt.
iomsteve
Posts: 3
Joined: 19 Mar 2011, 07:16
Gender: Male

Special delivery

Post by iomsteve »

I seem to have a grey area regarding special deliveries on a Saturday not so long ago I did some overtime on a Saturday and got a good telling off for not taking the specials I didn't because I would not have got there for 1 o'clock! Was told they are not guaranteed for 1 o'clock on a Saturday!!! . Recently on a normal duty on a Saturday delivered at after 1 o'clock Because of what I had been told previously .......,,was reprimanded again because not delivered before 1 o'clock l What is the actual ,,"law,"Regarding specials on a Saturday ,,, are specials to be delivered by 1 o'clock ,? Are Saturday guaranteed specials guaranteed for 1 o'clock or just guaranteed for Saturday ? Are specials sent on Friday only guaranteed for Monday I'm getting so many conflicting answers I don't know what's what !!!
coxie
EX ROYAL MAIL
Posts: 1336
Joined: 09 Oct 2009, 14:57
Gender: Male

Re: Special delivery

Post by coxie »

You're right they are not guaranteed by 1pm however we have to deliver them by 1 o'clock on a Saturday because of royal mails crappy outdated system, it still shows up as a failure which could lead to fines.

Posted in wrong section by the way
SpacePhoenix
MAIL CENTRES/PROCESSING
Posts: 12184
Joined: 12 Nov 2008, 17:03
Gender: Male

Re: Special delivery

Post by SpacePhoenix »

All DOs this way will attempt all specials on Saturday unless there's an official retention in place
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

iomsteve wrote:I I don't know what's what !!!
Nobody does. It's just down to the whims of your manager.

SG has to be attempted by 1pm on a saturday, everything else is just down to opinions.
dave72
Posts: 415
Joined: 30 Nov 2010, 14:54
Gender: Male

Re: Special delivery

Post by dave72 »

People who pay for Saturday Guarantee are having their pants pulled down on the extra fee then? :hmmmm
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Special delivery

Post by DGP1 »

If you get issued the SDs from the cage then they're due for delivery before 1pm that day.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
raikky
Posts: 212
Joined: 19 Jun 2011, 01:09
Gender: Female

Re: Special delivery

Post by raikky »

that's right all SDs on a sat must be attempted delivery before 1pm. which makes the SG a conn.
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

DGP1 wrote:If you get issued the SDs from the cage then they're due for delivery before 1pm that day.
Why are they issued from the cage ?
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

raikky wrote:that's right all SDs on a sat must be attempted delivery before 1pm. .
Why?
Jack Rouse
Posts: 74
Joined: 09 Jul 2014, 20:01
Gender: Male

Re: Special delivery

Post by Jack Rouse »

I was once told that an SG has to be attempted by 1pm, but you could refuse to deliver ordinary Specials, or deliver them after 1pm.
DGP1
Posts: 15551
Joined: 07 Jun 2007, 20:39
Gender: Male
Location: Terminus

Re: Special delivery

Post by DGP1 »

NewPostieUK wrote:
DGP1 wrote:If you get issued the SDs from the cage then they're due for delivery before 1pm that day.
Why are they issued from the cage ?
As opposed to were? Is it just a free for all in your office, everyone just take their own specials or are they taken and scanned in then handed out to individual duties from the cage/RLE.
Must be the reason why some offices are so crap with their scanning.
I'm preparing myself for the zombie invasion, rule number 1 - Cardio
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

DGP1 wrote:
NewPostieUK wrote:
DGP1 wrote:If you get issued the SDs from the cage then they're due for delivery before 1pm that day.
Why are they issued from the cage ?
As opposed to were? Is it just a free for all in your office, everyone just take their own specials or are they taken and scanned in then handed out to individual duties from the cage/RLE.
Must be the reason why some offices are so crap with their scanning.
I mean why are they issued from the cage on a saturday of they are not SG's? Surely they should go out on the monday?
Pinky 1
Posts: 1510
Joined: 01 Mar 2009, 11:38
Gender: Male
Location: Wales

Re: Special delivery

Post by Pinky 1 »

As you've said yourself NewPostieUK
Nobody does. It's just down to the whims of your manager.
SG has to be attempted by 1pm on a saturday, everything else is just down to opinions.
Our office does the same as DGP's office, and they all go out on a Saturday.
A neighbouring office to mine treats them like your office does, and they don't go out.

And we share the same area DOM. :cuppa
"Cara yn bod 'n briod , dydy 'n fawr at ca a hun 'n anad berson a 'ch angen at blina achos 'r bwyso chan 'ch buchedd "
" I like being married,, it's great to find that one special person you want to bother for the rest of your life "
NewPostieUK
Posts: 2104
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 21:38
Gender: Male
Location: SickAsAChipLand

Re: Special delivery

Post by NewPostieUK »

They all go out in my office, and are all done by 1pm. What I'm saying is, they shouldn't .. unless they are SG.
PHGandmore
Posts: 14
Joined: 24 May 2014, 20:38
Gender: Male
Location: Delivery Office

Re: Special delivery

Post by PHGandmore »

I can only speak for our office but we were told all Specials had to be delivered by 1pm on a Saturday.
I politely told the DOM they were wrong and was told to do as we were told.
Our union rep emailed Moya regarding the rules for Saturday specials and received an email back
saying exactly what we knew
Only specials that have a Saturday guarenteed on them are to be delivered by 1pm
If you post a special on Friday at a post office they will tell you it is not guarenteed until 1pm Monday.

This had the desired effect, now we can deliver after 1pm and have never had a failure show up.

As I say this is only what we do in our office.